Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys sometimes i wonder with so many classics getting parted out and lots of them going to junk because of rust
were do u see the future of classic range rover? i think in a few years it will be hard to find a good clean rover and the ones in good condition will be more expensive than now

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yep, most likely. You'll always find cheaper ones, but the good ones will become more expensive.

I recall seeing on here a few months ago someone selling a mint Classic on ebay for around 15K.....

·
Registered
345 Posts
That guy on E bay from North Carolina has the highest prices I've seen in a while. He was selling a 93 LWB mosswood color,same as my nice classic except mine has 106,000 mi, and was calling it "museum quality" , and trying to get $10,000. He might have gotten that much, I didnt follow up. To me this is good news and bad news. I would never sell mine, but I would like it even more if it was worth as much as a 91 Jeep Grand Cherokee . I've seen these go for $15-$20,000. These and the Toyota FJ60 were all in the same class , but the Classic hasnt had collecter car pricing yet. On the other hand I love findind these cars for under a $1000.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah I saw that auction. I believe those eBay auctions are bid up by friends/cohorts of the seller, to give some validity to the *ridiculously high* prices they are trying to get folks to pay for what is essentially a $3k vehicle, max, according to KBB. They set the reserve price / buy it now price so high, then they get friends to bid up the price near that point, in an effort to scam some unsuspecting fool into actually paying. I mean, come on, I was haggling with the seller of mine for weeks because I thought $2.8k was too high, and ended up paying much less than that. How can one rationalize paying over $10k more than the KBB price of a vehicle?

Who in their right mind would pay so much? The water pump or heater core, for example, will blow on a "museum quality" vehicle just the same as it will on a beater... You're going to have to maintain any vehicle, period. Go find a good deal and don't buy the hype these scam artists are selling.

That said, I do agree as time goes on a good specimen will become more and more rare, hence more valuable. That is not the reason I maintain my vehicle, though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You know what I think keeps the price so low (for now) on the RRC? Lack of a Bosch, or Denso, or anything other than Lucas, electrical system. No one I know can believe that I bought a 24 year old English vehicle for my daily driver, and that is why. Everything else about this truck is far better than anything in its class.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I dont know what the dealers deal is on ebay but I payed $5500 for my 93 LWB 7 years ago with 47,000 mi. original owner,dealer maintained,full service record,original window sticker. Since owning I have invested a ton in maintenance,this car has been expensive, but is still nicer than the "museum quality" car, and to me is worth $10,000 . On the other hand my $500 92 farm car which I use for maint. work hasn't given me a major problem in a year of daily abuse. Go figure ! The thing with Rovers is they have a mystique which creats fear of maintenance.Good news for buyers with parts cars, bad news for sellers.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Prices are always whatever an individual is willing to pay. My 95LWB sold for a bit over $20k just under 2 years ago. Now in all fairness it was pretty much one of a kind, only 30+K miles and was absolutely perfect. Yes, even the cruise control worked. :mrgreen: It had been built for a family member and had walnut & leather door panels, tray tables, lambskin carpets and leather headliner. So what may sell for $5K one day might sell for $8k the next with a different buyer.

·
Premium Member
2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE
1,287 Posts
They are worthless. So Ill do you guys a favor. I will buy yours for $500. Its a good pitty deal! :D

I think prices are going to rise. When we come out of this slump and the collector car market starts cooking again I wouldnt be surprised to see prices doubling at least. With so many of them scrapped and parted the few ones left will be hunted by collectors. P38 is going the same way. Series LR's were getting crazy money 3 years ago, now they are dirt cheap.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know we're going to want another one in the future, I'm trying to convince the wife to just bless my buying it now while the prices are depressed! In all fairness, there aren't many low mileage classics available, so it stands to reason that basic supply and demand comes into play.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think the low priced ones have small issues that uninformed people don't want to pay to fix. I just bought one for $750. It was a Great Divide Edition and the owner new it was "rare" and was asking $1500. I lowballed him because he knew the ABS was shot and the engine wasn't idling at all. He new a new ABS pump would be $1000 and would cost $2000 to bring it to the dealer to see why it wasn't idling right. So he took the $750 and ran.

I cleaned the flame trap and its vacuum hoses in kerosene because they were clogged and got a working ABS pump from drillbit for $200. the truck is driving and stopping like brand new.

All depends on the current owner really.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what's funny is that many people don't know that older defenders are the same as RRC they are the low end model of the land rover line , as a work truck .

if they new that range rover can do the same what they have the imagination defender does in south America or Africa the prices would be higher.

i have one 1990 model Ardennes green rover in pristine cond original paint California car, i am not going to sale that any less than 12k for now, next year more

·
Registered
66 Posts
You are so right. You pay about 25k more for a truck with less inside. Lets call it the Land Rover Superleggera. The engine, tranny, driveline, axles, brakes, hubs and everything below the belt is a Defender... or even a Disco I too. But man... the inside is so much nicer in a Range. My Defender is so loud. but then again it is a Defender and I do get about 100 times more panties thrown at me than the Rangie!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ini88 said:
You are so right. You pay about 25k more for a truck with less inside. Lets call it the Land Rover Superleggera. The engine, tranny, driveline, axles, brakes, hubs and everything below the belt is a Defender... or even a Disco I too. But man... the inside is so much nicer in a Range. My Defender is so loud. but then again it is a Defender and I do get about 100 times more panties thrown at me than the Rangie!

haha i am sure ppl love the defender, i want to get a 110 but i really cant process in my brain why should i pay so much for 110 that u can get the same in a classic range rover

however i have to say defender is one of the nicest looking trucks

·
Premium Member
2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE
1,287 Posts
I would love a 110. But not a $60k one. The same truck in South Africa is $2500 for a decent used one. Where did the extra $57,500 come from?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
I would love a 110. But not a $60k one. The same truck in South Africa is $2500 for a decent used one. Where did the extra $57,500 come from?
Being "rare" but thats not so much the case now as 83/84/85 and soon 86s start coming into the country. I love the NAS 110, but for 60k its way too much. I could get a nice alpine white RRC and Disco and still save 50k. They are the same wheelbase with less inside.

I am waiting for a nice 110 import with a 300tdi to round out my collection.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Defenders fetch solid (but not 60k) money over here as they represent a decent useable 4x4 that doesn't have all the luxury stuff to go wrong that the equivalent aged Range Rover or Discovery does.
I think rarity and poser value have pushed up prices in the US.

As for Classics (and all other standard original Rovers) prices are rising slowly but will rise faster when the economy picks up.
RR Classics are already in classic car territory, p38s will be in about 3-5 years time.

There's a classic car dealer in central London who has a very, very nice address and a showroom full of Bentleys. He wrote an article for The Times' "How to spend it" section saying that the Range Rover CSK was the next big thing and a good one would be worth £30k!
Guess what he had in his showroom.
He sold it too...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Was just on Auto Trader and saw a classic for $5500 thats been listed there for 6 months. The thing that gets me are Defender prices. $28,000 for a 94, ****! These have the same frame,drive train,etc. without the nice stereo and interior.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
classicjack said:
Was just on Auto Trader and saw a classic for $5500 thats been listed there for 6 months. The thing that gets me are Defender prices. $28,000 for a 94, ****! These have the same frame,drive train,etc. without the nice stereo and interior.

may be thats why even in los angeles we dont see many defenders. i guess ppl know its not worth it to pay 30k for 94 defender.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was shocked a few months back when I was looking at the Land Rover website, and for fun checking the different countries like South Africa and Argentina -- only to find what has already been stated here: The Defender is the "bottom of the line" -- a utility vehicle with a base price less than the other models. People with money either don't know or just don't care because of the relative rarity.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.