RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I will be purchasing a 2013 RRS LUX and wanted to see how the navigation was and if anyone has had luck getting CarPlay working with an aftermarket add on. I have see some online and they say it's compatible with a 2013 however the dash they are showing on the video looks to be a MY2014 and newer. Did JLR use the say navi system between 2013-2017?

Thanks,

Brandon

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,964 Posts
I have a 2013 RRS HSE lux and neverheard of CarPlay working with it. No the screen of the 2014 is different from my 2013.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2013 RRS HSE a few months ago and also recently learned through extensive searches that there are no after market receivers confirmed to fit our vehicles. The OG sites like Crutchfield, Sonic Electronix, dont show anything that fits our specs. I didn't want to take a risk and buy a receiver only to find that the display would be incompatible with the existing bezel. There's not even an installation harness of any kind!

I'll share with you what I did find, in hope that it helps you and other owners of our same year and model too. First off, what we have is classified as a "Gen 3" OS. The 2014's and on have the Gen 4. There is a glimmer of hope in a possibility of using and "Android Auto Interface" (not sure of Apple's version. I'm an Android user). The way this is supposed to work is that you should be able to replug all the cables such as the GPS, Audio, USB, etc into this unit and it will use the factory screen to display an Android OS, allowing you to use Google Maps, Pandora, etc as would on your Android smartphone. This also allows for use of the Android Auto app, which would make your setup current with newer model cars that have this feature built-in. It will require removing the center console and installing this unit in the cavity behind the existing monitor.
Operation the unit should be simple, as now the factory nav is disabled, all you have to is tap the Nav button in the factory OS menu and it will take you to the Android OS, displaying apps and all for you to use. You can still pair via bluetooth and all features (except factory nav) should be enabled like your existing backup cam, etc.

I ordered this unit a week back and I'm awaiting it's arrival so I can install it once it arrives:
https://www.canavie.com/android-autoradio-car-stereo-audio-head-unit-evoque-cheryevoque-range-rover-sport-hse-jaguar-discovery-freelander-4-2013-2014-2015-p875371.html

I also believe that it will not void any warranty because you are not replacing anything whatsoever.

I was fortunate to find a somewhat crude video on how to remove the center console to access the receiver/monitor too:
https://youtu.be/0PU90bFKGf8

I'm a little nervous because it's a really nice car and to me only two months old. But I had a '01 Disco and have a bit of DIY experience in installing receivers, wiring USB ports throughout the car, mechanical work, you name it...

I'll post my results once make this all happen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts