Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have a 2008 RRS. I had both right air struts replaced. Both had small leaks. My mechanic who is extremely reputable recommended an aftermarket brand which he has on his 09 RRS. When the vehicle is turned on it airs right up and there are no issues while driving( no suspension lights)

Things I have noticed since the replacement.

They sag within 2-3 hours of sitting in the driveway. Which the left side does not. I let my mechanic know and he swapped both of them. The issue still persists.

what is also odd is if I lift the car it seems to let air out evenly and will eventually sag after a couple days but evenly. Basically a static test.

another issue is now the vehicle will not stay down when put it in access mode. It believes something is underneath the vehicle. Even in a flat empty parking lot.

my mechanic has changed all fittings associated with those components. He is thoroughly confused ( btw did not charge me for anything since he could not figure it out)

I do recall having a 06 Dodge Charger that did not like any aftermarket brand parts. I had to buy from dodge/mopar parts. Things such as oil temp sensor and cam sensors.

I am considering having him install OEM Land Rover air struts to replace the aftermarket ones. Still don’t see how this would solve my problem but it’s getting annoying. It makes the Range Rover feel cheap that it can’t sit in my driveway without getting lopsided.

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
15 Posts
Front suspension leaking down while parked could be the valves in the front valve block if all else is ok. Have him pull the fender liner back and see if the front valve block outlet is losing air for the RF strut (soap it up and look for air bubbles). My 2010 did this, was tricky to figure out until I understood what was going on. In my case the drier for the compressor was coming apart and spread desiccant throughout the system which got into the valve blocks causing leaks. I too replaced my aftermarket front strut (Arnott) a 2nd time for a slow leak when in fact it wasn't the root cause.

Permanent fix for mine was new compressor/drier and new front and rear valve blocks. I have mine lifted about 1" and it can sit for a few weeks with no sagging or leaning now. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front suspension leaking down while parked could be the valves in the front valve block if all else is ok. Have him pull the fender liner back and see if the front valve block outlet is losing air for the RF strut (soap it up and look for air bubbles). My 2010 did this, was tricky to figure out until I understood what was going on. In my case the drier for the compressor was coming apart and spread desiccant throughout the system which got into the valve blocks causing leaks. I too replaced my aftermarket front strut (Arnott) a 2nd time for a slow leak when in fact it wasn't the root cause.

Permanent fix for mine was new compressor/drier and new front and rear valve blocks. I have mine lifted about 1" and it can sit for a few weeks with no sagging or leaning now. Hope this helps.
thank you for the response. I believe the blocks where changed out with new ones to try to resolve the issue. I do know they soaped the system trying to find any tiny leaks. Also I believe arnott is the brand of air struts he used to replace the OEM.

·
Registered
2009 facelift Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6
2 Posts
Hello everyone.

I have a 2008 RRS. I had both right air struts replaced. Both had small leaks. My mechanic who is extremely reputable recommended an aftermarket brand which he has on his 09 RRS. When the vehicle is turned on it airs right up and there are no issues while driving( no suspension lights)

Things I have noticed since the replacement.

They sag within 2-3 hours of sitting in the driveway. Which the left side does not. I let my mechanic know and he swapped both of them. The issue still persists.

what is also odd is if I lift the car it seems to let air out evenly and will eventually sag after a couple days but evenly. Basically a static test.

another issue is now the vehicle will not stay down when put it in access mode. It believes something is underneath the vehicle. Even in a flat empty parking lot.

my mechanic has changed all fittings associated with those components. He is thoroughly confused ( btw did not charge me for anything since he could not figure it out)

I do recall having a 06 Dodge Charger that did not like any aftermarket brand parts. I had to buy from dodge/mopar parts. Things such as oil temp sensor and cam sensors.

I am considering having him install OEM Land Rover air struts to replace the aftermarket ones. Still don’t see how this would solve my problem but it’s getting annoying. It makes the Range Rover feel cheap that it can’t sit in my driveway without getting lopsided.

any help is appreciated
Has the suspension been recalibrated?
Each sensor gives an integer reading. For example 140. This is not a measurement just an indicator of sensor position. So the right hand sensors for example may be reporting 140 at a sensor position of 60 degrees and the left ones at 70 degrees. The 140 is just a figure I’m giving of course to illustrate and provide context. When the suspension components are reassembled the wishbones must be at a certain measurement from the wheels arches to retain the vehicles previous calibration. Maybe your mechanic did not do this? The appropriate software can read the values on each corner and reset them. Or there could still be a leak too. Remove the suspension relay and carry out a drop test overnight. Search RSW solutions for a video on how to do the drop test and recalibrate the suspension.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has the suspension been recalibrated?
Each sensor gives an integer reading. For example 140. This is not a measurement just an indicator of sensor position. So the right hand sensors for example may be reporting 140 at a sensor position of 60 degrees and the left ones at 70 degrees. The 140 is just a figure I’m giving of course to illustrate and provide context. When the suspension components are reassembled the wishbones must be at a certain measurement from the wheels arches to retain the vehicles previous calibration. Maybe your mechanic did not do this? The appropriate software can read the values on each corner and reset them. Or there could still be a leak too. Remove the suspension relay and carry out a drop test overnight. Search RSW solutions for a video on how to do the drop test and recalibrate the suspension.
Thank you for the response. Yes the system was recalibrated. I replaced the front right strut first and added 275/55/20” hankook all terrains. I had zero issues it all worked fine. A couple months later the right rear started to leak. I had the rear replaced. When I got it back everything seemed fine. The issue seems to be getting worse overtime. It seems to sag sooner and sooner. My mechanic only works on jaguars/land rovers so he’s very knowledgeable on the vehicles. His friend who’s a mechanic at Land Rover could not seem to find the issue either.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
509 Posts
Is the compressor original ? The exhaust value springs are known to fail on these - that is a cheap and relatively easy replacement ... not sure if that explains yuor particular leak down .. but another thing to check

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the compressor original ? The exhaust value springs are known to fail on these - that is a cheap and relatively easy replacement ... not sure if that explains yuor particular leak down .. but another thing to check
The compressor to my knowledge is original. I would think that would cause an issue on all 4 corners?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still no luck. I have spent a couple hours soaping the right side of the vehicle for any leaks. Considering just going to OEM and see if it changes anything. Will update thread when issue is solved.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Still no luck. I have spent a couple hours soaping the right side of the vehicle for any leaks. Considering just going to OEM and see if it changes anything. Will update thread when issue is solved.
The system can leak internally and the air will exit the compressor exhaust port - have you checked to see if air is coming out there?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The system can leak internally and the air will exit the compressor exhaust port - have you checked to see if air is coming out there?
I have not but let me give it a look. Question though. How is the system configured? From my understanding the compressor goes to an air valve in the middle of vehicle which allows air to the front valve and rear valve . Then from those valves it goes to drive and passenger side. So I’m confused as to why it would only cause the right side to sag so bad.

·
Registered
Now: 2016 RRS SVR. Previous: 2006 Range Rover Sport, 206k miles!
142 Posts
When the struts were swapped L-R, did the opposite side sag? (meaning it followed the struts). A while back I used Arnott struts on my '06 RRS and found that the fitting in the top of the strut was leaking. Not the air line fitting, but the adapter between the air line and the strut. This wasn't something I could replace as it's built into the strut. Found it by the soap technique but took an effort. Actually had 2 sets do this. Went back to OEM and never had an issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When the struts were swapped L-R, did the opposite side sag? (meaning it followed the struts). A while back I used Arnott struts on my '06 RRS and found that the fitting in the top of the strut was leaking. Not the air line fitting, but the adapter between the air line and the strut. This wasn't something I could replace as it's built into the strut. Found it by the soap technique but took an effort. Actually had 2 sets do this. Went back to OEM and never had an issue.
they were not swapped right to left. But our issue does sound similar and I believe it’s the strut assembly. I’m sure arnotts work for 95% of people but I just think I have one of those picky OEM vehicles. I have had 2 different set or arnotts from and rear passenger side and the exact same issue occurs. Thank you for this response.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My comment above was based on the fact that you had tested for external leaks and did not have any. If you suspension is dropping the air has got to be going somewhere and if there are no external leaks the only way it can get out is via the compressor exhaust port.

However if you do have external leaks and missed them then all bets are off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cor
My comment above was based on the fact that you had tested for external leaks and did not have any. If you suspension is dropping the air has got to be going somewhere and if there are no external leaks the only way it can get out is via the compressor exhaust port.

However if you do have external leaks and missed them then all bets are off.
I understood you. Makes total sense. The system has been checked for external leaks and any part in question was replaced. I was just wondering if you had knowledge as to why one side would sag and the other not.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The only obvious thing is that you do have a leak in either the airbags or connectors on the side that deflates and that you have missed the leaks.

Reading back through the posts it is clearly related to the airbag replacement so the leak idea is the likely culprit. Clearly if you did not have these issues other than leaky bags before the strut change then your current issues are related to the work/parts done.

Something I had missed was "another issue is now the vehicle will not stay down when put it in access mode. It believes something is underneath the vehicle. Even in a flat empty parking lot." - this classic height sensors needing calbrating. Is it related to your settling issue? I dont know but I would get this fixed first and see what happens. Sometimes when you go to access and it starts to go back up hit lock at access height again and sometimes it works - sometimes not.

Sorry but other than that I dont think I am able to offer much more - is certainly perplexing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only obvious thing is that you do have a leak in either the airbags or connectors on the side that deflates and that you have missed the leaks.

Reading back through the posts it is clearly related to the airbag replacement so the leak idea is the likely culprit. Clearly if you did not have these issues other than leaky bags before the strut change then your current issues are related to the work/parts done.

Something I had missed was "another issue is now the vehicle will not stay down when put it in access mode. It believes something is underneath the vehicle. Even in a flat empty parking lot." - this classic height sensors needing calbrating. Is it related to your settling issue? I dont know but I would get this fixed first and see what happens. Sometimes when you go to access and it starts to go back up hit lock at access height again and sometimes it works - sometimes not.

Sorry but other than that I dont think I am able to offer much more - is certainly perplexing.
I appreciate your time and replies. I agree with you on that there gotta be a leak and it clearly has to do with the replaced struts. It’s weird to me that two different sets of struts both new each time have the same issue. I will be taking it back and having the struts replaced with OEM.

As for the access height issue I do believe it’s all related. According to the mechanic all sensors have been calibrated multiply times and it still doesn’t solve the issue.
Anywho back to oem and hope for the best!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven’t gotten around to taking it back yet but here are some pictures of what it does after one night of sitting. I am going to try my own static test and pull the relay. According to the mechanic he thinks the computer can’t find level and it just slowly clicks the strut down till it bottoms out. He’s not sure what’s causing it to read I correctly.
I still think it’s something they did or didn’t do when replacing the struts.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car Vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport SC L320
173 Posts
Rebuild your compressor. Rebuild/Replace whichever valve blocks that haven't been changed new to new. How is the air tank? Any leaks? Any electrical issues/errors?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rebuild your compressor. Rebuild/Replace whichever valve blocks that haven't been changed new to new. How is the air tank? Any leaks? Any electrical issues/errors?
i was considering replacing the compressor and both front and rear valve blocks. No idea on the air tank. No leaks that we know of. No electrical faults or errors.
Only system issue is car will not stay in access mode.

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport SC L320
173 Posts
Valve blocks keep the air in the struts. If your car doesn’t keep air when you disconnect the electrical and you just replaced your struts, then your valve blocks are leaking. I would just rebuild the compressor. Very easy and a lot cheaper. You do have to be patient and make sure you don’t break anything when disconnecting the hoses.

I went the other way and started with struts before the valve blocks and compressor and my suspension problems did not go away. It is cheap and easy to rebuild those 3. Good maintenance really.

If you know you have a good system for air delivery, then you can proceed with whichever strut that gives you problems. Starting with the struts, unless you can tell they are leaking, is the expensive way to go.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts