RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello allI had a problem with my ABS system on my RRC 1995 SWB.The brakes were working fine when the car was put in storage 4 years ago, but when i started taking it out again the pedal was behaving.It was pushing back on my foot more than it should, the reaction valve is harsh on this system but it should not pressurise the pedal more than you push it.I bought the "book" from Falconworks on this system, was a nice read but all i learned was that the units rarely fail.One of the rear piston seals failed around the 208 mark.WARNING: I am not liable in any form or way for any damages/incidents/personal injuries that may follow if you attempt to fix the Modulator yourself.Brakes modulators are serious buisness and should not ever be messed with if you dont know what you are doing.I have delivered it to a speciality shop for full dissasembly, the front non tamper plug is not possible to get out with regular mechanic equipment without cracking the housing or melting the seals.The same goes for the big steel sleeves that holds the rear main piston fluid valve and booster pistons.Given the issues i have with the unit it will most likely not be used again. I suspect that a seal on the reaction valve is also bad or the valve seat is worn. Since so much pressure is passing by into the main piston -> my foot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
132 Posts
Are you sure you are looking in the right place for the fault? The problem may be in the pump, motor or accumulator,

Before you pulled the modulator apart, the basic questions are :

Were the "3 amigos" warning lights on?
Could you hear the pump running?
Did you check the fault codes and if so, what faults registered?
Were the fuses and relays under the left hand seat checked?
What made you believe it was the modulator causing the problem?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts