Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.
I purchased a used 2016 RR Sport with 50K miles back in April from a used dealership out of my regular area.
WHen I bought it, it had a tire pressure monitoring error light in addition to a low coolant light.
It also had a undercarriage rattle.

They took it to try to fix the error once, it came back to me and it was still all messed up.
I brought it to a local place for the rattle to get fixed, for them to install a brand new coolant sensor.
They never even gave me insight as to why it was saying low coolant. No visible leaks.

I had my friend fill coolant in car, did the whole coolant system seal with vacuum (he is mechanic).
It was okay for a week or so, but low coolant light still came on. Again, no visible leaks.

Finally, I had time to bring it back to the dealership where I bought it where the proceeded to analyze it for two weeks.

They called me and said it was ready to go, so I drove 2 hours to pick it up.

On my way home, coolant sprayed out of the car and engine seized.
Had it towed all the way back 100 miles.
Two weeks passed.
Told the dealership to drive it around themselves after they "fixed it".

Guess what? Engine seized up.
They say they're going to buy a new engine for the **** thing.
4-6 month wait on it.

I am so over it. I'm so ticked off and disappointed.
I have made 3 payments on my loan, spent $ on towing.
And I have driven it fully for less than a month.

Now I don't want the car. They can keep it.
Anyone else deal with something similar?

I still want a RR, but i'm having PTSD at this point.

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover 4.2 SC V8
195 Posts
I don't know where you are located but I would imagine there are some authorities governing sales of used vehicles to protect consumers? Or your sale conditions may have a clause allowing you cancel the agreement within a period? have you contacted your insurance? I mean worst case you cancel the payments.. are they going to repo it from themselves?

EDIT: This is horrible advice and I have no place making financial suggestions. Just noting my though process if I was in your situation.

·
Registered
918 Posts
What likely happened was the Cross-Over Coolant Pipe that is located atop of the intake but underneath the supercharger bursts completely. It's a known design flaw on an otherwise strongly build engine. That is the first place I'd expect to find a coolant leak that isn't visible because it "cooks-off" when it's a smaller leak. Upon complete failure what happens is exactly what happened to you...

New engine, $40,000... Let that loser Dealership totally replace that engine. They lied to you several times so let them pay for their moral bankruptcy! Also request they pay the monthly note until they get it 100% back to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What likely happened was the Cross-Over Coolant Pipe that is located atop of the intake but underneath the supercharger bursts completely. It's a known design flaw on an otherwise strongly build engine. That is the first place I'd expect to find a coolant leak that isn't visible because it "cooks-off" when it's a smaller leak. Upon complete failure what happens is exactly what happened to you...

New engine, $40,000... Let that loser Dealership totally replace that engine. They lied to you several times so let them pay for their moral bankruptcy! Also request they pay the monthly note until they get it 100% back to you.
My guess is that they will not install a brand new engine but a used or rebuilt one. Make sure you confirm with them.

·
Registered
918 Posts
My guess is that they will not install a brand new engine but a used or rebuilt one. Make sure you confirm with them.
Range Rover doesn't like to either "repair" or install anything re-manufactured... Nor will they for that matter!

Ask me how I know! JLR's business practice is to pull a new crate motor out of inventory from anyone of their various warehouses and then ship and install it at the repairing dealer's location. There will be no repairing of said overheated engine and they will NOT deal with anything "rebuilt" as standard operation procedure by design. JLR won't even contemplate or ponder the idea thereof at Any level. It's the "throw-away" generational ideology and JLR isn't the first auto manufacturer to implement "it" as part of their standard operating procedure.

I did receive an $8,500 Core Credit for the OEM factory engine that spun her # 5 Rod, thus resulting in a scored Crankshaft and corresponding engine cylinder wall however... Said OEM engine was promptly sent back upon a Freighter to Solihul England's OEM Plant for evaluation/tear-down. Of which I was very appreciative. The new OEM engine came from a Warehouse in Tennessee and shipped to Alpharetta, Georgia for the repair(s). Once received, the engine install and QA/QC took 3 full days for performance and looking for any leaks or software problems. After everything checked out she was returned to me better than when I bought her. I had the Master Mechanic take her home for said several days and drive her as his (good guy btw, paid for he and his Shop foreman, and Service Tech dinner and drinks), own. Everything was better than I had hoped with some "extra's performed" as well. This was this man's experience and of course as always, YMMV...

Reactions: Gladiator1972

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all.
I purchased a used 2016 RR Sport with 50K miles back in April from a used dealership out of my regular area.
WHen I bought it, it had a tire pressure monitoring error light in addition to a low coolant light.
It also had a undercarriage rattle.

They took it to try to fix the error once, it came back to me and it was still all messed up.
I brought it to a local place for the rattle to get fixed, for them to install a brand new coolant sensor.
They never even gave me insight as to why it was saying low coolant. No visible leaks.

I had my friend fill coolant in car, did the whole coolant system seal with vacuum (he is mechanic).
It was okay for a week or so, but low coolant light still came on. Again, no visible leaks.

Finally, I had time to bring it back to the dealership where I bought it where the proceeded to analyze it for two weeks.

They called me and said it was ready to go, so I drove 2 hours to pick it up.

On my way home, coolant sprayed out of the car and engine seized.
Had it towed all the way back 100 miles.
Two weeks passed.
Told the dealership to drive it around themselves after they "fixed it".

Guess what? Engine seized up.
They say they're going to buy a new engine for the **** thing.
4-6 month wait on it.

I am so over it. I'm so ticked off and disappointed.
I have made 3 payments on my loan, spent $ on towing.
And I have driven it fully for less than a month.

Now I don't want the car. They can keep it.
Anyone else deal with something similar?

I still want a RR, but i'm having PTSD at this point.
I've always wanted a Range, I'm finally at a point in my life where I can afford one, but all these issues are making me have second thoughts. All my cars have always been very reliable up to now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've always wanted a Range, I'm finally at a point in my life where I can afford one, but all these issues are making me have second thoughts. All my cars have always been very reliable up to now.
I almost have 100k on my 16 TD6. Its had a few issues but i was able to fix all of them myself. Other than that its been good to us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts