RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am in the process of relocating to Dubai, UAE from the USA and plan on taking my 08 RRS-SC with me. Interestingly, NavTech has informed me that the Middle East and European market maps will not work in my US spec vehicle. Can anyone verify that this is correct and if there is a way to overcome this issue as I would definitely enjoy the continued use of my navigation system?

I contacted LR direct and they only confirmed it wouldn't work and offered no resolution. I even asked them if I could replace the entire navigation system of which they didn't respond. Appreciate any assistance and insights.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
AFAIK, nobody on these forums tried that trick. Some owners in Dubai (who imported their RRS from the US) were told the same thing by both Land Rover and Navteq - no go on swapping discs of different regions. But they never explained why... :?: I get the feeling that all satnav systems are identical when the cars come out of the UK factory, regardless of destination. However, once you insert the region specific map DVD in the drive under the seat, something gets permanently written on the satnav system's ROM identifying the country (I am thinking because of liability reasons, for example dealers cannot enable navigation on the move here in North America, but they can do so in Europe using the same diagnostics) and it may not be possible to overwrite the firmware simply by swapping discs, so you'd get an error message of some sort. Buying a brand new DVD drive to replace the existing one should work IMO, although it would obviously be very expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suggested the very thing you did in regards to swapping out the DVD drive to one from the UAE due to region code issues possibly being the issue. Interestingly enough I was told that this would not work either with no further reason as to why, I found this to be rather strange as the DVD drive is techically the brains/computer of the entire system. I find it funny that this isn't possible as a friend of mine from California took his corvette to Germany and all he did was swap DVD and everything worked great, same with a couple guys here in the UAE. Navtech produces the DVD maps for that car to and pretty much 99% of all car DVD based navigation systems.

I guess it's similiar to the same limitations that place on Jaguar cars, speed electronically limited to 155mph - same as the RRS-SC, has a jaguar engine and is limited to 155mph although it can be hacked.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
As intermingled as the computer systems are there may be more than one place where the regional information is checked. For instance the odometer on a P38 is stored in the Becm and the instrument cluster. On my 300 the navigation/ICE system also checked the main computer for regional settings. By changing the main system regional setting the ICE would immediately change to the correct frequency spacing for radio and then advise to change the nav disc to the correct region.

Just a thought to throw out there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
interesingly enough ...I just got a job offer here in the ME ...and had to ship my rrs from VA/DC with me...(over the plane) with a cheap price from the company...lucky me.. 8) .and there is nothing that does not work...everything will work just fine...disgard anything anyone will tell you especially the stealerships around the ME....they just want you to buy the same car with double the price tag...I just took a copy of my friend's RRS Nav DVD and loaded it in my car...and viola...it works just fine.. and it includes all GCC countries... which is usually sold by the stealer here for more than 600-700 $.....also one note is that you have to do umberto's Radio trick posted somewhere in the forum to get the .0 frequency going every time you start your car ....you dont have to change any single thing in your car.....

best

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Awesome input Range SC, you were the guy I was hoping would chime in on this issue, as I remember you had to ship your car there a while back. :thumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts
:D you got that right umberto....and all the thanks to you and this great forum.....yeah now my copied Nav CD works just fine...although I am still trying to figure out how to save the radio freq. selection so i wouldn't have to do it every time I start my car...

best

khaled

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is outstanding news!!! Are you using the latest map set available for purchase or is a copy of map set available????

·
Registered
106 Posts
apparently I am using the 2006 maps which i copied from a friend of mine who owns the big brother RR... there are some newer ones but I had a hard time finding them so I decided to go with the 06 maps... although once saw a guy at the car wash with a newer RR supercharged but didn’t have the courage or/and the laptop handy so I would get a copy of his newer maps... :lol: overall they work just as fine as others and don’t have to worry about the ridiculous prices at the dealers....and one thing I noted the Navtec's website do offer them for a little cheaper price I guess....

best

·
Registered
59 Posts
Commander I can only agree with Range SC I've got an imported RRS here in Oman that came from the US. Absolultely no issues, eferthing works :D , other than the AC can't cope with the 50C in the summer, especially with the humidity... :( but then most cars AC don't either...

Range SC - If you're looking for a copy of newer maps I can drop by in Dubai next time I'm there and you can take a copy :wink: Presuming you're in Dubai that is. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
748 Posts
wow, thats an expensive form of diagnosis. but thanks for throwing your vehicle over there so we know it works.

of course you will be one of a million but oh well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys did anyone try to MED maps on a US Spec RRS 2011, the 2011 module has a hard drive and not the DVD Drive so the maps have to be uploaded :(, is there any way to get this done, by downloading the maps from another 2011 or from the internet then uploading it to a US Spec RRS so it would work in the Middle East?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
4 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I recently relocated from the US to Saudi, and I'm looking into updating the navi maps. As per omarbahar's comment, my navi is an HD module as well, and apparently it uses the USB that naviteq/RR sells online for around 280EU. The only concern is, I don't wanna fork up that much for something that wont work, would any one here happen to know if it does? Also, any clue on how to set the .0 frequency? I searched the forum with no avail... Thanks...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just purchased a 2010 Range Rover Supercharged American Spec in United Arab Emirates. Can you please tell me how did you get the radio to work to catch local UAE radio frequencies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is an old thread but I give you my two cents of input anyway as your question helped me on the right track. Yes, the dvd based maps from Navteq in Landrovers models from 2003-2010 are locked regionaly by the main computer (dvd player) in the car. You can't get around it without replacing the hardware. I bought a Dubai originated RRS in Sweden and was offered the replacement by Landrover for the ultimate price £4500 + installation/coding + VAT in total £7000 (no joke). The units do not exist on a shelf anywhere but has to be built by hand to the old spec! I was lucky to find a second hand unit from a crashed vehicle for 10% of the cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts