Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched and found nothing. I scored a pair, but I have no idea where to dig up the "control box" or if it is necessary to have them installed in my Rover. Is there a stock switch on the dash, or do we add one?

I have the wires that go to the firewall, but that is about it.

http://images.craigslist.org/5L25F25Ha3K73G23Fcc72b34ae76bdab9114a.jpg

Also, anyone ever paint the C-Pillars on a P38? Wondering how it looks, not photoshopped

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Mine are wired to come on with the main beam. There is no seperate switch.
It picks up a signal from one of the headlights to switch a relay.
The power to the spotlights is direct from the battery via a fuse.

It looks a though you already have the relay and wiring kit.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
I also have the Land Rover Spots fitted, they're on a mounting bracket, attached to the nudge bar.

As with dave3d above, the wiring on mine taps off the Right Hand headlamp, and indeed connects to the main beam, and switches the spots, via relay direct from battery. I think that is definitely the standard Land Rover way, as one of my previous p38's (on the other side of the world) had the same setup - switched via main beam headlamps.

I suppose if you wanted to, you could fit another dash switch to do them separately, and then just run a control wire from switch to relay?

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This sounds doable.. pic is from an ad, I need to locate those small parts in the junkyard

I want a dedicated switch, and the most powerful bulbs that won't melt the housing hehe

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If you use a spare p38 switch for the spotlights be aware they are non latching. You would need to design a small circuit to hold them on.

Also I have fitted 100W bulbs in my lights so they are pulling about 17 amps. They are pretty bright! I have also seen 120W bulbs available.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Switch facings are all interchangeable. For instance you could use a hazard or cruise control switch which are latching and swap a fog light button onto the switch. This way instead of the main beams triggering the relay to turn on the off road lamps you can use any power sorch through the switch to trigger your relay. Going this direction is expecially handy as you can choose a full time power sorce so they can be used without the ignition on. Another option would be to use a switched power source so they turn off with the ignition so there is no fear of leaving them on and draining your battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts