RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Sat morning I was faced with unplowed 24-30" of snow when I tried to get my GF to hospital (her staff failed to show so she provided over 300 meals Saturday !). I have 19's with Cooper Zeon LTZ A/Ts.

The snow setting struggled as I would drop down through dry snow and hit icy blacktop. Tires would spin.

Eventually I discovered the SAND setting locks center diff and then I messed with DSC and once rolling, with momentum I was able to push snow out of the way. At one point , snow built up so high under front skidplate (off road suspension height) that front tires lifted and I had to dig a bit. Once I hit highway, the only vehicles out were emergency services and me and I made a couple of 'first passes' on some off ramps/exists.

Clearly, legit snow tires would have managed more bite on icy blacktop but I have A/T's as they are a better winter/utility tire for me.
However, physically getting off drive and making 90* turn onto road in deep snow was a real challenge as I could not keep momentum up.
If I could pack snow under the A/Ts I got a bit of float and as such the SAND setting makes more sense.

What is your experience with Terrain Response ? Did you experiment with DSC on/off ?

David

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
81 Posts
IIRC, the SAND setting has more instant throttle response designed to keep the tires moving and prevent sinking in deep sand. The SNOW setting dulls throttle response to prevent breaking traction on ice. However when you hit deep snow and ice, I think all bets are off on the default terrain settings.

My son put my Rover in a 4' ditch trying to learn to drive on snow a few weeks back. We ended up stopped with the driver's side down in the ditch and passenger side up near the road. I raised the suspension to off-road height and disabled DSC and left terrain settings off. When driving out the back end slid down into the ditch, but the tires kept moving and it pulled itself out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, sorry, I realize the snow settings dulls throttle. I had a 2002 4Runner which was one of first years with Electronic DSC etc. I once got 100% stuck on my drive where it just moved power around each wheel at a time none of which had traction. In my 1999 I would have simply put it in old school 4WD with center diff ocked and locked rear diff manually and driven off...

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
731 Posts
The snow setting is more for a thin coating of packed snow and ice - the setting is more geared at maintaining traction (reducing wheel spin etc) than charging through snow drifts. While clearly different deep snow and mud are in many ways similar so I would try Mud Ruts first - low range and eas up high. If that is not suitable then the answer is Rock Crawl (as it is for everything difficult) as it best approximates an old 4wd with everything locked. So CDL is locked and the cross linking of suspension is activated.

Garry

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
Here in Roanoke I had similar experience. However only had 13" of snow and I had Johnson rods on which gave me plenty of clearance and Nitto TGs. I messed around most of the day in snow mode then had trouble getting up a steep road and thought mud ruts would be better for continuous throttle. I got up the street but got stuck on the other side of the hill with it in low range and mud mode. Messed around sliding side to side not getting anywhere then set it back to snow mode and rolled out without a problem. I find trial and error tend to work best as conditions may not truly represent what terrain response was designed for.
On a side note my son in law had no trouble on the same street in his 03 4runner with a 2" lift and General Grabbers. No choices with what mode to put the 4runner in... Just drive and let the system figure it out. I agree the ATs are best in this deep snow. Ice will keep me at home.

'06 RRS LUX

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all,

There are days when I miss my 99 4Runner. Lifted 2 1/2 in front and around 3 in the back on 32 inch (Metric equivalent) Dueller REVOs. I worked part time at a ski resort and I took that truck places it was not supposed to go and never got stuck.

Old school 4WD and good ground clearance trump all,

David

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Deep snow (offroad) I use Mud/Ruts and DSC off. Sand is pretty close too - probably placebo effect - but I think Mud/Ruts does better as it simulates more with the conditions of mud and ruts and being pushed around, high centering, etc. If you don't turn DSC off, you'll slow to a crawl and stop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts