RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most, my auto dimming rear view mirror is delaminating (see pic) and I'm looking for fairly stock looking replacement options. My search on the forums is not turning up much so I thought I'd post.

Since I have the entire interior out, I started thinking about doing the back up camera that's displayed in the rear view mirror - it's a great thing when hooking up a trailer by yourself. Has anyone bought any of these of eBay/Amazon? Do they look crappy or do you think they'd look good in a Classic?

I'm sure wiring and all can be sorted, just curious to see if anyone else has tried this.
IMG_1891.jpg

·
Registered
256 Posts
I fitted one in a Pals car (Kia) and we found that the mirror kept dropping, (extra weight of the clip-on reversing mirror) fortunately there was an adjustment screw which allowed us to increase the grip on the ball socket... So before you take the plunge make sure that the mirror tension can be adjusted on your mirror. Other than that a worthwhile upgrade.. if your going to be using it for trailer hitching then the best place to mount the camera is above the licence plate... the later L322 that has a camera in the roof spoiler has a 2 foot blind spot, and if you mount the camera by the hitch you get no distance perception.. and it'll end in tears:roll:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
228 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
You'd need to fit a proper dashcam that has the ability to provide live video and then use the reversing lights to trigger the rear view mirror...i.e. camera is on all the time but you only turn the screen on when your going backwards....

The only disadvantage that I can see is the dashcam is internal mounting, and this will cause a blind spot at the rear of the car.. bit like the L322, that has the camera under the rear spoiler, it has a blind spot of about 2 feet / 600mm, so it's no good if you're using it to hitch a trailer and not much better for close maneuvering either:shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts