RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought used running boards for my 06 HSE. My first question is will these fit my 06 even though they came off an 05? My second question is how the heck do I install them?? I can't find installation instructions anywhere. Is this a project that an amateur like myself can handle or is it recommended to call in a professional?

·
Registered
140 Posts
not sure if there is any difference on the fittings from 05 to 06, but an amateur can definitely do the job in a couple of hours. Post a picture of what you have because I think there were a couple of types.

the ones I have with mud guards included required some minor panel drilling, but the rest was just bolting on to the mounts.

The instructions are on RAVE in the accessories sections.

have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
One of my Side Steps (Mud-guard type) is damaged and I am looking for a new set.

Any recommendations or ideas about what's out there is the accessories market?

·
Registered
140 Posts
ctberry said:
Thanks for the input. Here's a couple of pics of the boards I bought. http://img24.imageshack.us/g/dscn0979e.jpg/ I'm thinking there may be some drilling involved...
yep, they are the same as mine. You will need to remove and drill the small panel infront on the front doors (below the side vents) and install a bracket behind them to ensure the front mudflap is secure. Did you get the brackets with the boards?

for the rest you will need to bolt them on to existing mounting points, some of which are quite hard to reach, e.g behind the wheel arch covers etc. I did mine myself in a couple of hours with standard tools and had not worked on a car before (only bikes), so it is a basic but rather annoying job. One problem I faced was that I discovered the previous owner had grounded it on a rock or such, and one of the underside mounting positions was not straight. I had to bend the Boards strut slightly to make them sit straight as that was the easiest option. but you would never notice.

gazellio: I have the same issue, my wife managed to crunch the passenger side board against a post, but I believe they only come complete and as a pair. I dont think you can just buy the trim etc. I was considering the bar instead of the board, but it doesnt look too safe for use an step which I need.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ezah_Dubai said:
ctberry said:
Thanks for the input. Here's a couple of pics of the boards I bought. http://img24.imageshack.us/g/dscn0979e.jpg/ I'm thinking there may be some drilling involved...
yep, they are the same as mine. You will need to remove and drill the small panel infront on the front doors (below the side vents) and install a bracket behind them to ensure the front mudflap is secure. Did you get the brackets with the boards?

for the rest you will need to bolt them on to existing mounting points, some of which are quite hard to reach, e.g behind the wheel arch covers etc. I did mine myself in a couple of hours with standard tools and had not worked on a car before (only bikes), so it is a basic but rather annoying job. One problem I faced was that I discovered the previous owner had grounded it on a rock or such, and one of the underside mounting positions was not straight. I had to bend the Boards strut slightly to make them sit straight as that was the easiest option. but you would never notice.

gazellio: I have the same issue, my wife managed to crunch the passenger side board against a post, but I believe they only come complete and as a pair. I dont think you can just buy the trim etc. I was considering the bar instead of the board, but it doesnt look too safe for use an step which I need.
Having had Side Bars before I can confirm they do not work as a step!!!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
ctberry said:
These are the Steps I have at the moment. The problem is the Silver strip on the outside is easily damaged and is very flimsy and cannot be re-painted! Also the don't really look that good and a lot of dirt gets trapped on them.

G

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope! I received no mounting brackets for the mud flap, at least not that I know of. That really sucks to think that there's a bracket that I was supposed to get with the boards/flaps. You wouldn't know what that bracket is supposed to look like would you? I wonder if I can get that from a Range Rover parts catalog?

Also, so you have to drill on the outside panel??? What the heck does the panel of the Range these came off of look like? I'm assuming there are holes where they flaps used to be?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
ctberry said:
Nope! I received no mounting brackets for the mud flap, at least not that I know of. That really sucks to think that there's a bracket that I was supposed to get with the boards/flaps. You wouldn't know what that bracket is supposed to look like would you? I wonder if I can get that from a Range Rover parts catalog?

Also, so you have to drill on the outside panel??? What the heck does the panel of the Range these came off of look like? I'm assuming there are holes where they flaps used to be?
I thinks its the inside edge of the panel that the flap screws into!

·
Registered
140 Posts
the install pamphlet shows the bracket and also gives a pattern for the drilling. he previous owner perhaps put some rubber plugs in the holes or got new panels.

You might well be able to fit the front mudguards without it if you are creative.. check the instructions and see. Or go back to the buyer and ask him for the brackets which are still fitted under his side panel I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts