RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2008 L322 last October and it's probably going to be my last car as I'm 65. Having said that I hope to be able to drive for another 10 years at least so I need to make sure my Rover is kept as rust free as possible. It's in good condition now and I want to keep it like that so what's the best solution? I live in Ontario so the car has to survive harsh winters and lots of road salt! I know I need to keep it clean of mud and other off road muck. I'm interested in your opinions of those spray on rust prevention treatments, are they any good, worth the money. Also how about those little black boxes you attach to your car, do they work? My wife's car has one but her car is only two years old so too early to tell. Is there any other options?

Thanks for any help.
Norm.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Best of luck to you! I purchased a 2007 in 2013 that had been in New York. I spent several months, off and on, when I had time putting the car on a lift and taking all the skid plates down, cleaning off rust, using a product called rust bullet to neutralize and then go over everything with rustoleum. I'm in SC so we don't see too much inclement weather down here. I do try to open the rear hatch after driving in the rain as water accumulates under the rear window molding. A design flaw as far as I know. I thought of putting some silicone in there but didn't know if that would cause more water to accumulate. I did find this past fall a spot on the rear passenger side quarter panel near the wheel well that you see when you open the RR door and look down. They had to cut out a silver dollar piece of metal and redo the area. I then took off the other wheel well liners and inspected the other areas. Aside from that I've pretty much replaced all the calipers and rotors due to wear-and-tear. Those get pretty corroded. The lower rocker panels had some surface rust on them. The black box thing sounds like the sacrificial anode that boats have. Interesting. Others may have more suggestions as to commercial options.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The worst spot in by far the rear hatch. It'll rust from the inside out. I don't think it's possible for yours NOT to have any rust inside the rear hatch. Get it sprayed and get them to spray as much into the hatch as possible. You'll know they got a lot in there if it's dripping out for a few weeks after they apply it.

Aside from that, rear quarters are the other spot. Get them checked out.

I also live in Ontario. I need to replace my hatch. I had it cleaned up and painted 3 years ago, and then a year after they fixed it up for free.

It's starting to show rust bubbles again.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll end up getting Rust Check to give it a going over before next winter. I've bought myself a pressure washer so once the weather warms up a little bit I'll pull all the wheel well liners off and clean out as much muck as I can also in any other nooks and crannies I can get to. I know about the tailgate, thats been rust prone from back in the '70's and btmfutureshop your right, mine has a small amount rust on the bottom lip of the top tailgate. The only other rust that I've found is surface rust that you would expect to see on a 10 year old car. I'm not so much bothered by cosmetics, its a daily driver car and I will be going off-roading in it. I'm more concerned with rust that affects the structural soundness of the car, having said that I do want to try and keep it looking good if I can.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
ours seems quite good except for the passenger rear wheel arch and inside near the bottom of the curved part of the wheel well. have seen newer s charged worse than ours-both rear doglegs and spots on the tailgate. A great idea about removing the liners. Perhaps consider getting those areas sprayed before replacing the liners. Ours came with the little black box connected-not foolproof obviously but maybe it does a bit. There are different types. I believe ours has no sacrificial anode/cathode but creates an electrical current of some kind or reduces electrolysis? The van came from Michigan and rocker panels are nearly gone. The door bottoms that were well oil sprayed are still good but the ones that were missed are terrible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts