Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just test drove a 2010 RRS today and all I can say is WOW. After the test drive it made my decision 100% clear that this is the front runner by a mile as far as purchasing one in the coming month.

What I loved about it is all the new features and interior designs so to say that the new model possess.

Love the rear camera option, the warm seats, etc.

However, I am looking for a model that has the 4.4 L due to gas reasons. I don't need a 5.0 that eats 12mpg where as the 4.4 is about 15 mpg I believe.

I originally thought it was the 06' that came wiht it but I believe the 07 does as well...What year does the engine change to a bigger one? 08' is the last 4.4 or 09'?

Also, someone close to me that works with dealers says that the Range has a very high lease cost because they prefer people to buy than lease due to the inability to hold its value and problems it causes.

I have noticed that miles on this car drops the car value tremendously and was wondering if this is a smart choice. He said without warranty, maintenance is extremely expensive on this vehicle along with the problems it is known for creating. Another relative had theirs in the service center in and out on a monthly basis and this isn't somethign I want to deal with. Is the RR that bad when it comes to this stuff?

Also, what is the main difference between the model year with the 4.4 engine compared to the new one? Is it too risky purchasing an 06-07 due to mileage and usage ? How much does extended warranty generally cost? Thanks a ton guys appreciate it!!

PS: it was a HSE model I drove and the brakes on that thing on awesome and the power...not sure why someone would need a SC on it...and I came from a s2000.

·
Registered
318 Posts
ET7 said:
Hey guys, I just test drove a 2010 RRS today and all I can say is WOW. After the test drive it made my decision 100% clear that this is the front runner by a mile as far as purchasing one in the coming month.

What I loved about it is all the new features and interior designs so to say that the new model possess.

Love the rear camera option, the warm seats, etc.

However, I am looking for a model that has the 4.4 L due to gas reasons. I don't need a 5.0 that eats 12mpg where as the 4.4 is about 15 mpg I believe.

I originally thought it was the 06' that came wiht it but I believe the 07 does as well...What year does the engine change to a bigger one? 08' is the last 4.4 or 09'?

Also, someone close to me that works with dealers says that the Range has a very high lease cost because they prefer people to buy than lease due to the inability to hold its value and problems it causes.

I have noticed that miles on this car drops the car value tremendously and was wondering if this is a smart choice. He said without warranty, maintenance is extremely expensive on this vehicle along with the problems it is known for creating. Another relative had theirs in the service center in and out on a monthly basis and this isn't somethign I want to deal with. Is the RR that bad when it comes to this stuff?

Also, what is the main difference between the model year with the 4.4 engine compared to the new one? Is it too risky purchasing an 06-07 due to mileage and usage ? How much does extended warranty generally cost? Thanks a ton guys appreciate it!!

PS: it was a HSE model I drove and the brakes on that thing on awesome and the power...not sure why someone would need a SC on it...and I came from a s2000.
A LOT of this can be covered by using the search feature...I did that for about 2 weeks before posting. Anyway, I don't understand your logic of not wanting the S/C model when the fuel efficiency is about the same. If you don't want the power, then ok, but don't let gas mileage get in the way. I personally think the 400 hp is a good amount for the weight of this vehicle, the 510 on the news ones must be incredible.

The RRS is a very reliable vehicle. Of course maintenance will be more expensive, it's a European car. You could always make the safe choice and get a Lexus if you are worried about all this stuff. With that one you only have to worry about the gas pedal getting stuck and rocketing your car to 100 mph.

Oh and a warranty will run you about 4k...its a sucker's bet if you ask me. You're basically betting that you'll have 4k of warranty repairs in two years - good idea with the older full size HSE's, bad idea with the RRS.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
263 Posts
The engines changed for the 2010 model year I believe. The 2006/2007 HSE's have the 4.4l in them. Actually, land rover has the best residual value of all vehicles in its class. I'm in Canada and was quoted 2300.00 for an extended warranty, giving me 8 years and 150000km coverage (including manufacturer period) with identical coverage for the full time as the original manufacturers warranty.
From a repair perspective most people will tell you it isn't a big deal. Stuff that isn't covered by warranty can be done by an independent shop at a lower cost. I had brakes done all around for $850.00 complete. Half that cost was labor, the days of $35.00 an hour mechanics are gone, no matter what you drive.

Gas mileage is really something you cannot focus on. If it is that much of a concern Toyota has a few hybrid options, the municipality sells bus passes, and bikes are relatively inexpensive but their resale value sucks. `) My gas mileage on my 2007 is the same as I had on my 2003 Ford exploder, trucks are trucks when it comes to gas mileage, the difference is maybe a tank or two over the course of a year to drive the RRS.

·
Registered
83 Posts
wow, lots of questions. get the 2010 HSE and you will be very happy. the gas mileage is no reason to get an older model with an older engine. imho

·
Registered
126 Posts
gas mileage is not something I would even consider as you will be dissapointed regardless..

those 12-15 mpg stats you quoted are only when the car is in nuetral and headed down hill with the ignition off..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Get the 2010. The difference between the interiors is night and day. The quoted gas mileage is about the same between the new engines and the previous engines, but I don't know how they compare in real life. I'm getting about 12-13 mpg in my 2010 with straight city driving to and from work. On the highways, the Sport tells me I'm getting about 22 mpg. I have no idea if that's accurate, and I won't know until I run through an entire tank on the interstate.

Even if you get 2 additional mpg from the older engine, you'll only save about $400 a year (assuming you drive 12,000 miles a year). Why not save more money and just buy a Honda?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The reality is in the next 5 year all the vehicles in this class will be redesigned and coming out with models (included the RR Sport estemated 2013) that will be getting 20-40% better fuel economy than the ones sold today. The reslut will be every truck on the road getting under 20MPG will have its resale crushed beause new car buyers will be able to justify the additional cost of a new car vs used on the gas saving alone.

I just ordered a 2010 RRS SC. I bought the extended factory warranty – 7 years or 100K.

Extended warranties are like an insurance policy. You buy piece of mind in case something goes wrong. Most of the time (especially with reliable cars that are inexpensive to repair) they are a waist of money. However, on a vehicle that has less then average reliability and is very costly to repair, it is worth considering.

The greatest value for me is that I only average 12K per year so I will be well within the 100K at the seven year mark and will get full value. If you drive 20K a year then it would be a complete waist of $$ because you would end up only getting an extra 12 months over the 4 years that is included with the vehicle.

Generally, the only extended warranty to consider is a factory warranty that can be honored at any Land Rover dealer and is fully transferable if you sell the car.

Third party warranties (although half the price) are notorious for not processing claims, in many cases the companies will go bankrupt during the four years while you wait for the policy to take effect. The sales guys loves to sell them, the service managers hate dealing with them (additional paper work) which can cause further issues.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sport2010 said:
Get the 2010. The difference between the interiors is night and day. The quoted gas mileage is about the same between the new engines and the previous engines, but I don't know how they compare in real life. I'm getting about 12-13 mpg in my 2010 with straight city driving to and from work. On the highways, the Sport tells me I'm getting about 22 mpg. I have no idea if that's accurate, and I won't know until I run through an entire tank on the interstate.

Even if you get 2 additional mpg from the older engine, you'll only save about $400 a year (assuming you drive 12,000 miles a year). Why not save more money and just buy a Honda?
How many miles are you getting per tank at this point?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies! appreciate it!

I can't get a 2010 because I cant afford to drop 50k's plus right now on that car.

Is there any major changes from the 2006/7 to 2008 models?
If i get a 2008 htan I can walk away with some warranty at least. I also wasn't too aware than the 06 had only 300 hp so not sure how much of a "gitty up" it has so to say for a car that is this heavy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
gas mileage sucks on all range rovers. MY 2010 supercharged gets like 12around town and 14-15 highway but i love every second of it.

To whoever said they get 22mpg's on the highway what speed are you doing? I drove 600 miles last week on the highway and got about 14-15mpg!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, does the SC one generally have more problems or cost more for maintenance because I know cars with turbo's generally have more problems when it comes to hoses, lines, etc. Just wondering if the same goes for RR SC one.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,015 Posts
It's supercharged, not turbocharged. Big difference. There were some teething problems with MY06 S/C - some supercharger auxiliary coolant pumps were mis-wired at the factory and several fuel pumps suffered a premature death. But those wrinkles were ironed out in later model years along with improved ECU and transmission software, so in general the blown engines seem to be just as reliable as their normally aspirated version on the RRS. The Dynamic Response system though (which has nothing to do with the engine but comes stock on the Supercharged and is a very rare option on HSEs) has had frequently reported problems of the annoying variety - clunks and other noises over bumps being the most common complaints. Unfortunately, almost 5 years later it doesn't appear that Land Rover has quite figured them out yet. Plenty of info on the forum.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
umbertob said:
It's supercharged, not turbocharged. Big difference. There were some teething problems with MY06 S/C - some supercharger auxiliary coolant pumps were mis-wired at the factory and several fuel pumps suffered a premature death. But those wrinkles were ironed out in later model years along with improved ECU and transmission software, so in general the blown engines seem to be just as reliable as their normally aspirated version on the RRS. The Dynamic Response system though (which has nothing to do with the engine but comes stock on the Supercharged and is a very rare option on HSEs) has had frequently reported problems of the annoying variety - clunks and other noises over bumps being the most common complaints. Unfortunately, almost 5 years later it doesn't appear that Land Rover has quite figured them out yet. Plenty of info on the forum.
From pasadena huh? near by me.
How you like hte car/mpg?

are those 20's on ur car in your sig? Looks nice man.
So you think an 07' would be the better bet since the 06' wont have warranty left on it anymore -_-

·
Registered
263 Posts
ET7 said:
So you think an 07' would be the better bet since the 06' wont have warranty left on it anymore -_-
The 08's had a few extra bells and whistles available, heated steering wheel, electric folding mirrors etc. In your place I would go 08 if possible, otherwise 07. Warranties are 4 years/80000km (whichever occurs first) I believe. Buy from a dealer and you could negotiate an extended warranty into the deal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
JetPilot said:
Sport2010 said:

How many miles are you getting per tank at this point?
I've only had my ride for a few weeks, and I don't really know. I've filled up twice, and each time, my car was only a little below half full. My car tells me I only get about 240 a tank, but it's relying on the city driving to come up with that.

To the other person who asked about my 22mpg on the highway: I was doing 60mph, and the cruise control was set (that seems to help). I was also relying on the car's mpg estimate, so it may not be accurate. I'll get back to you with better numbers when I get a chance to burn through a tank on the highways.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Perfect. As i wrote in another post. My last two vehicles took over 10K to reach maximum fuel milage. Inprovement was about 20% better than when new.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What you mena to reach max fuel mileage? why would it not reach it from the get go?

Also, heard another person yesturday say the RR has nothing but problems written all over it...this is making my decision harder every day because if I get an 06 or 07 it will have no warranty orjust a year of it left. I heard JEEPs had lots of problems but i know 2 ppl with em and never had a problem. so is this "RR has problems" just overrated?

I mean we have a BMW and "German cars are awesome n all" but so far all 3 windows have broken and needed to be replaced within the 7 yrs of owning it so I think problems are with any car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
ET7 said:
What you mena to reach max fuel mileage? why would it not reach it from the get go?

Also, heard another person yesturday say the RR has nothing but problems written all over it...this is making my decision harder every day because if I get an 06 or 07 it will have no warranty orjust a year of it left. I heard JEEPs had lots of problems but i know 2 ppl with em and never had a problem. so is this "RR has problems" just overrated?
When it comes to the Sport, YES the problems are overrated. It doesn't take much for a product to be branded with some sort of attribute, and then for ensuing products to carry that baggage. The early 00's full size RR's were absolute nightmares, but the RRS has been relatively problem free, yet ignorant people are quick to brand the RRS as unreliable.

You can get a Jeep GC if you want, then you and the other 5,000,000 people with them can comment on how reliable they are. I like the style of the GC, but they're so boring unless you have the SRT8, but with that one be prepared for drivetrain problems. You always have that great plastic dash to look at though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ukraine Range said:
ET7 said:

When it comes to the Sport, YES the problems are overrated. It doesn't take much for a product to be branded with some sort of attribute, and then for ensuing products to carry that baggage. The early 00's full size RR's were absolute nightmares, but the RRS has been relatively problem free, yet ignorant people are quick to brand the RRS as unreliable.

You can get a Jeep GC if you want, then you and the other 5,000,000 people with them can comment on how reliable they are. I like the style of the GC, but they're so boring unless you have the SRT8, but with that one be prepared for drivetrain problems. You always have that great plastic dash to look at though.
whats a GC? and i meant as in "saying it breaks down is overhyped" bc the same was said about the JEEP but they seem ok to me from ppl i konw that have the car.

However, i heard the RRS has leaking problems...is this true? thats what supposedly makes it a very expensive car to maintain in terms of it'll cost you nearly 2k's or 1k' to fix.

Also, if I get hte 06 or 07, its only 300 hp, I drove the 10' HSE sport and that thing pretty much responds extremely well adn flies, is the 06/7 HSE sluggish and the SC is required for movement or the 300 hp one isn't that far behind the 10' HSE?

·
Registered
318 Posts
ET7 said:
Ukraine Range said:
ET7 said:

whats a GC? and i meant as in "saying it breaks down is overhyped" bc the same was said about the JEEP but they seem ok to me from ppl i konw that have the car.

However, i heard the RRS has leaking problems...is this true? thats what supposedly makes it a very expensive car to maintain in terms of it'll cost you nearly 2k's or 1k' to fix.

Also, if I get hte 06 or 07, its only 300 hp, I drove the 10' HSE sport and that thing pretty much responds extremely well adn flies, is the 06/7 HSE sluggish and the SC is required for movement or the 300 hp one isn't that far behind the 10' HSE?
GC = Grand Cherokee. Apples to oranges comparing the two. Everyone has a tail to tell about what's reliable and what's not. In the end, the research you do should lead you to make an educated decision - it did for me. I read, and searched, and read, and asked, and read again before figuring out that the nightmare LR issues didn't apply all that much to the RRS and that made me feel good. I personally think the RRS as a model line has good reliability, but the past models drag it down with magazine reviewers who tend to be cynical.

I don't know what you mean by leaking problem, are you referring to the air suspension? If so, I've not heard at all about issues with them. The past models yes, so much so that companies make coil spring conversion kits for those owners who are sick of replacing $800 bags but love their Range Rover.

I think the 06-09 HSE is underpowered personally. Get the S/C at least, or if you're getting a '10 then the HSE would be fine for you. Just do your homework, check service records, read this board, pick one out and buy it! You won't be disappointed. In a sea of underdesigned BMW's, Merc's and Audi's, the RRS will always be distinguishable.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts