RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and I have some problems getting my P38A -96 to start up. I did a search on the forums but I still haven’t really found the answer.

This is the situation:
*Start engine is not running
*Jump start does not work
*The self diagnostic when turning key to the second step seams to work as usual and none of the icons in the information field on the dashboard are shining
*Fuel pump is working (the car didn't ignite the first time and then gave up after few seconds)
*Battery is fine
*All fuses are fine
*I can hear a lot of relays is working

I had some problem last winter (cold wheatear) similar to this but at that time I could just wait some 10 - 30 seconds and then would the engine crank and ignite as usual. Haven’t had problems during the whole summer.
I also tried to unlock the engine block (English term?!) by turning the key in the right combination (using security code) in the door, but it didn't help me.

All help is greatly appreciated

Thanks for a great forum
Robert Bergwall

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
So is the engine turning over then?
Have you physically checked for a spark?
Fuel pressure good at the fuel rail?

Martin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Martin,
*The engine does not turn over (but the pistons are not stuck)
*No spark
*Dont know about fuel pressure, I will check that

*Forgot to say that the oil is fine and at normal level

Thanks
Robert

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
If it isn't turning over, there will be no spark, so that's another story right there.
Is the starter solenoid clicking when you try to start it?
Checked both positive and negative connections to the starter and everywhere else?

Martin

·
Registered
170 Posts
My '96 4.0 has the same symptoms when it gets cold. its battery related. I think i need to clean my terminals/cables. whenever this happens, i pop the hood and dont even clean the terminals, but just give them a tap with the maglite i keep in the car. that loosens it up enough or whatever and the connection is fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts