RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
1) You can ask the dealer to install the dock somewhere else I'm sure (or DIY), but since there is no way of telling which track / playlist and so on you are choosing with the steering wheel controls without looking at the iPod screen, you may regret not having it in sight.

2) Yes. The user manual says that whenever the iPod or USB device is removed and/or the ignition is turned off, the current playback position is saved.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Okay, I ordered it. I don't really care about not seeing the playlist and song info. It's my iPod so I figure I should know what's on it. I actually have a similar setup right now with my iPod in the center console and an RF remove velcro'd behind the steering wheel. But this is a cleaner solution with the real steering wheel controls (and a few extra features). Plus, I won't have to manually turn off my iPod every time (if I don't do that now, it will keep playing until the battery dies).

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
thanks for taking the leap Motaki. we're expecting a full report with pics :D nah seriously, let us know the good, bad & ugly when you get it installed.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Not much to see, really... The volume level of the iPod is still substantially lower than the rest of the system, better than the connection I used to have in the past (cheapo wire between the iPod headphones out and AUX in jacks), but still nowhere near the level of CD, radio, sat, etc. So, you will still get startled - to say the least - if the navigation is blaring instructions while you are listening to your iPod at high volume - which is the only way you are going to wanna hear it if you are like me... ;-) Also, as you can see the installation is far from elegant or inconspicuous. If I forget my iPod on the cradle, it is only a matter of time before someone smashes the window to grab it. But at least the iPod is there and having some basic controls at your fingertips on the steering wheel is definitely nice, and worth the $500 bucks or so the module cost (with installation done by the dealer), at least to me.

Sorry about the bad quality pictures, don't have my trusty Canon and had to use the sucky one I keep at the office. Going to the gas station next. :D

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
Thanks Umbertob. Was it not possible for them to install in the glove compartment or somewhere in the central console?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
drdread said:
Thanks Umbertob. Was it not possible for them to install in the glove compartment or somewhere in the central console?
Sure, but since there is no visual feeback on radio LCD or nav monitor of what is playing on the iPod, such as track name, playlist, etc., I want to be able to see the screen of the iPod, so I went with the "default" installation (which, as I suspected, is not possible above the ignition. There isn't enough room there, unless you are in a RH drive country such as the UK.) I thought of getting some sort of aftermarket base for the cradle to move it somewhere else near the front console, where I will still be able to see the iPod (like the one below, for example), but I can always do that later I guess.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Isn't the whole reason to get the connection kit so that you can plug your iPod in and control it from the radio? In which case you can just leave it in the glove box, right?

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
it sounds like you can have them install it in the glove box so you can eave it in there, but just realize that no song/playlist information is sent to the radio display.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Right, as reported above you cannot control the iPod (or USB stick) from the radio with this module. You have limited control of it through steering wheel buttons only, and no track / playlist info can be viewed anywhere but on the iPod screen itself.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
texas911 said:
I'll wait for round 2 of the kit then, that displays info on the radio screen and lets you control it from there too.
Kudos to you for being so optimistic. I thought of that, but I figured "round 2" will likely not be around until I trade my car in a couple of years, so... :wink:

Of course, Nav-TV should come up with its own version, any day now. :D :D :D

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yes, Round 2 will be a new car design. 8) There will be no additional engineering/hacking for the existing system from Land Rover.

The current solution is almost not integrated at all... it uses the same AUX audio input, and it intercepts the steering wheel button presses. It's a total hack. The system, regretably, just wasn't designed with this in mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought my wife a used '06 LR3 tonight. Wondering where the iPod connectivity module... connects. I found a iPod cable in the globe box that looks like it would plug into some kind of ECU at the other end... I'm assuming this system patches into the AUX channel? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Do you have a picture of that cable? On my car, the iPod cable is perhaps 4-5 ft long, and connects the iPod to the AC module that the dealer installed in the empty space under the tray in front of the touchscreen of my RRS... Can't remember exactly what the plug that connect to the module looks like, but I believe it was a round male, with several pins, kinda-sorta a S-Video connector...

·
Registered
4 Posts
haha I figured... looks like a slightly smaller ECU cable for my RSX... Wonder if the salesman just threw that in there to say "yeah, it's got an ipod kit..." Well, she needs her 45k mile service soon so I'll just ask the lr dealer. I'm also wondering if the car has bluetooth (the salesman didn't know) because it has the phone button on the audio unit, and says "No phone attached" (or something like that) but none of my bluetooth phones can find the car...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Do you have a Send/End phone paddle on the steering wheel? If you don't, your car probably doesn't have PTI/Bluetooth. Also check under the center armrest lid, all RRS and LR3s with PTI (up to MY08s, I think) used to include a useless dock for an optional phone cradle there.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts