RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was closing my powered tailgate today and it made the most horrific crunching noise, then stopped working. Lifted it up manually, and the strut had popped off at the top, pushed its way into the metal body panel behind and made a bit of a mess - annoying!

So I managed to pop it back on and re-seat the clip, but it comes back off easily if I pull. Is there a way to repair the ball joint connector on the end of the strut, or is it a new strut job? I'd rather not pay out £200 for a new strut if I can help it!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine did the same, the damage was quite annoying. In my case the ball joint receiver on the strut was fractured and non recoverable.

GBP 150 for the replacement and I recommend having a spare rectangular bolt/retainer for the tailgate handle (order at the same time)

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2013 had this same issue. The left one kept coming off every third or fourth open/close movement. The replacement struts are quite expensive, and since this car uses two it was a $900 proposition (assuming I used LR OE part and replaced both left and right, per there instruction.)

My fix cost me $30, and now 7 months later, and countless open/closing operations later still works.

I went to the LR dealer and ordered the strut bracket that bolts onto the side of the trunk area and has the ball joint for the strut. It wasn't very expensive, $30 (its cheaper online, see attachment).

Once I replaced that bracket, you could see the ball joint of the old bracket had worn just a tad over the years. What also had worn down was the metal clip on the strut itself that secures the strut to the ball joint. I went ahead and removed the metal retaining clip from the lower strut and swapped it with the metal retaining clip from the other end. (The one that secures the strut to the tailgate.)

Both the replacement of the bracket, and the swap of retaining clips fixed my strut from coming off and scratching up my vehicles paint. I concluded it was the years of operation that lead to both those items slowly wearing down and increasing the gap tolerances. Since the lower strut mount takes the majority of the grunt work to get the tailgate up, swapping the retaining clips didn't effect the other side at all. -- Best of all, it saved me $350-900! Once it acts up again i'll either no longer own this car, or hopefully some aftermarket company will have made a cheaper alternative.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts