RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with faking the resistance for the SAI pump.. Mine has been rusted solid since purchased and I would like to kill the fault messages. They are the only ones for now :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The faults are based on more then just the motor running, so even if you did this and it thought the pump was doing its job, you would still through faults for system operation based on O2 sensor shift.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense and I would have to agree. But, has someone has ever tried this and it did not work?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there calls for the air pump other than cold starts? I did not get the faults when engine started warm.

When I think about it more, the fault kicks on after a short period of time and not immediately with the pump disconnected. So, current draw should be irrelevant? Like you say the system is looking for a change from the 02 sensors.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
There are two separate tests run on the system to check for proper operation. In simple terms, the passive test, what checks for a lean shift in the O2 sensors(among other things) is ran first, if it does not pass, then the active test runs, which is where pump current is monitored(again, among other things).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In other words if there was an easy by pass you would know.. Thanks for being patient with me..

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Easiest way to get around of it, legality aside, would be to swap the ECU from a non-sai vehicle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had one and it would not sync up with the BECM?? One other question.. The pump that seized was rusted solid and the filter was deteriorated. I beleive that this truck has been in limp mode since it was purchased until recent. Is it safe to say there are other issues with the pump system too? Or, running in limp mode for so long could have seized up to pump since it may not have been getting called for action? Or, do the pumps get the call when system is limping along?

P.S. I did not get these faults prior - So, I'm guessing limp mode does not use air pump??

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The Engine Management System will disable certain fault codes if others are present.

For example, since the SAI system uses O2 sensor feedback to determine correct operation, if there was a fault for an upstream sensor, the tests for the SAI system would not have been run in the first place, and allowed to fail. Also, coolant temp, and intake air temp are used for many different monitoring conditions, so if these are faulted, there are many other systems that will not be able to test themselves.

There are only a few other components in the SAI system (a vacuum harness, solenoid and reservoir, two valves, and some tubing) so I would by no means condemn the entire system due to a mechanical failure of the pump.

I have no clue on pricing, and haven't checked, but I'm sure you could find a SAI pump in a junkyard, or on ebay that is in working condition for relatively cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts