RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here ever been? I am going to be traveling there in the next couple months to meet my brides family and I wanted to find out as much as I can. Everything I know about South America is from Clear and Present Danger and Man on Fire. So help fill me in. :roll:

How high is the risk of kid napping now?? Is it strictly political or also for profit, meaning a high risk for foriegn nationals? Her family is in politics so this is high on my list of concerns, her dad got kid napped in 99' but that was also 11 years ago. They have security but I cant find myself trusting them to much. I would like to know this stuff first hand.

Anyone know of a good hotel to stay at and any resturants worth trying while I am there? It seems like a very interesting place and I didnt see any State Department warnings so I am hoping for a smooth trip. Her father has a D90 that we are going to drive while there which is going to be fun. She is all set for shopping with her mom so I will have alittle time to explore. Probbly hire a fishing guide since they work for so **** cheap. `)

·
Registered
206 Posts
OMFG Leo... El Salvador is located in Central America !

It's pretty sad how the US American people don't know what's beyond the rio Grande. Being from South America, Argentina to be precise, I almost always receive a long stare when telling a gringo (us citizen) where I'm from.

Anyway, just to make this post useful, don't believe Hollywood.

Grab a copy of Lonely Planet and explore by yourself.

N.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want to get technical its North America. So instead of insulting me for calling it South American, as its residents do (I know because Im married to one), you should whip out your map and study.

I was looking for some helpful info on El Salvador. Anyone have any advice or travel tips?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
If you want to get technical its North America. So instead of insulting me for calling it South American, as its residents do (I know because Im married to one), you should whip out your map and study.

I was looking for some helpful info on El Salvador. Anyone have any advice or travel tips?
really ? So I guess the 7 countries that conform Central America are missinformed.

Check it out for yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_America

Anyway, I didn't mean to insult you, just wanted to point out something that's been annoying me for some time. Of course there are many gringos that are well travelled and know their maps (I'm on the fence about you right now :) ). If I wanted to insult you, I'd brought out the spare wheel on the hood subject... :twisted: Having said that, my recomendation on Lonely Planet stands. Have a look, seriously.

Cheers,

N.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
Ok??? :think:

Boy, you guys sure are testy.

Anyway, I've been... it's really nice, and best appreciated w/ a local (especially one w/ Pesos :lol: ) which it seems you will be doing.

I 2nd the don't believe the hype thing, but caution is always advisable. You guys will have security and hopefully people to not allow you to become overly revealing of your "gringoness", and hence kidnap-ability.

On that subject, the best way to truly enjoy it is to really avoid the "American" stigmata. Not to say you will or do, but even I, born in Africa, grew up in Cuba and Jamaica, find it hard not to let my starbucks mentality kick in when i go "home". Anyway, you have the right idea- I did all of C.A. in a Jeep, and would've given my left nut to have had my D90- so u r going to so have a great time- assuming it's prepared for the great terrain Salvador has- gorgeous scenery- there better be at least a 100 shots of you traversing the wilds.)

I also 2nd the lonely planet. they're hands down the best pre-travel guide. Once there, throw it back in your luggage and ask the locals to take you to the hot spots.

Suerte y paz

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Geo-political Fun and Games
Brought to you by Wikipedia.

"El Salvador is the smallest and also the most densely populated country in Central America"

However as well as being listed as part of Central America
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Am ... _geography
El Salvador is also part of North America
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... erritories

This is explained by "North America is often divided into subregions but no universally accepted divisions exist. Central America comprises the southern region of the continent, but its northern terminus varies between sources."

However, I propose simple system developed by looking at map for all of five seconds.

North America - the fat bit at the top (USA and Canada)
Central America - the skinny bit in the middle (Mexico down to Panama)
South America - the bottom bit (Columbia, Venezuela and all points south as far as Tierra del Fuego).

Now that's sorted, I can go and settle that wee argument in the middle east `)

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next Jimmy Carter. :wink:

She moved here when she was 14 so Im not putting much faith in her memory of the roads or city. She cant find her way in our house. :lol: Well its nice to know its hype and really not that bad there. Im worried about her wanting to stay more than her getting kid napped. :roll:

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
Choose Salvador vs life con el dr Leo? U have no worries. My ex is from Honduras. Similar indiginesous culture dominates everything. Si get used to arepas morning noon & night.
It's a cool place if u want to really explore the outback like a modern day conuistador.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drdread said:
Choose Salvador vs life con el dr Leo? U have no worries. My ex is from Honduras. Similar indiginesous culture dominates everything. Si get used to arepas morning noon & night.
It's a cool place if u want to really explore the outback like a modern day conuistador.

I couldnt leave her. I would just have to learn Spanish. :lol:

Paul can tell you all about my excellent language skills. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone ever driven that far south on Panamerica/Central America 1?

Seems like a good adventure for a P38.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts