RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, bear with me - uk humour et al may have affected my view here but after enjoying a fantastic week in Cumbria up the A1 and A66 despite variable weather managed to relax.............. so why is it some dozy git in a Vectra decides it's ok to hold up traffic doing 60 mph in lane 3 just because lanes 1 & 2 are busy --- Ok annoying but the 70mph limit in the UK is the maximum legal limit and you do the max your'e comfortable with within traffic and weather conditions BUT the silly arse was towing a trailer - a BIG BIG NO NO in the UK and explains why the 60mph again the max in the UK for a trailer on a motorway/dual carriageway, just when you need a Police car to be around sudden absence! Then an accident (OK 'incident' as Radio 2 calls them) on the northbound carriageway slows down our southbound carriageway as the dozy lot in front gawp ------- Jeez!!!!!!!!!!!! Then an Audi A4 Avant (estate/tourer) POLICE catches up with us all and my Gawd,,,, 'guilty as charged my honour' from the dozy lot in front who had forgotten they have a rear view mirror, my Sat nav says 72mph so I had crept up a little but nothing wild but mind God lane changing and braking from lane 3 to 2 to 1 was laughable -- I bet the Officers were having a sweepstake whether the 3 series Beemer or the Audi A3 could slow down the quickest! OK so we're now on the last 5 miles home on back roads -- local skip company driver coming towards me in his loaded skip wagon - wondered if he knew he was over the white line even though I was 'wearing' headlights as it was a bit rainy BUT NO Lo and behold a mobile clasped to his ear!!!! Pees me off use of phones non hands free -- even with a kit I'm not that comfortable and I've had them since 1994,,,,, OK calm down calm down -- 2 miles from home and dozy woman pulls out of junction with kiddies clearly in sight in the back of her car and Lo and behold she's on her **** phone.

2 morales from this -- a) you're going to get called dozy if you drive that that 'cos you are! and b) driving is a privilege not a god given right!!!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
Sounds like normal driving in Australia.

At least we can legally "undertake" as you in Britain call it - and the speed limit on a motorway with or without trailer is 110km/h except for semis which are speed limited to 100km/h.

Question - are the UK and the USA the only places left in the world that still use MPH? (And is the USA the only place left that still hasn't gone metric for everything else?)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Undertaling is allowed in the UK if you're keeping up with traffic in your lane - the point was that lanes 1&2 were busy so no gain could have been made - MPH does rule it's what God created with the help of the English! (only slightly tongue in cheek - have a great weekend!!!!!) `)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Undertaking is completely legal here regardless of lane speed. And non-handsfree mobile phones was finally banned earlier this year.

Having driven in quite a few countries in the world, you guys in the UK probably don't appreciate how good your drivers are (in general). On the way to the hospital this morning I had a bus undertake me in a merging lane then pull out forcing me into lane 2. I was doing 75 in an 80k zone and was going slow because the rain was hideous. Said bus then proceeded to tailgate a car until I lost sight of it.

In the UK you flash your lights at people to tell them to pull over or to let them into your lane; over here you flash your lights at people to insult their mother.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What is worse than all the cretans on cell-phones are the complete #&$* who drive on the open road (100kph limit) at 80-85k. They hold everyone up and then accelerate up to 100k on passing lanes - only to drop back down to their previous, leisurely pace when the passing lanes end. I am not sure if they are afraid of on-coming traffic or are just playing with other motorists but it is just a 'little annoying'. Not to mention illegal!!

I will say that this behaviour is not limited to any one type of vehicle - pensioners, tourists, etc - or car, van, ute - but it really gets on my wick.

And 'Long live MPH' - saying 160kph just doesn't have the same ring to it as 100mph.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
Rowant said:
What is worse than all the cretans on cell-phones are the complete #&$* who drive on the open road (100kph limit) at 80-85k.
I think it applies to all nationalities, not just those from Crete!

:lol:

·
Registered
129 Posts
We definitely get some crazy drivers down here too. Earlier this year driving out west on a camping trip, I went to overtake a truck up a hill, and there wasn't a long stretch of road to overtake, so I was speeding a little bit. Then two lunatic P-Platers with music blaring come running right up to my bumper, flashing their headlights and leaning on the horns. I ignored them, overtook the truck, and then the road became a single lane again. To my disgust, the idiots decided to overtake on the wrong side of the road (double lined), but instead of even just pulling in front of me, they slowed down alongside and started yelling at me out the window. Again, I ignored them, and they eventually gave up and sped off into the distance.
About 5 mins later, I saw them pulled over on the side of the road by undercover police officers. Ahh karma..(car-ma? :p )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts