RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to sand down the carbon SVR hood to have it exposed like the factory exposed ones?

I was talking to 1016 industries about possibly buying a carbon hood, or an OEM one, and they said this is possible?

Can anyone vouch for this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
247 Posts
Don't know why the hood couldn't be carefully sanded down to the gel coat and then sprayed with clear coat. Problem is you won't know what the carbon matting looks like until it's exposed so may not be as aesthetically pleasing as a hood built to show the mat.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
298 Posts
I recently saw this on Instagram.

Looks like they wrapped the hood in CF.
But they claim it’s a factory hood, I think they could be mistaken? Factory hoods only have CF exposed in the centre of the hood and not the whole hood.
I could be missing something?

Something to think bout. If you want to see what it looks like, you can always test it on the underside of the hood that has exposed CF. I think that would give you a good indication of what it would look like?
If you don’t like it then you’ll never see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see that a lot of people are doing these kind of things and I don't get it really. I was never a fan of how carbon fiber looks like and exposing them might not be a good idea. If you want that look you can just paint it like that. It is good to know how to sand and prepare your car for painting and I think that anyone can learn it. You can check out the 8 best power sanders, cordless and corded and get one for yourself for a good price. After that you can practice at home and learn how to do something that can be really costly.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
238 Posts
I'd be wary of removing the paint to expose the carbon fiber. If this follows carbon fiber bike frames, the carbon fiber that's destined to be painted does not have the decorative layer and won't look very nice.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
153 Posts
There are now Chinese SVR carbon copy hoods but the whole thing is exposed carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to run a plant where we made carbon fiber fishing rods. Part of the process involved sanding the rod blank to remove the outer layer of resin. If we sanded too much, the carbon fibers would be exposed and we had to throw the rod blank away. I have no idea how the RRS hood is made, but from what I know about carbon fiber, I'd be surprised if sanding it would turn out well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts