1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to this forum but have looked at it for a while.. :thumb:

I have a few questions:

1. Anyone made LED taillights for the 06-09 RRS HSE/SC? If so what did you use and could you post pics?
I want to have the amber turn lens and red brake lens removed from my RRS S/C tails or just buy some new '09 ones but like the LED look. Any ideas?
Anyone done LED bulb replacements?

2. Has anyone seen the "angel eye" CCFL halo's on a RRS? What are your thoughts on these? Overdoing it? Tacky? Do the 2010 RRS's have halo's and LED strips like the Audi's?
Anyone done the halo and LED strip mod yet? I want to customize it but dont want it to look tacky.......

3. Any new wheel ideas? I like the Stormer 22s with the black background from CalChrome & the LRX style 22" wheels. Any luck with Cal Chrome Maranello's?
Forgiatos are nice but i would rather buy an old classic rover than spend 10K on rims.

I have looked at many pictures of forum members rides here and they all look very classy!

nvr_home
08 LR2 HSE rimini / alpaca / <-- RIP - Lease returned -cya
07 RRS S/C zermatt / ebony / loaded
05 LR3 HSE7 java / ebony / Zeon LTZ's

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check the RRS Helpful links thread that is bookmarked at the top of the main forum page. Will address most things you are talking about.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh BTW , Calchrome .. do you know much about them? I just called and they have the best price I have seen on the 22" stormer machined/black insert wheels. I will probably go there if I can get someone to vouch for the quality.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TripleE said:
Welcome, pics mandatory - but of the Disco w/LTZs... :wink:
Thanks TripleE! I will post pics soon - best off road tires i have owned period! Paid around $900 for them but they give it a mean raised stance and ride quiet. Recommended to me by Dr.Zjoint on another forum almost two years ago. Don't know why LR didnt go with these tires stock, I have had zero rub issues - factory Goodyears were downright scary. I have my summer 22s on it currently but will dig up some winter pics to post.

rcmorgan540 said:
Oh BTW , Calchrome .. do you know much about them? I just called and they have the best price I have seen on the 22" stormer machined/black insert wheels. I will probably go there if I can get someone to vouch for the quality.
Just stumbled upon CalChrome on the www - would like to know about the quality also. Curious what they quoted you?? Maybe we can do a group buy with some other members? :mrgreen:

I have searched and looked at other posts here but didnt find anything on the LED RRS tails - Anyone know of an attempt at these?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 06 Black on Black RRS S/C and I am getting my Angel Eyes Halo Kit tomorrow. I am going to attempt to do it myself and also color match the housing. I am not a "do it yourself" type of guy but I have spoken to many people over the last few weeks and they have all said its really not that difficult if I follow the right steps, so they are going to walk me through it. I will take pictures when it's all done and post them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have done the angel eyes on my RRS and they look sweet, i have also swap out anything with a bulb on it to LED's..i did the angel eyes myself, i had to drill 2 very small holes on it to hide the wires, well i have to angel eyes light on each side=4 total.....will post some pics tomorrow ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recieved the Halo Kit today and I have to say that its a lot more difficult to install than I thought or how they explained it would be. I am very disapointed in the way they post videos on how to install the halo kit on you tube. I bought my kit from AAC and they have a quick video on how to do the install and they made it look pretty easy. What they failed to mention is you have to drill small holes in the housing just like dml said so that you can hide the wires. I am no electrician either and i called AAC for some technical support and they could not tell me how to wire the inverters to the factory unit!! I did however get both light housings opened and took them out no problem. They are sanded and ready for prime, paint and clear! So tomorrow I will take a deep breath and try once more to figure out how to wire the halo kit. If any one here can walk me through it it would be greatly appreciated. I did notice that dml's halo kit has an led look to it so i am not sure if its the same kit but either way yours can't be that different and your input can't hurt.
thanks,
D2nice

·
Registered
489 Posts
D2
That Halo kit is unfortunately not very good. The wires are too short. I installed a set for a member here and i had to extend the wires so that i didnt have to drill. I would test them first using a drill or dremel battery to make sure they work. I would personally try to extend the wires however do ONLY as much as needed an no more because if you add too much wire they will not light properly. Do that at your own risk however since i dont have any measurements. Ive found that i had to wire the the inverters to the opposite colors in the headlight housing meaning red to black and black to red. I used t taps instead of cutting and splicing the parking lights. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would recommend waiting a few months, it's possible the headlights and/or taillights from this years rrs will be compatible with the older models.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Headlights will unfortunately not fit as the bumper and fenders are different as is the size of the headlights which is too bad since they have the halos already. Guess its a growing trend to have LED lighting. Tail lights will fit but they are now LED's so they will throw a fast blinker error on the dash.

·
Registered
144 Posts
guys..mines ,look awesome.....Yes the wires are way to short....make sure you tap those wires into your parks lights and not your turn signal....oops speaking from experience, you must drill 2 very small holes.....on the lower head lamp the tiny hole goes to the bottom dead center of the ring and the top light you drill to the top dead center of the RING guys...before you do any drilling..line up the halo ring first...where ever the wires drop on the ring drill in that spot, but try and do it in the middle area....Before you stick your lenses back on, put the cover back on and make sure the wires are not vise-able.....put your halo rings on and center them before you stick them in with clear silicone or what ever adhesive you decide to used....i use clear and crazy glue cause you don't want this thing coming off when you put the lens back on...it happen to me....here is some pics guys....now the halo rings i used was the very first LED's one out, i did my RRS since early this year , don't be afraid to cut the wires off and solder new ones in...that's the fix for short wires...LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
TO: dmljohnson Question for you on your LED Halos.... the size is 110mm right? Is that the same for all 4 lights both Xenon and high beam lights? total of 4, 110mm halos?

thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
UPDATE: I ordered the 22" Stomer Style with black inserts from CalChrome. I got 4 wheels, black center caps , 4 OEM TPMS sensors , shipped to VA for $1600. They come in tomorrow and I will give an update.

·
Registered
144 Posts
dcredrover said:
TO: dmljohnson Question for you on your LED Halos.... the size is 110mm right? Is that the same for all 4 lights both Xenon and high beam lights? total of 4, 110mm halos?

thanks!

no..i used 140mm led's for both= 3.5"....they fit perfect around the head lamps.....no smaller...no bigger...140mm and youre good( dcredrover)...been so long..i cant remember where or who i bought it from...its from ebay....will check for you guys....and no you do not have to splice the wiring....you can unplug the park light and see where you can actually fit an extra terminal on there.....yes you must drill very small holes to hide the wires...see where i put the marks on the light in yellow, there is where you actually drill your holes...and for the glue...i used the black adhesive just a touch of it to the back of the light..and for the front i used crazy glue.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts