RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to test out my Rear Seat Entertainment unit this evening in preparation for an upcoming long drive to Mammoth. I figured I may as well learn my RSE controls so that I could instruct the back seat passengers how to use the system once they're buckled in and we're on our way.

Surprise, surprise. I can get DVD video, but no DVD audio through the headsets. I can change to get FM, SAT, whatever and hear it fine through the headsets, but no DVD Audio. Mind you, if I'm parked, I can get DVD Audio through the sound system no problem.

Also, it seems as if the system is rather picky with respect to which DVDs it will play. It will play COPIED DVD's all day long, but it refuses to play ORIGINAL DVDs, at least the few that I've tried. I've read through the owners manual for RSE and tried all suggestions with no luck. The only thing I haven't tried was driving down the street trying to watch my RSE and listen to the headphones at the same time. I just didn't think that would be very safe.

This is a great time to find out that option I laid out a few extra duckets is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

This is a USDM 2008 RRS with Factory installed RSE.

I did a search, and didn't see any relevant posts. If necessary, please point me to a previous post if you know of some tricks to try. Any help is appreciated!

Matt

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
mbodo said:
I did a search, and didn't see any relevant posts. If necessary, please point me to a previous post if you know of some tricks to try. Any help is appreciated!
Ok I did find the TB LS415-003, however this still doesn't seem to cover it.

After some tinkering, here's what I've discovered:

DVDs encoded in DTS Audio will play through the cabin speakers, but NOT the headphones. DVDs encoded with Dolby Digital 5.1 will play through BOTH the cabin speakers and the headphones.

I'm still not sure why my purchased copy of The Simpsons will not play at all.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Yes, indeed Simpsons - The Movie never played on my RSE either, and quite a few Disney movies give me trouble as well (Ratatouille quite recently, that really p*ssed off my daughter back there as it's one of her absolute favorites at home.) Wow, I thought they would have fixed that by now with a software upload or something, that it might just be a problem on early RSE modules such as mine. Guess not. Over time I also noticed that all discs really need to be Spic 'n Span and completely scratch free to play without hiccups on this changer, try cleaning them extra well from dust and fingerprints, hopefully some of them may start playing. In general, most of my DVDs seem to play fine, though.

I also noticed the problem playing back DTS encoded discs over the rear headphones not that long ago, all I (they I should say, as I never sit back there so it took me a long time to figure it out) get is static. The audio track can be switched via remote by the rear passengers though (if the disc offers one as an alternative to DTS, like DD or good old 2-channel stereo... :D ) I have some great DTS-only music CDs that sound wonderful over the car speakers but will never play over the rear headphones... No big deal, as those discs are meant to be played through the car speakers. Whether it' movie DD5.1/DTS soundtracks or multichannel audio discs, the RSE is one music source where all those speakers in the RRS, with Logic7 turned on, really shine. Otherwise it's really not that great of a sound system, IMHO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
umbertob said:
Whether it' movie DD5.1/DTS soundtracks or multichannel audio discs, the RSE is one music source where all those speakers in the RRS, with Logic7 turned on, really shine. Otherwise it's really not that great of a sound system, IMHO.
Kill Bill, Vol. 1 (DTS) is an outstanding movie to watch whilst in "Park" on the ferry between Balboa Peninsula and Balboa Island, for what its worth. Indeed, the best demonstration of the sound system ever. I only ever get to watch it 5 minutes at a time, but I take that ferry quite often to avoid traffic, especially during the summer :)

Cheers and happy motoring!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts