RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I backed into my garage to load bicycles via the tailgate. Long story short, I accidentally had used the garage door to close the tailgate since I moved the car forward! Bam goes the sound and I feel like a big idiot. Checked the damage and the rear wipe got the full brunt of the force. Instead of having contact with the rear windshield glass by default, i.e. 9 o'clock position, it now is at 8 o'clock.

Checked rear wiper operation and of course it is dead and doesn't swipe though I do hear a click when I switch it on (pulling lever towards me). I figured I must have stripped the rear wiper arm from the shaft. Removed the rear wiper arm and checked the operation of the said shaft. I still hear the switch-click but the said shaft doesn't provide an indication of any movement. I now have purchased a new rear wiper arm replacement and a new nut to install. However upon installation, the tip of the new nut can't get past the threaded portion of the shaft when attempting to tighten clockwise it seems so I removed the wiper arm and tried to re-tighten the bolt to see if I can get past the threaded tip of the shaft and noticed that by applying some force, the rear-wiper threaded shaft would go with my clockwise motion. As if I have to have another wrench on the opposing side of the threaded shaft to successfully tighten it.

With that said is my rear wiper motor shot? gear may be stripped? Is it serviceable or a new motor is in order?

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Sounds like the motor will need to be replaced. I have not seen any lesser repairs available for it, PN for the motor is DLB500014. Pretty simple replacement, but still going to set you back ~ $200 or so for the part.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Providing an update to the thread. image.jpg
Flywheel was cracked and I couldn't bring myself to cough up 250 dollars for a replacement motor.

Bought a used LR3 rear wiper motor for internal swap in eBay for 60 shipped. The only difference was the spindle arm height.

image.jpg

Swapped plastic internals. Flywheels and arm-guide.

image.jpg

Now I have a spare motor just incase it goes bonkers.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Very nice. Way to save some green.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
:clap: Nice job bizdack...and who says RR's are expensive to fix?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Gents! Also I need to disclose that it took me 4 surgeries on the original rear wiper motor. First, to study and determine the damage. Second, was when the LR3 donor motor arrived for the actual transplant. Filled with over excitement of feeling like winning the lottery in replacing the internals at a very reasonable cost , I amateurishly put everything together not worrying about the flywheel positioning and arm/gear meshing. Suffice to say wiper movement was wrong. Third try, I repositioned the arm/gear mesh position as per the first picture as a guide and failed still. Wiper was doing one long swipe and no return swipe at all! I honestly felt nervous at this point. Fourth try, I realized after looking in google for the LR3 wiper that it is the exact opposite position from the RRS.

I then studied the flywheel and noticed that they may be the same but the contact points are different. Here is a pic I neglected to upload. On the bottom is the RRS and the top is the LR3 flywheel. Notice the contact points are different.

image.jpg

Anyway, I didn't worry yet about the contact point first until I flipped the flywheel and noticed that the pivot hole for the spindle arm is different for both and that they were both opposites (due to start position perhaps?). These pivot holes are marked by a blueish tint I guess to aid during assembly.

So, with the original pic I had of the damaged flywheel, I simply followed that and defied the blue tint mark from the LR3 replacment flywheel so I was somehow confident that I had gotten the 'last known working position'. I could take that thing apart with a blind fold and yes, it was both fun and worth the 60 bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts