Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been intending to do this for at least six years and I'm finally getting around to doing it. More accurately, my local shop is getting around to doing it. They procured a new rear crossmember (see below on top of Uline bin) from YRM Metal Solutions and it looks great. They're also replacing the loadspace floorpan and two inside panels.

Leftside crossmember
Rightside crossmember
Left inside panel rot
Rightside floorpan seam rot

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
553 Posts
Looks like quite the job! YRM Metal has great stuff, they had all the weld-on brackets needed to convert my pre-sway bar rangie to sway bars, it's awesome that they make so many components for classics.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've never heard of them, but I'll definitely look at their website now. I had no idea the rear crossmember was being reproduced, mine has some rot on the exhaust side but not dearly so bad as yours, but it still concerns me. Thanks for the posting, let us know ow it goes.

Sorry, what year is your rig? Not a '93, mine is the same color, a LWB, and I have the white wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never heard of them, but I'll definitely look at their website now. I had no idea the rear crossmember was being reproduced, mine has some rot on the exhaust side but not dearly so bad as yours, but it still concerns me. Thanks for the posting, let us know ow it goes.

Sorry, what year is your rig? Not a '93, mine is the same color, a LWB, and I have the white wheels.
Mine is a '95 RRC SWB, born in Jan of 1995. I also had a '95 RRC LWB, but that was born in 1994. ISTR, only the SWBs were made in 1995, but the 1995MY was a transition year, as the P38 debuted in 1995, so there were two Range Rover models offered, and two wheelbases for the RRC. At least that was the case in NA. In the ROW, the softdash was a 1994MY.

There are several threads on the RRC rear crossmember replacement. Don't be fooled, the rear crossmember may appear to be solid, but these rot from the inside out. If you press the crossmember with your finger and it's mushy, you have rot. I discovered this on mine about a decade ago, but I dragged my feet on making the replacement project a priority. In the past year, lowering the liftgate made me nervous as the rot was more pronounced and the hinges were feeling less than solid. I could procrastinate no more...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Enjoying this thread. May I ask who/where is doing the work? I am on the hunt for a similarly-capable shop.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enjoying this thread. May I ask who/where is doing the work? I am on the hunt for a similarly-capable shop.
It’s a sub to Independent in N. Bethesda, MD. https://www.indlr.com
The body shop is actually out in Beltsville.

Still waiting for load space floor pan to arrive from across the pond...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some progress pics...

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Some pics closer to the end...

It's almost a shame to cover this with carpeting, knowing what it was like for more than a decade...

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
553 Posts
Are you considering adding some sound/vibration deadening before the carpeting, since it's all already out? I added dynamat through the whole load bay (sides too) and it did a good job of dampening road noise. I'm planning to add some to the doors and roof too.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you considering adding some sound/vibration deadening before the carpeting, since it's all already out? I added dynamat through the whole load bay (sides too) and it did a good job of dampening road noise. I'm planning to add some to the doors and roof too.
That's the plan, especially since the OEM padding is a sponge. I'm hoping the Dynamat will be less sponge-like, but I really shouldn't be expecting any moisture now that all the floor panels have been replaced and the wheel well rust mitigated. But then again, R.U.S.T. does stand for Rover's Unreliable Steel Treatment...

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the loadspace has been buttoned up and back to a solid condition. I can actually stand or sit on the tailgate without fear of it snapping off. Pandora still needs a lot of work, mostly cosmetic, but the tailgate lettering is really annoying with two letters missing. I thought I found a source at Famous Four, but they don't have the thicker decals for the softdash. I may have to engage a local sign-maker.

I am ok with not repairing the ripped vinyl strip between the tailgate and loadspace. I plan on taking care of that when I do the frame-off resto, hopefully, that won't need to start for a few more years.

Really happy with the new headliner. That sag in the rear was really annoying. Now I just need to replace the central locking module, rebuild the seat ECU, replace the HK speaker grill on the front passenger side, repair the center console bezel that's disintegrating, reskin the skateboard, etc...Never ending RRC projects...

Reactions: LanceL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks great!

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Both my interior lenses are yellowed, one had a hole melted through by the lamp. About five years ago, I had ordered a new lens but never bothered to put it in, as I had planned on addressing the sagging headliner. So the replacement sat in a bin in storage. I finally found it, but when I opened the package, I discovered it was cracked on the side. Ah Sh*tpart...I guess it's ventilation?

Another thing that's been long neglected, cleaning and conditioning the Connolly leather. I actually have some official LR leather cleaner and conditioner from over fifteen years ago, so I cleaned and 'greased' up the Connolly...

No more sagging headliner...

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got around to changing the interior bulbs to LEDs, new lens from AllMakes. Much brighter and less likely to melt the lens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts