RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owners of the site, please listen...
IF I wanted to get emails to boost your Fakebook numbers, I would, and indeed did, read it here in the forums. I do NOT however appreciate getting email asking me to like you on Fakebook so I could win a luxury vacation.:naughty:
Has it come to this? I thought those tactics went out in the 90's myself....."Win a dream getaway", ring a bell to anyone else?
The email got sent to spam, where it belongs IMHO.
Should I choose to get your junk mail, I will sign up for it. Otherwise, give it a rest already. I know I can go to the settings page and uncheck the box etc, but then that makes all emails from mods etc go too, and that isn't cool in my book.
I tell you now though, I DO NOT give you permission to sell my email addy etc, as if it really makes a difference...
Shame, as this site was spam free before, as well as other downfalls that have happened since the new ownership.

Martin

·
Registered
361 Posts
I can´t seem to find anything here regarding OUR rights on the issue of privacy - our contact info etc. Maybe the new owners have already shared it with others as we write or maybe it is part of some others agreements that they have.

A couple of years ago I had to close an email address after a similar situation resulted in an increase in junk mail. I decide what I get - NOT what other peoples contractual agreements might be.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Well at this juncture our account rep with the new owners, Cayne, is claiming this was not spam but merely a newsletter which "offered a chance for a member in each site to win a free trip." I want to make sure that everyone is aware that this bulk email and the "newsletter" post here in General Chatter was entirely on the part of the new owners. Although they use the account name "admin" this breach of privacy was not in any way taken lightly by your long term admins of RRnet. I have asked Cayne to draft and post a formal apology and clarification on his position however as of this posting he has failed to respond to the request. As part of the admin team I can only apologize and let you know that we are attempting to work with the new owners to see that this kind of thing does not happen again.

Until such time as we hear from Cayne here is the link to the current privacy statement. This link can also be found at the bottom of every page.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/privacy-policy.php

·
Community Manager
800 Posts
Announcement Regarding the Newsletters/Emails from AutoGuide.com

Hello everyone, my name is Cayne from AutoGuide.com. Regarding the newsletter and email that was sent out recently, there is an option to not receive any future emails if you chose not to. The decision is totally up to you. At the bottom of the newsletter there should be instructions on how to unsubscribe yourself which will prevent you from receiving future newsletters, contests and give-a-ways from AutoGuide itself.

If you choose to continue to be a part of it, you don’t have to sign up for anything and I can also assure you that your personal information will not be shared with anyone.

If you have any further question please shoot me PM or email me at [email protected].

Thank you for time and support!

Cheers,
Cayne

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Re: Announcement Regarding the Newsletters/Emails from AutoGuide.com

Yes I do have a question:

How bout an 'opt in' rather than an 'opt out'? Have a quick one-time pop up window with a question: Would you like to recive our attractive bulk mailings?

Alternatively I think if you send a carefully worded bulk mail with the 2 options - in or out - and links for people to click AND NO OTHER ADS most people would be understanding too.

Start sending large amounts of mail and you are going to lose more members before they opt out.

As a vendor I can assure you we want no part in spamming RR.net users.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

At the bottom of the newsletter there should be instructions on how to unsubscribe yourself which will prevent you from receiving future newsletters, contests and give-a-ways from AutoGuide itself.
Would you do this with an otherwise unknown to you company? Do you give your account info to Mr Ngorre Mbacksi from Nigeria?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Not to mention it also stops correspondence from admins as a whole. Not cool, as I said before.
Bow if there was a "Stop getting bulk mail crap from new site owners", then it would be checked for sure;-)

Martin

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts

Now now Martin, I should have clarified that the mods have been advised that this is simply not spam. A bulk email to every member advertising a fabulous vacation is simply not spam. A bulk email to every member trying to get them to "like" their FaceBook page is simply not spam. Having a bulk email that ends up in most peoples spam folders is simply not spam. No Martin, these things from our illustrious new owners simply are not spam, these are "contests and real opportunities from Autoguide itself".

Bt the way, sales has suggested to one of our long term vendors to utilize bulk mail instead of posting in the forums. Naturally this simply would not be spam either, it would be an opportunity to view information in an alternative environment.

Quite frankly it all sounds like a genuine opportunity to excersize our olfactory prowess in the company of final stage recycled vegetation of the bovine variety.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts