RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on an overhaul of the hubs/swivel balls for my 1990 RRC. I have the front passenger side stripped down to the axle, and now I have a question on what i see inside the axle.

IMG_0035.jpg

There is clearly some sort of "seal" inside the lip of the axle (purple arrow), and this seal doesn't show up on any parts diagrams that i can find. I would just ignore it and move on, but there appears to be some sort of metal "shard" (green circle) coming out of the "seal" . I'm wondering if this is part of the metal retainer for the seal or something, but when i try to pull on the metal shard it wiggles around but won't come out.

When i search around the interwebs for inner axle seal or similar things, i come up with P38 and Disco results that look like a different arrangement, but nothing for an RRC.

Can anybody shed any light on this seal? I'm tempted to just cross my fingers and ignore it - hopefully an axle halfshaft rotating would win the battle against the aforementioned "shard". Also, i'm curious that even if this was an available part, how the heck would one replace it? Remove the diff and push it down the axle to bottom out against the lip? Yikes. But anyways, I figured i would at least ask the question from the pros on here before i turn a blind eye.

Thanks.

-Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What ever it is you need to pull it out, there is no seal there, only seal is in the ball. never seen anything like it.
Well i was able to pull out most of the metal shards that were sticking out of it, but one was really embedded in there and i couldnt reach it with my needle nose pliers. It has me wondering what that metal came from..........:(

I tried some light prying on the "seal" and it wouldn't budge. I put a punch on it and gave it a few hammer whacks and it appears to be made of vibranium or something. No damage to the "seal" and wouldn't budge.

I did some googling for RRC axles to find pictures (no dice), and then tried Defender axles. Well, i came across some axle rebuild for a defender, and it looks like i can just make out a couple ribs inside the axle flange that look similar to mine.

I'm going to call this good. Thanks for the insight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts