RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, wondering what ways I can get a key fitted to my upper tailgate latch/handle. Truck came with latch but only key I have for it does not fit it.

TIA

·
Registered
366 Posts
You can get a new key and lock combination quite cheaply (possibly from UK). The handle can be removed by removing three screws from the inside and then the lock can be pulled out and replaced with the new assembly.

Quick job, I know since I did this a few weeks ago on my '84.

I think the key is suppose to match the fuel filler cap lock as well. I am not so concerned about people stealing my fuel where I live, but if you are after perfection you would want to research and see if you can get a matching set of locks.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I would remove the handle and take it to a locksmith
They should be able to make a key
Or
Get A used one with a key

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the key is suppose to match the fuel filler cap lock as well. I am not so concerned about people stealing my fuel where I live, but if you are after perfection you would want to research and see if you can get a matching set of locks.
I will try to get it rekeyed, I also have the locking fuel cap but luckily it’s currently open, or maybe broken?

I’ll look into a new lock, I found a few for $140 which is indeed not bad, what did you pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’m pretty sure I have an upper tailgate barrel, plus a couple of keys if you don’t mind a separate key for the tailgate. Unfortunately the donor vehicle from which it came just went this week, otherwise I could have offered up a complete set of locks for you. I have the ignition barrel lock too.

I travel over to US about once a month so could post when I’m there, or if you need it sooner I could post from here. It shouldn’t be too costly to send, and it will save you buying one.

cheers

Steve

·
Registered
366 Posts
I will try to get it rekeyed, I also have the locking fuel cap but luckily it’s currently open, or maybe broken?

I’ll look into a new lock, I found a few for $140 which is indeed not bad, what did you pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well I just bought the barrel and key. Example https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/range-rover/range-rover-classic/391523-lock-barrel-top-tailgate-range-rover-classic.html

£20 ($30) add some other obscures stuff pick some cheap shipping.

I end up buying a lot in the UK. I used to restore Series Land Rovers as a hobby when I lived in the UK. Their prices are much lower (no VAT) but you pay for shipping. Also the selection for pre-87 Range Rover parts is a little thin in the US.
W

1 - 6 of 6 Posts