RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i posted last week, still having issues with the rig.
it seams to be low on power and only running on few cylinders at idle. checked all the plugs and leads no joy, also i get a noticable clunk when engaging low range and a tapping under accelleration, although not such tapping when revving under the bonnet in park or neutral.
Changed the fuel filter no joy.
faultmate id showing no codes from the tranny or engine.
Did notice a puff of white smoke between te heat shield and manifold stripped it down could not find the crack and smoke disappeared, then reappeared when i put the heat sheild back on.
Also i was a mcds about 2 weeks ago and it stalled low on lpg, out of routine i put it in park passed all the gears to restart, (i was rollng forward) noticed a loud tapping/clicking sound whilst this happened does anybody thing i have done something to the gearbox.
Fault mate sounds engine ingition timming advance at 21.5-22 seams to remember this should be higher am i right.
O2 sensors are showing around 5 at idle and dropping to .5 approx under accelleration in closed loop.
can anybody help me, i am getting desparate, i filed up the tranny fuild yesterday engine was hot long shot i know, and some got on the manifold and i saw flames for about a second panicked abit, but afterwards had a horrible thought why didn't i just let it burn!!.

has anybody had any of these problems and thankyou for reading the post, these negative throughts don't play well with my karma and iam sure the car knows it, as the more i want to burn it the more it goes wrong.

Yours in solitude
Onetime

·
Registered
820 Posts
See, you should be nice to it.

You have the MSV so why haven't you found the fault. You have the tools to do so.

Get the live data data & see what your plugs are doing, then check out the upstream sensors & the maf.

You have help pages that somewhere in there it tell's you what the readings should be.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had a bad maf, the computer didnt log it for a while if I reset it. ran likr crap unless it was warmed up, even then I only had about 1/4 throttle before it bogged

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thnaks guys will try the help pages. and post a reply, i have got to be honest this is the first time since i got the MSV that i have been stumped.if any body has any other thoughts please enlighten me.
cheers
onetime

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All, an update from msv live data: all done at idle.
first set of figures are the msv help pages values, second set are what i am getting
help pages Mine

AFMFR +0.625 to -0.625 1.28

Current Air Middle 20s 17 (this does go up during revving but droped to 14.)
Flow Rate

Air flow sensor voltage 1.29v

Bank1 odd O2 cycled between 0.2-4.92 and short term was 23.7-28.7

Bank 2 even O2 stuck at 5.05 and short term was 38.7

Both these figures warm engine over 2-3 mins period.

everything with tolances set in the help pages, expect can not see the IGNTION TIMING ADVANCE DEG, sure mine was 40 before.

do people think its the Maf fooked, cleaned it a few times. how can check it without buying a new one and replacing.
sorry about the layout posting list seams hard.
anybody got any thoughts.
cheers
Onetime

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All, guy came out today to look at truck, put it on T4, thinks it only down one bank at idle, as the o2 sensor is not moving at idle and is stuck at 5v it does switch when the car is revved so suggests its not a faulty sensor, no other fault codes show on T4 as on my MSV. No MAF or Ht lead problems as he checked them. has anybody got any ideas, he thought it could be a value problem and suggested a pressure test, is this my only route? or does anybody have any experince of 1 bank of cylinders playing up like this.
cheers
onetime

·
Registered
640 Posts
As a check why not swap the o2 sensors from left to right and see if fault has moved from Bank 1 to Bank 2 or visa versa. Might confirm Sensors are O.K. if fault has moved could be a faulty Sensor.
Just a thought.

Cheers

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Hi, you dont mention year and mileage
But anyway I would have concerns with "loud clicking/tapping noise" did this problem come on quickly or over time.
If over time did you notice a lack of power, ie not as perky as it used to and not able to cruise along easily at give or take
100kmp/60mph if not then the plot thickens and could be a number of issues.
High mileage and if a recent head job wasnt done then the dreaded carbon on the valves is likely to a point where total
compression is lost through leakage but to determine this a compression test needs to be carried out.
So go forth do a compression test....

By the way the carbon on valves is a common issue even with carbon breaker exhaust valves as happened on mine.
Cause: Incorrect setup of clearance on hydraulic lifters by mmmm agents (should I be surprised, not in LR manual) and
inspection when I stripped off heads confirmed this problem, excessive carbon is caused by incomplete combustion
but dont let this scare you yet until you carry out a compression test

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Guys, didnot think to swap o2 sensors would a sensor cause trouble only at idle not when revving T4 AND MSV both suggest that it is only at idle.
The problem happen straight away, noticed some noise when switching off the ingition for about a week, but drove fine no loss of power, then one evening took it out (had low power)and let it idle at the garage about a mile away because didn't want to switch it off to get some sweets for the kids and came back she said she felt sick becsue it was running that rough!!.
The car is 1997 and done 130k had a head gasket done at 94k, no real engine problems just the usually eas etc, but i have been able to most things myself, brought MSV after being stung at the stealers a couple of times.

Carbon build up sounds expensive, could there be any other cause, the guy tonight mentioned about a value as in the chamber with the 4.6 on it there is a sight puffing noise this caused him some concern.

any advice would be great right about now.
cheers
Onetime

·
Registered
640 Posts
Take it the Rattle isn't a Cat broken up inside by any chance.

Cheers

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Guy out today didn't seam to think it was that simple, i wish it was, the problems are coming from the right hand bank as i look at the engine from the front. no fualt codes on msv or t4, the idle is the problem, seams to be alright power wise as at the weekend ran it and it pulled around 70mph, but idle was still rough.
cheers
Onetime

·
Registered
865 Posts
mmm interesting.... coils, would be ideal to loan a set to compare, I note you mention HT leads but have they been tested, meter on 20K ohm should be no more than 8K ohms, can go up to 10 but not ideal

Other wise hows the earth cables look, test alternator and cables with a meter.
My pay to have amp output checked by a sparky.

Then theres the injectors to consider, or dirt in fuel system.
Vacuum pipes, idle control valve.
Fuel regulator vac pipe to intake or regulator faulty.
Incorrect spark plugs fitted, if gems they run best on champions RN11YCC with OE ht leads (I've researched deep into
the HT leads and plugs replacements) if bosch system them coils are a known problem

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Hi Rick - i had a similar issue with a bad idle and ticking noise.

Turned out to be the head gasket on the one side :doh:

Not sure what you have tried, but I would change all the sparkplugs and difinitely replace that oxygen sensor that you say is sticking.

Good Luck

PS - It was so hard not to mention your K&N! :shhh:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Kam, you were right about the head gasket, finally bit the bullet and took it into a indy, compression tested it and low on one side cannot, they think its is the head gasket, going to cost approx £1000, depending on what they are going have to do.
Ive now got so much money in this car, i am keeping it for 25 years, and i can rot around me. It also needs an Mot, another massive bill, at least 2 tyres, middle box etc.
anyway got to go and earn the money to pay for it.
cheers
Onetime

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
A grand!!! :shock:

Blimey, this is one of those moments where I am not so happy at having 'got it right' - sorry.

My good local garage charge £300 labour for a full headgasket job - pressure testing, skImming, gaskets and bolts say another £150.

Even if you flatbedded it down here that's half price - fancy a trip to Birmingham :think:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Make sure head are still usuable and to have them strip and check valves, valve guides and seals.
The P38 is notorious for carboned up valves, bet is if one side is bad then so is the other, 1000 quid is alot for one side

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi All, it about £700 for one side, plus £300 for the other, if its needed, worst case it about a grand, i am hoping it the valves, they think heads gasket but they cannot confirm until the heads are off. will let you know, thanks Kam for the offer but reallt busy at mo and they got it now just want it back running again.
cheers
onetime

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi all, just an update, was the head gasket, got it back running fine just £650 hole in wallet, but it great to be back in the rangie, sick off driving around in my wife "scenic" it very far from scenic if you ask me. Getting ready for a road trip down south, for holidays and taking the P38, a bit nervious after all the issues but with these car faith is everything, and of course breakdown cover!! anyways thanks for the advice, if it goes again i think i will take a week off work and tackle the job myself out of ten anybody with experience how hard is it?
cheers
Onetime

1 - 19 of 19 Posts