RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question for you guys on the forum. I am a long term Land Rover owner and have almost always been thrilled with my cars however I have what I consider 1 small gripe with my 2011 RRS HSE Luxury. I wanted to know if other people are having similar problems with this wheel. I believe it was also the wheel on the 2009 RRS Supercharged perhaps on other years as well. I have owned a 2001 RR HSE, a 2002 RR HSE, a 2005 LR3 HSE, a 2008 RR HSE and now a 2011 RRS HSE Lux.

Needless to say I consider myself a dedicated Land Rover owner. However in the last decade of owning Land Rovers I have never gotten curb rash on even one wheel... UNTIL my 2011 RRS. I got this car in March of this year and by this summer I found myself with curb rash on all four of my wheels. Honestly the fact that I had never needed to repair a wheel on any Land Rover I owned didn't even cross my mind. However as I write this I find myself again with curb rash on all of my wheels.

Now I do live in New York City and its fair to say that my garage is not "gentle" on our cars but I am the kind of guy that even with my bar and ball in my hitch puts bumper guards on the front and rear bumpers every time I pull my car into the garage. So I know they have damaged at least 2 of the wheels but I have damaged two of them myself 1 I recall doing and one I don't. Honestly I cant be mad about the 1 wheel i know about but I cant help but think that in all my other cars the wheel might not have been damaged at all and certainly it wouldn't have been as bad (I am starting to think this thread needs photos).

None of my wheels have "chunks" out of them but they all have rash. Needless to say at this point this really annoys me. I am not going to lie and say I take my RRS off road but I did take my 01 02 and 05 off road and I expect a rover to be able to take a slight beating without really looking like it.

Long story short I won't go so far as to say the wheels have a design flaw but i certainly feel like the wheel tire combo is either a poor combination or the wheels are just poorly designed. Perhaps I am just having an extremely unlucky stretch but I wanted to see if any other owners are having this problem.

I wanted to hear some feedback before I go complaining to Land Rover NA but needless to say I plan to do that.

Any feedback from other owners would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would get it fixed b/c I feel LR would laugh at you. I have curb rash on my right two wheels and recall clearly each time it happened as I was the culprit. Wheels are meant to get rash unless you live in a little town with no curbs.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Hahaha, these "My wheels went out while I was sleeping and got a bad case of the Curb Rash" posts always crack me up... I think I know what you mean - our stock low profile tires and huge, in-your-face alloy designs are not very forgiving, that's for sure - but ultimately a 2011 RRS isn't any more prone to scraping curbs than your former MY08, 05, 01, etc. You (or whoever drives your car) are. If you started parking and keeping an extra 2-3" away from the curbs of NYC, I am fairly confident there would be no need to complain to LRNA about their poorly designed wheels. :wink: Thanks for the good laugh and yeah, probably not a good idea to call Land Rover on that one. It's easier to blame the wife, if you're married.

The original 19" rims (chromed, which only added insult to injury) that came with my new Sport got bad rashes all over the place within a few weeks of my purchase, especially on the passenger side for some inexplicable reason, and I keep them in an air conditioned garage! Them ungrateful bastards, worst wheels I've ever owned. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Welcome guess402.

I travel into the city quite a bit and I've come to the conclusion that wheels and tires as well as painted bumper covers are just asking for trouble in there. And forget those rubber bumper bully things.

Everytime I go in now, I have my local mechanic take the wheels off and put Mattracks on. He also takes off the bumper covers and replaces them with 1/4" thick welded steel diamond plate bumpers that I had made specifically for my trips in there. Its a bit of a pain in the arse to do this each time but its a peace of mind thing.

Not saying this is for everyone, but its working for me.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
335 Posts
Welcome guess402.

I travel into the city quite a bit and I've come to the conclusion that wheels and tires as well as painted bumper covers are just asking for trouble in there. And forget those rubber bumper bully things.

Everytime I go in now, I have my local mechanic take the wheels off and put Mattracks on. He also takes off the bumper covers and replaces them with 1/4" thick welded steel diamond plate bumpers that I had made specifically for my trips in there. Its a bit of a pain in the arse to do this each time but its a peace of mind thing.

Not saying this is for everyone, but its working for me.
**** Goosey, I thought you would be all over this guy!! oh well, but this was one of the best laughs I had, blaming the design of the rim cause you cant park you truck with out rubbing them on the curb! Yes please dont take this complaint to the dealer, they might just laugh you out the show room!! lol

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
Just a quick question for you guys on the forum. I am a long term Land Rover owner and have almost always been thrilled with my cars however I have what I consider 1 small gripe with my 2011 RRS HSE Luxury. I wanted to know if other people are having similar problems with this wheel. I believe it was also the wheel on the 2009 RRS Supercharged perhaps on other years as well. I have owned a 2001 RR HSE, a 2002 RR HSE, a 2005 LR3 HSE, a 2008 RR HSE and now a 2011 RRS HSE Lux.

Needless to say I consider myself a dedicated Land Rover owner. However in the last decade of owning Land Rovers I have never gotten curb rash on even one wheel... UNTIL my 2011 RRS. I got this car in March of this year and by this summer I found myself with curb rash on all four of my wheels. Honestly the fact that I had never needed to repair a wheel on any Land Rover I owned didn't even cross my mind. However as I write this I find myself again with curb rash on all of my wheels.

Now I do live in New York City and its fair to say that my garage is not "gentle" on our cars but I am the kind of guy that even with my bar and ball in my hitch puts bumper guards on the front and rear bumpers every time I pull my car into the garage. So I know they have damaged at least 2 of the wheels but I have damaged two of them myself 1 I recall doing and one I don't. Honestly I cant be mad about the 1 wheel i know about but I cant help but think that in all my other cars the wheel might not have been damaged at all and certainly it wouldn't have been as bad (I am starting to think this thread needs photos).

None of my wheels have "chunks" out of them but they all have rash. Needless to say at this point this really annoys me. I am not going to lie and say I take my RRS off road but I did take my 01 02 and 05 off road and I expect a rover to be able to take a slight beating without really looking like it.

Long story short I won't go so far as to say the wheels have a design flaw but i certainly feel like the wheel tire combo is either a poor combination or the wheels are just poorly designed. Perhaps I am just having an extremely unlucky stretch but I wanted to see if any other owners are having this problem.

I wanted to hear some feedback before I go complaining to Land Rover NA but needless to say I plan to do that.

Any feedback from other owners would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, it is the design of the rim. I never had curb rash issues until I got those style 5 rims (aka 2011 luxe rims), the specs say they're 9.5" wide but upon measuring them from outer lip to outer lip they're more like 10" (9.87"). The net effect is that with a 275mm wide tire the rim's lip protrudes way beyond the tires sidewall by +1/8"; those who have these wheels with stock spec tires go and measure yourselves.
This never happened with OEM stormers or the 20" supercharged wheels of the past. I spoke to the wheel repair guy and he said he's never had as many calls from LR since the new style wheels. He concurs that it's a design issue with the wheels, and loves it.

The only solution i can come up with is to go with 295/40s in order to get adequate curb protection. I saw someone with this combo and it looked quite good.

Being awful at parallel parking like I am doesn't help either. And I have to admit that I'm 100 times more aware now, so it seems to be happening less.

It ain't you brother, it's the wheel.

Rafa

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
**** Goosey, I thought you would be all over this guy!! oh well, but this was one of the best laughs I had, blaming the design of the rim cause you cant park you truck with out rubbing them on the curb! Yes please dont take this complaint to the dealer, they might just laugh you out the show room!! lol
98, I think you're being a bit rude here. Everyone mucks up a rim occasionally. I pretty much consider myself an "elite" parallel parker. Perfect being 100, I'm maybe 98.5 (probably really more like a 99, but I'm being conservative). That said, I sometimes get a bit of a scratch on mine; perhaps due to a cold that's affecting my inner ear, or trying to impress the ladies and pushing the envelope to get that gap down to 1/2" between wheel and curb, or whatever.

The point I'm trying to make is I wouldn't wear my Barker Black's bird hunting, or my Le Chameau's to a fine restaurant. Its about choosing the most appropriate equipment. When I head to the city, the Pimpstars come off and the Mattracks go on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts