RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 HST, and the other night, my wife was in tears over having damaged the Spoiler on my ride. She stopped to pick up mail at our "gang" mailbox, then pulled away to drive into our garage. She heard alarms going off, and saw a big "read" graphic on the dash, but didn't see any verbiage, or anything else wrong. She cleared the message and continued to pull into the garage... and then scrunch!

The Spoiler made contact with the stucco header on our garage, and gouged up the edge pretty bad. The LED light bar also popped free of its tangs, but the screws held fast. I was able to loosen the torx fasteners, and reseat the light bar.

She swears she didn't hit the hatch button while at the mailbox or driving into the garage. I suspect she hit the switch just under the left side of the steering wheel, but she didn't do it intentionally.

While trying to duplicate the issue, I found out that while driving (in gear), the button will open the hatch. This seems rather dumb. I would expect it to be disabled while out of PARK.

Any thoughts on this one? Have I missed some setting somewhere?

·
Registered
2 Posts
did she wave her foot near the rear bumper as this opens the tailgate, not sure if it is still active when the car is running

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think it is a bit crazy as sometimes my pup will be in the back and I’ve had my knee hit that button and open my hatch (luckily no dog that time).

I believe it disables at a certain speed but I haven’t checked in which

personally I wish it was disabled when in Drive.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think it is a bit crazy as sometimes my pup will be in the back and I’ve had my knee hit that button and open my hatch (luckily no dog that time).

I believe it disables at a certain speed but I haven’t checked in which

personally I wish it was disabled when in Drive.
From the online owner's manual, the button shouldn't be active when the car is at or above 3 mph:
The tailgate can also be opened or closed using the following methods.

NOTES
The tailgate does not open if the vehicle is traveling at, or above, approximately 3 mph (5 km/h).

·
Registered
717 Posts
My 2014 will NOT operate the boot lid when the vehicle is traveling faster than 2-3 mph. The button on the dash goes 'dead' and the boot will actually freeze if it was in-motion prior to the vehicle moving.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I went out on a test drive for something else and remembered this thread. Pulling up my long driveway rolling from 1-5mph the tailgate 100% would NOT open with me positively pressing the tailgate lift button multiple times... about 7 or 8 times... However, after a complete stop with the Rover in Drive... the Gate Will Lift when the button is pressed! Your wife feels horrible about this happening and she is genuinely sorry it apparently seems. But she hit the button when either she got out, or got in inadvertently with her knee more than likely and then drove into your parking garage. It was an honest mistake I believe. Call me crazy but I actually like the ability of the tailgate lifting when completely stopped and in Drive mode personally for personal reasons, functions, and certain situations. Just make sure the wifey knows it can/will happen if that latch button is pressed and will remain open after letting off the brake and pressing the gas. Let her know that you know she it truly sorry AwfAxis and make her feel better about it bro. She certainly didn't mean to wreck her hubby's nice tailgate!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I thought it was worse in my 2015. The button was larger and easier to hit. I have not done it in the past year with my 2019.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This isn't quite the same scenario, but I was parked in a self car wash bay with my 2018 SVR, spraying the vehicle with water and the hatch just opened all by itself. In the past there have been other times I was spraying it and the headlights and taillights flashed as if I had hit the unlock button of the fob. It's weird and some electrical signal or sensor is being triggered. Also during the first few months of owning it one time the hatch opened while inside my garage and was pressed against my garage door. Luckily there were no scratches. At the time I assumed something got pressed against the key in my pocket while I was at home as it has never happened again. My point is, I do think there is a possibility it opened by itself as your wife said. These are wonderful cars but flakey things can happen. After a year and half of software updates the lower screen of my Touch Pro Duo still goes black once in a while, or the rear backup sensors decide to switch themselves off and stop working. I almost reversed into a parking garage pillar because there were no warning beeps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went out on a test drive for something else and remembered this thread. Pulling up my long driveway rolling from 1-5mph the tailgate 100% would NOT open with me positively pressing the tailgate lift button multiple times... about 7 or 8 times... However, after a complete stop with the Rover in Drive... the Gate Will Lift when the button is pressed! Your wife feels horrible about this happening and she is genuinely sorry it apparently seems. But she hit the button when either she got out, or got in inadvertently with her knee more than likely and then drove into your parking garage. It was an honest mistake I believe. Call me crazy but I actually like the ability of the tailgate lifting when completely stopped and in Drive mode personally for personal reasons, functions, and certain situations. Just make sure the wifey knows it can/will happen if that latch button is pressed and will remain open after letting off the brake and pressing the gas. Let her know that you know she it truly sorry AwfAxis and make her feel better about it bro. She certainly didn't mean to wreck her hubby's nice tailgate!
It's also possible that something triggered the "gesture tailgate" sensor (small animal maybe?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts