Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Found a brush bar with light bar (nudge bar?) and wiring loom for a Safari light kit on a '99 RR P38 4.6 LHD in a breaker yard. Safari lights were missing. Large green rocker switch present on instrument cluster bezel, side opposite fuel door button.

Wiring loom was fitted to connect with lights operating on the Low beam with instrument cluster switch on. Read other posts here and it seems to be the norm to connect up with "main" (Low?) beam lights. Why?

Seems to me that you would get the most benefit from them coming on with the Hi beams. Installed Hella lights with the wiring loom from the breaker yard and immediately got an SRS light and AirBag Fault message. IBD-II read No Codes. Took the BeCM going to sleep/resetting I think and SRS light/Airbag fault have not returned for 2 weeks now. Lights work.

What wiring changes would be necessary to operate off the Hi beams as the electrical connectors for the Low and Hi beams are different? If there is a good rationale for low beams, then this question is mute.
Thanks,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi, maybe this is language difference? For me, "main beam" = "high beam" and "low beam" = "dipped beam". Main beam is when the blue light comes on in the dash. Or am i missing the point here?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
The 00' Rhino I had, the brush guard lights were wired into the foglight switch and came on when the high beams were turned on. It was like the sun had risen... never had a car with lights that bright before.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,414 Posts
Hello All,
Found a brush bar with light bar (nudge bar?) and wiring loom for a Safari light kit on a '99 RR P38 4.6 LHD in a breaker yard. Safari lights were missing. Large green rocker switch present on instrument cluster bezel, side opposite fuel door button.

Wiring loom was fitted to connect with lights operating on the Low beam with instrument cluster switch on. Read other posts here and it seems to be the norm to connect up with "main" (Low?) beam lights. Why?

Seems to me that you would get the most benefit from them coming on with the Hi beams. Installed Hella lights with the wiring loom from the breaker yard and immediately got an SRS light and AirBag Fault message. IBD-II read No Codes. Took the BeCM going to sleep/resetting I think and SRS light/Airbag fault have not returned for 2 weeks now. Lights work.

What wiring changes would be necessary to operate off the Hi beams as the electrical connectors for the Low and Hi beams are different? If there is a good rationale for low beams, then this question is mute.
Thanks,
long story short it is US DOT regulation,
any auxiliary lighting cannot be above head light level.
must have separate on and off switch, must burn with low beam circuit on (wired to power separate switch thru low beams on)
any road lighting cannot burn more than two sets of lights. I/E low beam and auxiliary or low beam and high beam.
any more than that and they must be covered with approved covers.
any lighting fitted to a road legal vehicle must bear DOT, SAE or both certifications.
any auxiliary lighting must be wired thru a relay and fuse to protect the main circuitry of the vehicle.

some vehicle manufacturers manage to circumvent some of these regulations and wire to tail lighting or high beam circuit but that is up to them...
I am a Virginia state certified and licensed safety inspector, when a citizen presents a vehicle for its annual state inspection, I judge if wiring is factory or aftermarket and pass or fail based on regulation.
not sure how other states interpret lighting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Mine were likely dealer-installed on the breaker yard rig (reading on this forum, they did not install Safari lights at the factory). The wiring is within a loom and there is a relay, fuse, and separate Safari switch and connect directly to the + battery terminal and ground on the body near the left Hi beam area. They are also wired to the left side Low beam connector at the headlamp. They come On with the Low beams On and the Safari switch On. The fog lights work whether or not the Safari lights are On or Off so long as the ignition switch is On. Guess I'll leave things as they are as I want things within regulations.

Put on Hella 500 Fog Lights ($64.59 on eBay; came as a Kit but I only used the lenses & housings) and Land Rover Safari 3000 Lamp Guards ($52.80 on eBay). Prices include shipping & there was no tax. Lamp Guards simply snapped on the Hella Kit in seconds, with no modifications. IMPORTANT: Slip the bottom of the Lamp Guard under the bottom of the lens housing attachment to the nudge bar first and then press in place. There are cutouts on the sides of the Lamp Guards but I don't see this as a problem.

Top Photo in daytime so you can see the vehicle, brushbar, Safari lights.
Bottom Photo is Low beam On, Safari switch On, and Fog Lights On, with ignition Switch On.
Vancer

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hello Vancer
How are the lights attached to the cross bar? Is there a hole drilled and a long bolt going through the light bracket?
I would like to add some lights to the brush bar I purchased a while ago but am not sure how to mount them, whether to make up a clamp-on bracket or drill a hole.
Thanks in advance for any info.
cheers,
Gordon

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Gordo,
My light mounting bar is separate from and specifically designed to bolt to the brush bar. There are even precut vertical slots in the brush bar covering to allow for the light mounting bar.
It looks like Atlantic British sells attachment hardware that would require drilling holes in the brush bar to directly bolt on mounting hardware to attach Safari lights ($52?). You could look at their product and likely make your own mounts. Your idea of a clamp on bracket is a viable option as the wiring for the lights goes out the backs of their housings. If you need it, I will post a photo.
Good Luck,
Vancer

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the lightbar. It attaches to brushbar on the inside bolt of the upper mounting brackets for the brushbar.
Note: It's best to fully tighten the Safari lights to the lightbar before attaching it to the brushbar. Not much room with the lightbar and grill in place. Doable, but not good for your knuckles or the grill's paint.
Vancer

Attachments

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
powerful uk sells this, my truck does not have a brush guard I'm thinking of getting this and go from there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, 95 Classic, I saw that on eBay. Incredible price $94, and $47 shipping from the UK. Their seller rating is impressive too.
Probably the way to go if you don't have a brushbar with lightbar. What is the fitment? Do you have to drill into the bumper? Brackets?
Vancer

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
it does not say a thing about mount in the description, the picture shows it is on top of bumper and that is the part which I don't really like, having to drill bumper.
on the other hand, I do have a set of original brush guard mounts I could modify to accept lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts