RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the recent bad weather around the east coast and my balding tires, I decided to try something different with the Rover. For those of you that have seen past posts and images of my 2002 Range Rover, this is totally different approach.

I have ditched the large wheels for the winter months in favor of some beefy off-road capable tires for some casual fun.

I managed to get a really great deal on a set of Discovery II rims. My original plan was to try to paint them myself. After purchasing all the supplies and several attempts, it just looked bad. For the life of me I could not get the paint to lay down smoothly and evenly. After a couple days of sanding and frustration, I ditched the plan.

So I sent the rims off to Prince Wheels in Charlotte. They media blasted the rims. Fixed up all the imperfections and powder coated the rims. The color is a 20% flat black. I got a set of Black and Silver supercharged center caps and had those painted to match. They did an absolutely fantastic job. I highly recommend them for those in the Carolinas region.

The tires are BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain KM2 in 255/70/16.

They have less than 20 miles on them, so I don't have much to report on. I would like to get some spacers so that the rims sit out a little further - just enough to line up with the body better. So far no rubbing or issues.

More pictures coming soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
494 Posts
out of curiosity, were you motivated by the coverage of this process in the recent peterson's 4 wheel and off road magazine? they did a write up on media blasting and black powder coating i found fascinating. it was on resurrecting your stock wheels. very nice outcome on yours!

·
Registered
401 Posts
DARKKNEEEESSSSS!!!!

Very nice. Is that metalized window film? I really want to know how these are in the snow

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
rhino_ed said:
DARKKNEEEESSSSS!!!!

Very nice. Is that metalized window film? I really want to know how these are in the snow
Mud tires suck donkey balls in the snow. Getting them siped helps, but they still eat manatee dung.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Cool bananas.

I like the look of those summer rims as well ? I believe the maximum tyre width of 265/70R16 would fill out the guards nicely !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

G

·
0 Posts
Absolutely sick looking. I am very interested how those new BFG's compare to the originals, as they look more street friendly. If you get it in the rough stuff report back.

·
Registered
238 Posts
OMG, you have THE rims I've been curious about forever!!!
More pics of your silver wheels in the picture. What style are they? How big?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The tires handle very well on the road. I was expecting them to be quite noisy and give me a decent howl at speed. However, even at highway speed (~70 mph) the sound is minimal and barely noticeable. I think this was a new selling point on the KM2 version over the old KM model. I also really like the sidewall tread pattern - it is very military-esque.

I have heard the mud-terrain tires aren't that great in the snow but I think anything will be better than the low profile summer tires I have been using.

I looked into the 265 section width as it probably would have filled out better but the availability in tire sizes was much smaller. I couldn't find as many of the aggressive looking M/T and mud-terrain tires in 265/70/16. And I don't think I could have fit a larger aspect ratio like a 75 series in my wheel wells without spacers in the EAS.

I plan on buying some CNC 50mm spacers to bring the wheels out a little further. Though this will wait as I was unaware how expensive those suckers are.

I think the images make the tint look metallic. The window tint is Suntec High Performance film. There is double 15% on all the windows, 55% on the front windscreen, with a 15% banner at the top. The sides meter at around 5-6%. I have a medical exemption for UV sensitivity so I can have the windows pretty much as dark as I want. The set-up is extremely illegal otherwise and they have been cracking down in NC on the window tint laws. 5-10 years ago, you could get away with limo tint on all the windows and 20 bucks in the glovebox would get you passed at any inspection station - not the case anymore :naughty: .

The large wheels are Redbourne Duke's in hyper silver with a mirrored lip. They are 20" by 9.5". I use a 275/40/20 tire with the set-up - the same wheel configuration as the Range Rover Sport.

·
Registered
401 Posts
one set for on road one for off. Very well done. Gotta say though, 50mm spacers are huge. Looks like you have it all under control though.

I have a medical exemption for UV sensitivity so I can have the windows pretty much as dark as I want.
Some disadvantages can be beneficial. :thumb:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woops - I meant to say 25mm spacers. Yes, 50mm would be huge. I think 25mm would be roughly equivalent to an inch. That should bring the wheels out flush with the fender lines.

Only thing is they are about $100 USD per pair - seems awfuly steep, unless I am looking in the wrong place.

·
Registered
401 Posts
there ya go. Yea a inch should do it. I'm thinking mine might need some spacers too, but I still don't want to rub the inner wheel well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The cost is significant if you are a DIY kind of person.

Had I not gotten such a steal on the rims I would not have invested so much money. I managed to pick those rims up off a 2002 Discovery II turned in for that clunkers program - all 4 wheels for a hundred bucks. The rims had no curb rash, only extremely minor surface imperfections.

The professional route seemed to make more sense for the results I wanted and given what I paid for the wheels it didn't seem that outrageous to fork over for the powder finish.

Total cost:

New set of Black/Silver Supercharged Emblems (4x eBay) -- $30
Discovery Series II 5-Spoke Alloys (4x) -- $100
95-02 Range Rover Lugs (20x Used ) -- $85 (Sold off my old set when I switched over to 20" wheelset :doh: )
Powder Coat Service (Per Wheel Cost) -- $125

The cost of the service included cleaning all the rims, media blasting all the rims, fixing any imperfections, powder coating the rims, and painting the caps to match.

So the total cost was a little over $700 not including tires.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That picture is just so absolutely breathtaking!!!! Looks like a toy-car....... very well made - and I love the wheels!!!! Very nice rig!!!!! Now you have to show us your GCAT!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts