RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening to all. New to Forum and I wanted to introduce myself.

Owned a lot of Benz cars through the years, especially AMG and frankly looking for a change. Currently own an AMG GT and love it, but want a bigger SUV to compliment my driving experience.

New to any Rover experiences and have been reading a lot of threads here. Unfortunately, very little posts on RR SVR, which probably speaks volumes as to those who are loving the vehicle. But love the way this model gets thru the twistys flat as hell with that incredible V8 sound, as I want another drivers car.

The 2018 tweeks seem to have me interested, as the interior and screen tech are top notch. Waiting for a model to arrive so I can test, but looking for any must haves or advice on a new buy. Dealer advice would be appreciated as well. Thx!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
297 Posts
There are only 3 options I didn’t get on my 2018 SVR

Auto park
Meridian sound (the upgraded one)
Carbon Fiber in any form (felt it wasn’t worth the price of options)

I don’t have as many issues with the screens, but it does drive me crazy when the cameras randomly don’t work.

Truthfully, there’s not another performance SUV that I would seriously consider.

I love that I can have a big car for the family that acts like a sports car (many other options that are better performance than the SVR)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you want another drivers car, the new Porsche Cayenne Turbo is a better bet. It handles better and is quicker- especially in the twistys.

But it doesn't sound or look as good, looks too similar to the base Cayenne as well. I have an SVR on order and selected all the carbon fiber options because I feel that's what really separates it from your base Range Rover Sport (especially the hood/bonnet option). If you want a car that is a balance between looks, sound, performance and luxury, the SVR is for you. And it's probably the best SUV you can buy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
+1 on the carbon fiber options. Those are exclusive to the SVR, which I personally like. I go for the SVR-specific colors (Estoril Blue, in my case) for the same reason.

Also +1 on not needing the highest stereo. I have it and don’t think it was worth the extra money.

The V8 sound on the ‘18 is more subtle than in the first incarnation but it’s still awesome.

PS my current RRS SVR is the third one I’ve owned. Love ‘em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don’t have as many issues with the screens, but it does drive me crazy when the cameras randomly don’t work.
We've had our 2018 SVR for a few weeks and also see that the camera or nav screens randomly don't work. I hope it's just a software issue they eventually figure out... :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
We've had our 2018 SVR for a few weeks and also see that the camera or nav screens randomly don't work. I hope it's just a software issue they eventually figure out... :)
Even with the latest software, it still happens...although I've yet to see it get "permanently" stuck. It usually only happens if I switch in and out of reverse quickly, and it seems to "crash".

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been a Benz AMG guy for the past 10 years myself. I got my 2018 SVR on July 11th and LOVE it. What everyone said above is true. JLR is changing to be a bit of a "tech company" and they are having some teething issues, just as Tesla and many others are having. That being said the easiest thing to solve most of the tech issues is that when you start the car just sit there and count to 10 or 15 before putting it in gear or touching any of the controls. If you do that, it gives the car and the systems time to sync up (or whatever it needs to do) and you have very few issues. If you jump right in and start it and start pushing all the buttons and take off......that seems to be when min gets a little crazy on me.

Just my 2 cents but I absolutely love the vehicle and now that I understand the issues and how to minimize them, they don't bother me anymore. I would not trade it for any other car.....other then another SVR :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you want another drivers car, the new Porsche Cayenne Turbo is a better bet. It handles better and is quicker- especially in the twistys.

But it doesn't sound or look as good, looks too similar to the base Cayenne as well. I have an SVR on order and selected all the carbon fiber options because I feel that's what really separates it from your base Range Rover Sport (especially the hood/bonnet option). If you want a car that is a balance between looks, sound, performance and luxury, the SVR is for you. And it's probably the best SUV you can buy.
Totally agree with your train of thought here. I've had my SVR for 3 months now. I think people who really like having bragging rights about the fastest 0-60 or quarter mile times should get those performance SUV's -- Cayenne, X5M, etc. But there is more to these than 0-60. For me personally, a Cayenne is like a big bloated sports car with SOME utility and ride height to go along with all that great performance. The Sport SVR feels more like a true SUV with a better combination of qualities as you clearly stated. Luxury, performance, design. And of course design is all personal and subjective but I love the more understated and tasteful looks of the SVR. Sure the carbon fiber bonnet is not understated but it's the loudest design element and with the large intakes etc it strikes a great balance between aggressive and classic Land Rover. The interior is just fantastic and the shapes and materials work together brilliantly. Somehow it's elegant and luxurious but also very sporty. Hard to pull off but they did. (I have Cirrus/Ebony btw) I went for carbon fiber exterior but none on the interior and grand black veneer instead which I've always loved. 3rd time with it now.

And driving it is amazing. One thing I love is the different personalities possible with the combination of settings. Sometimes if I'm going to be in the city with a lot of traffic and bumpy roads I'll put it in Auto terrain mode and D and I imagine it's more like an Autobiography but with the deep rumble of exhaust. Then Dynamic, Sport and paddle shifting you can hold the RPM's just right and get lots of crackles and pops and it's amazing. With configurable dynamics I'll leave all the dynamic settings as is except putting the suspension in normal if I want the performance but on some rough streets. Then back to dynamic suspension as I get on the highway. I like that it's sort of stealthy until I mash the gas pedal and I'm sure there is some surprise from the drivers around me -- either the sound or how fast I pull away. It's a total beast.

The Cayenne maybe has all those settings too I don't know, but I know the execution in the SVR is excellent. My only complaint so far is some minor camera issues. But again, my opinion is that it's the perfect every day vehicle and I hope they make another version with the next generation Sport.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a SVR without the exterior carbon package and are experiencing paint bubbles where the hood scoops fit into the painted hood (Looks to me as if the scoops are scraping into the paint)

LR claims it is a known design defect and I am waiting on newly designed scoops that will cover the paint defect. LR has since shipped the wrong scoops twice.

Any insight will be appreciated.

I am experiencing the same issues with cameras, radio and navigation software. Still love my SVR!

·
Registered
112 Posts
On my 2nd SVR. You cant compare those truck looking bodys on those cars frames. This is a real truck, with transfer case, low range, able to tow up to 7500lbs. Others tow 3500lbs, does that sound like a truck? I put my 2017 on the quarter mile and it went 12.7 first pass. I then drove off track to there scale and with me in it was 5700lbs. So when comparing trucks also look at the weights. God forbid you have an accident you know your are in a truck and not a car. I haven't bought the 2018 to the track yet but it does have another 25hp over the 2017. This truck will dominate all others you mentioned in snow offroad and deep water. With a press of a button it has massive clearance. So overall it does everything.
Yes there are buggy electronics and software updates as there trying to resolve, but mechanically its solid and reliable to drive anywhere.
It also stands out in a crowd as you don't see them. Were i live everybody has a AMG, M series and Porsches, so its nice having something different.
The sound is intoxicating and amazes me its stock. Ive bought a lot of aftermarket exhausts and its nice you don't need one. Also having control to push a button and have it go quiet is awesome.
If you test drive one look at rim size on the truck if it has 21 on it it will not handle the same as the 22s. Nothing wrong with the 21 but ride and look will be very different and you coming from a AMG will want the 22s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the responses here and I agree with most. The Cayenne turbo is probably sharper in twisties (325s on rear), and looks like there is a significant bump in torque. But from what I see, Rover tweaked that suspension to eliminate the dive issues (on a heavy car that I’m alance could put you in the weeds) and made turn in neutral and centric, which is what I’m looking for on street.

The looks on front of that Cayenne is too feminine and wasn’t thought out. They didn’t want to lose wifey approval and it indeed looks like every other Cayenne. I had never built out a Porsche and man, I’ve never seen such ridiculous pricing. 3k for a sport exhaust, 6 k for suspension must haves? No bueno.

Looking at a build in Corris, with all the trick CF and really luv that exposed bonnet. And yes love all the muscle car looks and sounds that can be had in an SUV. Hopefully here November 2. Hopefully posting pics next.

Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of your responses.

I’m sure the Cayenne is sharper around a track. (325s on rear) I’m just looking for quick turn in and low roll on street. But I love the SVR muscle car looks and sound in a polished package. Cayenne styling in front end is too feminine and lackluster. They took no chances here IMO, so as not to lose the wifey on the buying decision.

Truck coming is Corris/ black with all the carbon, including the exposed hood. First time I’ve ever thought it all looked good. It does make the truck standout indeed.

Tai4d2, can you confirm that suspension mods on new truck are in fact different than 15-17 ? If so how ?

thx again all. Maybe next time I’ll be posting pics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of your insight.

Truck comes in first week of November. I’ll post impressions.

Tai4d2, Can you comment on the generational difference in suspensions on your three SVR’s?

thx.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Truck will be here first week of November, full of carbon fiber. :mrgreen: Looking forward to driving the AWD muscle car.

Anyone here who can comment on the suspension improvements over the last couple of years would be appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Truck will be here first week of November, full of carbon fiber. :mrgreen: Looking forward to driving the AWD muscle car.

Anyone here who can comment on the suspension improvements over the last couple of years would be appreciated.
This is my first SVR so I can't compare to the other years but in dynamic mode and sport mode I think its about as solid as a 6,000 pound vehicle can be. When you slam the brakes or gas it will definitely dive a squat some but from everything I have read the dive/squat issues are less then then 2016/2017's. Maybe someone who has owned both can add a little more color.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have a 2016. Very few issues and I have been very happy with the car. The Estoril blue gets more compliments than any car I've ever owned and I absolutely LOVE getting her washed and shiny. If I were to make a list of the 5 cars I would pick out if I had unlimited money, my SVR would still be on that list. I'm upgrading to Carbon Ceramic brakes this Friday so I'm excited about that too. I'll post some reviews.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
46 Posts
I have a 2016. Very few issues and I have been very happy with the car. The Estoril blue gets more compliments than any car I've ever owned and I absolutely LOVE getting her washed and shiny. If I were to make a list of the 5 cars I would pick out if I had unlimited money, my SVR would still be on that list. I'm upgrading to Carbon Ceramic brakes this Friday so I'm excited about that too. I'll post some reviews.
Lol I've never heard of anyone swapping ceramics on these trucks. I'm assuming you're getting the ones they use on the F-type? Looking forward to the review!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts