RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- I have an 04 Mark III Range Rover with 175k. When in traffic for a prolonged period of time and/or if I do a lot of stop and go driving the transmission doesnt want to go above 3rd gear. I can shift it manually, but the revs still stay above 3000. If I turn the engine off for 10 minutes it shifts fine. Also, on the highway everything works well. Short of a new tranny, does anyone have any thoughts? Oil cooler possibly? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
228 Posts
Blocked gearbox oil cooler. Lots of stuff on these forums regarding this. RRPhil has a lot of data regarding this type of fault and has some excellent write ups.

The engine will stay above 3000RPM to ensure the gearbox oil flow through the oil cooler is increased to gain maximum cooling. Your gearbox oil temp is too high and wil not achieve enough cooling with all that stop/start traffic.

Do a search for this fault on this forum, and source a new oil cooler as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
517 Posts
you may also want to check your radiator out as well, as if that get's clogged that can also reduce flow to Trans Cooler...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I also had this problem and read a lot about it here on the forum. I have since replaced my radiator and I have not had the problem since. What I read states that the bottom 6 rows of the radiator are for the transmission cooler and they get gummed up. A sign for me was opening the red drain valve on the radiator and hardly anything came out. Shortly after the radiator began leaking and I replaced it with an OEM Behr unit I got from e-bay for about $300.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts