RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm looking for some useful advice with regards to a chassis conversion. I am from Ireland, the Republic, and I have been thinking about starting a new project. Long story short, I'd like to install a 94' V8 petrol body onto a 1970's 2 door RRC chassis. I understand that there are just 12 bolts in the removal of the body, apart from obvious things like steering etc. The big question many of you might be asking is am I genuine or do I just want to chop a good RRC. In Ireland, a vehicle is registered exclusively by its chassis, which means if a 70's chassis were installed under a 90's body, then the registration number on the bumper would be 1970's. The advantage to this is a savings of €1750 per annum. There are many vehicles out there simply swapping the number plates, which is clearly illegal. I want to stay on the legal road, no pun intended, and have peace of mind.
Long story short, any and all advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
It will basically switch straight over. The only real issue will be the electrics. The radiator will need a slight mod as the 94 is a different size and the bottom of it mounts to the chassis, whereas the bottom of the 76 mounts to the body. It is simply a matter of using the 94 radiator and drilling two holes in the chassis. It will also depend on what transmission you will be using. The 76 4 speed manual gear shift comes up where the radio is on the 94. The other issues are with the handbrake on the 76 being mounted to the transmission and where the high low range lever and diff lock switch are.

Have a look here http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f8/rangie-ute-pickup-project-47802/ where I have fitted various parts from my 93 into a 76.

Another issue is if you are keeping the EFI motor from the 94, you will need to change over the fuel tank that requires different mounts, etc.

Good luck

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Just one more thought for you. The chassis number is only hand stamped on the chassis of the 76. Just find some metal stamps and put your 76 chassis number onto the 94 chassis. Just make sure that you grind of the 94 chassis number that is in a different location to that on the 76.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information P76Rangie. I'll be sure to check your link. Also, thank you for the advice with the chassis number swap, however, I'm a gluten for punishment so I think I will still push on with the actual conversion.

Many thanks,

Alan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts