RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Should I install running boards?

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2012 RRSC L322. I have smaller kids and a mother-in-law that visits often (a story in itself :)). Should I invest in electric running boards or not? Looking for peoples thoughts, opinions and experience.

If you have them, what are your suggestions on where to buy and what kind.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I've always had side steps on my SUVs and the LR deployable ones are even better. My very short mother in law is visiting and she loved them. They made it very easy for her to get in/out of the RR without having to contort herself in any way. She has a bad leg at the moment and it wasn't an issue. The kids will also make good use of them. If you are into off-roading you'll have to check clearance.

Mine were a port installed option, but many on the forum have bought OEM kits from other sources and installed themselves. Search for threads, some with instructions.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Galhir, all you need to do is search or browse any of the sections for opinions on this. The only hold back for some folks is the cost of the deployable steps. The pros and cons has been pretty well beat to death every few months.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,945 Posts
I just put a set on my 05 Range they are the factory fixed versions took about 1 hour to fit them and they are great, I didnt want them on the truck but ma and pa are now riding in the Range so the steps make it easier for all .

also installed the 4 mud flaps the newer front mud flap versions dont require major drilling into the bodywork like the older style does.

lots of choices on boards
BUT I think the factory fixed boards are the best as the surface is made of hard rubber not the hard plastic like the China versions.

The elex boards are quite expensive and might also require a harness purchase, plus a trip to the dealer to have BCM programmed

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
9 Posts
We have the deployable side steps on our 2007 RR & make life much easier for all of us. They are a very slim fit giving you good ground clearance but when deployed sit much lower than your running boards.
I had a scare when a garage told me I had to replace them both (come in pairs they said) last week when the driver side wouldn't retract properly but I sprayed battery terminal grease into the electric connector that leads to the step motor & now works perfectly!
So yes, I will most definitely have these on my next RR!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts