RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
​Greetings all! I'm new here so please bear with me.

I am seriously thinking about ordering an RRS Autobiography. But my dilemma is that I have tested an Audi S6 and yet to drive the RRS. The RRS is mouth-watering, but the S6 is SWEET! Granted it's no RS6. I'm having a hard time trying to justify getting the RRS over the Audi S6. I know they are two completely different animals. I mean 510hp over 420hp on the S6. 0-60 about a roughly a second apart. The S6 has a 19 speaker Bang and Olufsen, which is amazing and would love to hear the 23 speaker Meridian sound system. Basically, this car would be for one person as I love big cars. Price wise, they would be roughly about $5-10K difference; however, I would hope I'd get a good deal with a cash purchase.

Someone please help convince me!

Thanks,

SPD.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
130 Posts
Hello Speedbrds- I had an 2013 S5 cabriolet so i know exactly how you feel (only had it for like 4 months). Even though you say the difference between the two (RRS ATB and S6) vehicles is about 5-10K; I believe the difference is more like $500 to 4k (if that, ijs).

Reasons to choose the 2014 RRS ATB.

1. You won't have to be concerned with entering businesses from the hwy or driveways with those horribly built inclines (and front vehicle scraps).
2. You can fit larger items in the rear of the vehicle (like pictures or a stereo, easily).
3. The interior is miles better in the RRs than in the audi's
4. The seating position (you can see further ahead of traffic and above other vehicles.
5. It's newer and there are less of them on the road (looks totally different from outgoing model).
6. It is more versatile (you can tow, raise and lower vehicle if necessary (flooding), etc.)
7. You won't have to worry about people with the A6 saying they have the same vehicle you have (lol).
8. With so many options and colorways, you can make yours super unique.

Not sure a cash purchase will get you a better deal on this one though.

Plus its fresher haha, my opinion of course.

Hope this helps.

Sir Rover

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
35 Posts
It's interesting that you posted this...I recently traded in my 2012 RRS for a 2013 S6. I was considering ordering a 2014 RRS (SC or ATB) this winter. I had a Audi S4 before the RRS and have also owned a few full size RR's over the years. I switched gears and went with the S6 since I really prefer the drive of a sports sedan over a SUV.

The other reason is that I had a number of annoying issues with the RRS and didn't care for the service experience overall. My S4 was trouble free and the service experience was much better. Some of the above comparisons are valid but I would not agree with the interior being better in the RRS. The S6 has a great interior and overall design. I also have not had any issues entering parking lots due to height (I did on the S4) but the S6 front end has not been an issue so far. The tech and nav are also years ahead of my 2012 RRS and appear to also be more advanced than the 2014.

If you are looking for an all wheel drive 4-door performance car, the S6 is hard to beat. I think the RRS is still a good option and it would be on my list if I wanted to go back to an SUV, but I would have some concerns over reliability.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hmmm..that's a hard question to answer, I'm almost in the same Boat, we have a '13 BMW 135is M and a '13 RRS, pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum and although I'm a huge BMW Fan and love driving the BMW I always end up wishing I was in the RRS..but that's all down to personal preference. So if I had to choose, it would be the RRS. Having said that, I've never driven an Audi, but still....

As for discount for Cash, no chance, maybe it was the fact that the Bimmer we bought was just introduced and was the only one on the West Coast at the time, and the RRS is a special edition, but both Dealers insisted on me doing a credit App, one made me wire the Money the other drove me to the Bank to get a Cashiers check, they both said "Oh look!! We can get you an awesome rate, you should finance" That's because they make money on the Loan/Lease. So don't expect any kind of discount for Cash.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The biggest factor is your driving routine. The S6 will be more fun in general; it will handle better, feel more engaging, and is perfectly suited to blasting from stoplight to stoplight or carving up back roads. The RRS will not be nearly as exciting just zooming around town, but it excels at being a serene highway cruiser. If you spend long hours on the highway, or really need the cargo space (since we can't get the glorious S6 avant in the U.S.), the RRS is for you. If long highway jaunts and/or road trips are not part of you usual routine, then you won't take advantage of the RRS's strength and I'd go S6.

And I doubt you'll find much of a deal on a 2014 RRS at this point, cash or no. Most dealers are completely sold out and you need to order one months in advance.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am ordering a RRS Autobiography and have had about 8 audi's in recent years. S8, S5, Q7s (4.2s), allroads, etc. My 2010 Q7 is great. Love the ergo of the audis. I have to say that the new RRS gets me excited. Great car. Interior awesome. Great performance. Just a real winner. To me there is no question at this point. I was going to load up a SC, but realized the autobiography was way to go. I am planning on a feb/march delivery and will trade my Q7 s-line V8 on it.

Audis are wonderful. I opted to get a 911 turbo to give me that fun stuff and look at the RRS as the daily fun car. A better approach in my book.

·
Banned
305 Posts
i have had 7 audis. currently have an r8 v10 and s4 in the garage too. i don't think they new sport interior is better than audi's, but finally equal to it. our 2010 sport is very nice, but had never equaled audi's attention to detail. the s6 is a rarer car than the sport unless you order an autobiography. generally the ordinary a6 and new sports will be equivalent in number on the road. exclusivity is not the reason to chose one over the other. but if you are a true driving enthusiast the choice of s6 is a no brainer. with mods that thing can stay with and pull on a new M5. and it can turn too. stock it is already a rocket. it might come down to a lifestyle choice issue. can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aargh! I still can't make my mind up! I am seriously thinking about getting both. My happiness CAN be bought!

Spd.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a 2014 Lexus LS 460 F-Sport and save 17 K. lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
OK, I stopped by my local Land Rover dealer. They gave me the keys to a 14 RRS V-6 HSE. I sat inside and actually the 14 seats are more comfortable to me and have more shoulder room that my 12 RRS Auto, I started the engine and messed with the controls for a little while. Radio, Climate, cooled and heated seats, etc. I cranked meridian 825 watt stereo up about 3/4 way or a little more with a good Rap song on, not my kinda music, but its a great test for a stereo system. I got outside with the doors closed, walked around to the rear hatch, no rattle from the subwoofer, cool.
I raised and opened the rear hatch with the key fob up and down and used the close button on hatch several times, like at least 20 times. Worked without a glitch.

In a couple of weeks after they have their launch on Sept. 20 at my local dealer, I'm going to try to get it for a couple of hours or more and sink my iphone 5 by bluetooth and make a bunch of calls. I had problems with radio/Bluetooth and my iphone 4S. On my 12 RRS, Sometimes when a call came in, you could hear the person on the speakers and the radio would go almost wide open and I would have to disconnect the call cause I couldn't answer it. Or when you made a call and the person your calling would answer, the radio would go almost full volume and you could hear the person talking too. WTF

The transmission is gonna take some time to get used too, shifting knob is small, I felt like I was holding a joystick controller. lol It shifts smooth though.
You have to pull in a button and pull the stick towards you to put it in drive. Then when you stop, you push it forward for reverse. To put it in park, you have to push the park button and it will put the tranny in park for you.

The V-6 doesn't have that much low end torque starting off until the RPM's come up on the Supercharger then it starts taking off. Plenty of power for passing, you just have to get in the throttle a little to get the RRS to move out. I guess I'm used to all the torque from the V-8 Supercharger. I think I could be happy with the V-6 S/C but I will probably spend the extra cash to get the V-8 S/C. I pressed the average MPG to display on the dash. I put about 30 miles on it, looked like all I got was about 14 mpg, I did drive pretty aggressive. I got about 15 mpg city and 19 hwy with my V-8 S/C AWD.

Vehicle seemed to be more nimble and felt more balanced driving than my 12 RRS. Outside looks good, but it doesn't grab me like the 10-13 RRS Autobiography did. Outside is kinda growing on me. What choice do we have. Rear taillights, I wish were bigger.

Was thinking about buying a 2014 LS 460 loaded but I may get back in a RRS. I kinda miss sitting up high and my old RRS was comfortable and fun to drive with the V-8 S/C.

The V-6 S/C isn't no slacker either, I got on it several times and it performed very well. I may save 20k and get the V-6 S/C then put a smaller pulley on the blower and get a tune for it, then it will be almost as fast as a V-8 S/C.:mrgreen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts