RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Professionally I'm adjusted to the Preventative Maintenance way of thinking. So when it comes to my RRS, I'm not waiting for a French road side mechanic to me that I need to remortgage my house in order to get the old gal fixed or towed back to England with the caravan hanging off the tow ball. Running the math, I have concluded that its better for me to renew a lot of the mechanicals (£10K), rather than spending the same amount to change the vehicle for a slightly newer one...that option cant compete in my view. So, replace all engine auxiliaries, gearbox rebuild, all new running gear right down to the wheel bearings. Don't want to lift the body, so turbos left alone. (for now). All bushes done three years ago. What else????

·
Registered
593 Posts
Go right ahead if you just want to waste money - there is is plenty of preventative maintenence in the service schedule plus a little bit of smart maintenance - but if your gearbox was OK why rebuild - why not just change the filter and fluid - engine ancillaries - if engine has high miles maybe but if there is nothing to highlight a problem then why not check them out when you do a belt change.

To be sure - why not change the engine just in case it breaks down.

There is a case to be aware of the maintenance requirements of your car as act accordingly but no reason to go over the top as you seem to have - you cannot cover everything.

Garry

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Preventive maintenance is follow the maintenance schedule. On newer cars it's a good idea to follow schedule B for heavy use vehicles. Things like oil change intervals are more frequent. Visual inspections are more frequent... all designed to catch issues when they are small. As far as changing ancilaries, personally I feel that is a complete waste of time and monies. Items like power steering pumps, A/C compressors etc easily last twice the mileage you already have. Alternators rarely just fail, there are usually little hints when bearings are worn or output weakens. When you take into account that new parts are just as likely to fail as tried and true parts your logic leaves a bit to be desired.

No matter what you replace, rebuild or how well you care of your car a basic, simple part failure can leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.
WHEN that happens you can only hope that Frenchman you have shown disdain for is understanding, knowledgeable and helpful. 8-|=

1 - 3 of 3 Posts