RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Range Rover Sport V6 HSE L494
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Recently I decided to switch out the front grille of my 2016 RRS L494 HSE from the standard matte chrome grille to the gloss black SVR one. Honestly one if the easiest and cheapest replacement projects I have ever done!
How’s it look?
B1A6A036-BDFD-4328-AFE4-E99A588A9532.jpeg
42FE7A78-0200-4E69-8212-62A41A3751AC.jpeg
A7FB4B5E-0BEC-43BE-99B9-E01EBC6DC280.jpeg
624DD611-4BFD-4B6A-B744-10D79743DE24.jpeg

·
Registered
2014 Range Rover Sport AB
22 Posts
Me to I just swapped mine over for the 2018 style

Gives it a bit of a fresher look but its not like i didnt like the old though I stuck with the gloss black as I reckon its will be easier to keep clean in winter!

Really easy job just need to be mindful of the paint work when removing the grille (it does take a fair bit of muscle to remove the bottom tangs) dont be scared, or just put down some masking tape.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks REALLY great CinnamonRoll and should have came from the factory that way in my opinion...

I did my grill, fog light housing/bars... I refinished the "Stormer" rims in Gloss Black, rear tailgate trim bar, and lastly swapped the silver RANGE ROVER lettering for Gloss Black as well. Next I'm going to gloss black the last of the gray on the center/bottom of the bumpers both front and back to match. I'm sourcing a gloss black with red letter fill Supercharged badge as well to complete the blacked out look.

I really want to do the fender and hood vent/cowls as well but am apprehensive about taking them off the ROVER to prep, and multiple light coats of gloss black as well to remove the gray accent. I can't see how they are attached and can see accidentally breaking the retaining tabs and having to order them from the UK... If anyone has a trick or technique for removal of the vents and reattaching then please PM me! Here is our 14.5' ROVER SPORT...

Range Rover Sport Supercharged with side view.jpg

Range Rover Sport Supercharged with new Range Rover Lettering.jpg

Rover pic 4.jpg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Why the oil drip tray?
It's a good thing to do for all/any vehicle... I take a 8' long by 4' wide piece of near white (new) plywood underneath both our ROVER and JEEP RUBICON right in the center of the parking spaces; as they absorb leaks and will certainly let you know what's leaking and where it is coming from... i.e. engine oil, tranny fluid, coolant, transfer case fluid, dynamic fluid, front and rear differential gear oil CV Axle grease, etc... I check them weekly and it allows you to jump on a small problem before it becomes a bigger one! It's a cheap warning system that keep your garage floor nice and clean as well.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
274 Posts
Looks REALLY great CinnamonRoll and should have came from the factory that way in my opinion...

I did my grill, fog light housing/bars... I refinished the "Stormer" rims in Gloss Black, rear tailgate trim bar, and lastly swapped the silver RANGE ROVER lettering for Gloss Black as well. Next I'm going to gloss black the last of the gray on the center/bottom of the bumpers both front and back to match. I'm sourcing a gloss black with red letter fill Supercharged badge as well to complete the blacked out look.

I really want to do the fender and hood vent/cowls as well but am apprehensive about taking them off the ROVER to prep, and multiple light coats of gloss black as well to remove the gray accent. I can't see how they are attached and can see accidentally breaking the retaining tabs and having to order them from the UK... If anyone has a trick or technique for removal of the vents and reattaching then please PM me! Here is our 14.5' ROVER SPORT...

View attachment 286810

View attachment 286809
View attachment 286811
You should just look at having those skid plates / tow covers wrapped.

much cheaper than painting and no real need to remove.

I did it on my last Sport and was really pleased with it. Think it cost me $200.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You should just look at having those skid plates / tow covers wrapped.

much cheaper than painting and no real need to remove.

I did it on my last Sport and was really pleased with it. Think it cost me $200.

I like the wrap for sure! How does it hold up to rocks and road debris (especially on the front tow cover)???

I was going to paint them myself like I did my rims and other parts as I've done it enough now that I'm pretty darn good at it. If I get any chips I can wash, dry and hit them with a light touch up coat from road debris and chips. I've had good results with Plasti-Dip as well. That stuff is amazing and super forgiving if you mess up...

I like your idea of the wrap though especially if I can do it myself. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I like the wrap for sure! How does it hold up to rocks and road debris (especially on the front tow cover)???

I was going to paint them myself like I did my rims and other parts as I've done it enough now that I'm pretty darn good at it. If I get any chips I can wash, dry and hit them with a light touch up coat from road debris and chips. I've had good results with Plasti-Dip as well. That stuff is amazing and super forgiving if you mess up...

I like your idea of the wrap though especially if I can do it myself. Thanks for posting!
Pretty well. My whole vehicle is wrapped and if anything it’s protected the paint.

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
224 Posts
Plus 2 on getting the panels wrapped. Will be more durable than paint. I dislike the way plasti dip looks as well. It seems to come off always looking like a crap flat black rattle can job on panels like that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Plus 2 on getting the panels wrapped. Will be more durable than paint. I dislike the way plasti dip looks as well. It seems to come off always looking like a crap flat black rattle can job on panels like that.
Yup.

just make sure when doing it yourself to watch a few videos. They’re pretty easy pieces to wrap but have a game plan for sure. Alcohol wipes are great for cleaning the surface and don’t apply if it’s too cold (heat gun helps).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just had my rear skid plate wrapped in satin black. Two fasteners at bottom turn quarter turn and off it comes. Left it at shop and picked it up a couple of hours later. $100.00. Looks factory. Very pleased. Satin blends in with bumper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Ham Hands,
Nice updates. What's next?!?

Just picked up a white '16 TD6 off auction last month. First time Plasti-dipping the emblems, grille, tail trim...gonna see how it goes for now, but may go w/ gloss black replacement badging/grille later.
I know most RRS's go with the blackout package including mirror covers, but I'm OK with them white.
It was missing the front tow cover so I just ordered a gloss black one, which ties back to the grille trim.
Now if I can only get out the apartment and drive it!

View attachment 286810

View attachment 286809
View attachment 286811

1 - 18 of 18 Posts