RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one,

My RR Satnav used to work perfectly before i had my mobilizer issues. I wanted to use it the other day to find an address but when i pressed the satnav button the display showed my cars position as way out to sea ! i selected settings and re-calibrate my cars actual position which i set to where the car actually was on the map but when i drove around the position didn't keep up with the car and eventually it showed me as being in a completely different place again ? very strange ! is there something else i`m supposed to do to set the cars position or is the GPS unit faulty ?

cheers,

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
2 Posts
It maybe worth trying ejecting the disc and cleaning it, the system should then reset when you load the disc again, I had a problem in Spain the system was working fine country to country until mid-way through Spain then gave me the message map reading error, followed shortly by disc inserted is not a dvd, ejected and cleaned all fine now. Worth a try.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Mine does something similar where I get in the car, set my destination and it has me somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. It has always corrected itself with a system reset (pos neg off the battery, touched together then refit)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did do a few resets of the car when i was having starting issues but i`m worried i may have fried the GPS unit as i have read other posts on here that its possible to do damage to the unit while changing the battery ect. i`ll have another look a the system this weekend and try cleaning the disk and the settings on the menu. it would be a shame if the GPS unit was so easily damaged by something as simple as disconnecting the battery but then again nothing surprises me with a Range rover any more !! haha

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yoou need to be careful when disconnecting the battery. You have to wait 2 minutes at least after last shutting the truck down and pulling the key from the ignition switch, as it takes that long for the GPS to go thru its shutdown process. If you disconnect the battery any sooner it can get locked up, but the fact that it still displays a position even if its out in the ocean doesn't sound like that happened. If you push the home button (assuming your home) does it go to the proper position on the map? Could be an antenna failure as well. You can access the GPS values by placing the head unit in diagnostic mode, hold your finger in the middle of the screen about 1/2 down from the top for 5 seconds or so and a keypad will appear (eventually) then you press 753 OK to get to the diagnostics. One of the menus is GPS related and will display the number of satellites it is reading.

Reactions: ColinP

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
to re-calibrate most GPS systems you find an empty section of parking lot and drive some figure 8s

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just got a 2008 RR Vogue, the GPS puts me in the middle of the channel and TV screen not working.
And the phone says not connected.
Don't have a owners manual or build sheet are these available on line, any suggestions.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Don't have a owners manual or build sheet are these available on line, any suggestions.
register with TOPIx and owner manuals are free to read in pdf format. build sheet has nothing to with your issue.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Did you pair the phone, enter code 2121 for the bluetooth pairing. Since both the TV and GPS don't work (correctly) I think a good place to start is the antenna on the roof, assuming the GPS doesn't just need to be recalibrated.

Navigation Calibration.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts