RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rusty Brake Discs & Calipers...Easy "Spray" Fix?

Hi All, wondering if there's a "safe" way to attempt to remove a minimal amount of rusting on the brake discs, while the brakes/wheels are still intact (no dismantling of brakes and/or tires), without potentially "damaging" anything or putting my brake performance at risk.

I have a small amount of rusting that's occurred, nothing major and barely noticeable, although now that I have noticed it, I'd like to quickly remove if easily able.
:think: Thinking I could attempt using a spray product, versus the route of soaking or replacing the discs.

Any similar thoughts or personal experiences?

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Re: Rusty Brake Discs & Calipers...Easy "Spray" Fix?

I doubt anything other than brake cleaner should be used, and then it would only be temporary.

The quality of the rotor material is the problem. The OEM units are pretty average, but the higher price units (such as Brembo) appear to be less affected by this. I've had a set supplied by CRN brakes in the UK which hardly ever show surface rust, but they were twice as much as a Genuine Part set for my p38.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts

On the swept area of the disc?

Just drive it and brake a few times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

p38arover said:
On the swept area of the disc?

Just drive it and brake a few times.
Yes, on the swept area. Will definitely drive, brake and pay closer attention to see if that works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Rich998a said:
I doubt anything other than brake cleaner should be used, and then it would only be temporary.

The quality of the rotor material is the problem. The OEM units are pretty average, but the higher price units (such as Brembo) appear to be less affected by this. I've had a set supplied by CRN brakes in the UK which hardly ever show surface rust, but they were twice as much as a Genuine Part set for my p38.
Thanks for the info Rich!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts