RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recline is not working on my passenger seat, all of the other functions on the switch are working fine. Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've had good luck rebuilding my seat switches. Carefully pry off the seat shaped switches, then pry off the cover plate and "gasket" on top of the switch. Remove two screws and the switch can be removed from the housing. Once you have the switch out of the car, take out the screw on the back, and CAREFULLY open the switch (tiny ball bearings and springs might go flying everywhere). Clean up all the tiny bits with electrical contact cleaner and/or a small wire brush. Reassemble, and the switch should be good to go for another several years.

My 1991 is still on the original switches and I've rebuilt them maybe 2 or three times since 1996. Good luck!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
Hi,

Are you getting a click from under the seat when you move the switch?

It might be the cable to the motor has a break in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very helpful video if someone needs

Also a helpful step by step post to rebuild the switch
Someone on that forum made the following suggestions as well:
Just repaired my seat adjustment switch using various tips from this page. Took it apart inside a plastic bag,cleaned all contacts with a Dremel (although a small screwdriver would have done the job), assembled everything on a stretched out white towel. Only tip I would add is to keep the pressure on the lid of the switch as you guide it down onto the tabs. Did this in one go and it all works perfectly - in fact better than before.

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
152 Posts
I've had good luck rebuilding my seat switches. Carefully pry off the seat shaped switches, then pry off the cover plate and "gasket" on top of the switch. Remove two screws and the switch can be removed from the housing. Once you have the switch out of the car, take out the screw on the back, and CAREFULLY open the switch (tiny ball bearings and springs might go flying everywhere). Clean up all the tiny bits with electrical contact cleaner and/or a small wire brush. Reassemble, and the switch should be good to go for another several years.

My 1991 is still on the original switches and I've rebuilt them maybe 2 or three times since 1996. Good luck!
Well said, I had only half the functions on my seats working when I bought my car about 5 years ago, disassembled and cleaned the gunk around all the little balls and tabs and everything, and it's all worked perfectly since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts