RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my wifes 97 Range rover at times starts and then runs really rough on low idle and dies. Car shakes. It seems to do this more when its hot. Any ideas of what I can check?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It also finally idles fine after you give it alot of gas during the start. I'm going to replace the fuel filter this weekend. And finally change out the dang blend motor!

·
Registered
701 Posts
My guess might be vapor lock. Planes will do this when the engines have been running for awhile and the weather is hot, you shut it down and its nearly impossible to start. You have to give it a ton of gas to get the engine(s) going. My friend's honda also does this... Him and I still don't know why. Your fuel pump might not be supplying enough pressure. Have you measured the pressure yet? You can do so by using a simple tire pressure gauge on the fuel rail.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine was doing something similar, hard starting when hot, run rough and sometimes die. Cold starts were always perfect.
I was also seeing that some of the computer functions were way off. Avg MPG was showing 11mpg when the redundant backup system I installed (pen and paper) showed closer to 18.

Turned out to be a fuel pump on the way out. Dropped the tank replaced the entire assembly, and I've never seen the problem since. I know that one can just replace the fuel pump itself out of the whole fuel sending mechanism, but time was more of a factor for me given the miles I drive...

·
Registered
248 Posts
lrscott said:
My guess might be vapor lock. Planes will do this when the engines have been running for awhile and the weather is hot, you shut it down and its nearly impossible to start. You have to give it a ton of gas to get the engine(s) going. My friend's honda also does this... Him and I still don't know why. Your fuel pump might not be supplying enough pressure. Have you measured the pressure yet? You can do so by using a simple tire pressure gauge on the fuel rail.
Isn't vaporlock virtually eliminated with fuel injection? I haven't had my plane out in a while, so can't say for sure... `)

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi im new here, i just purchased a RR 1996 and I had the same problem, the car stars when cold, after 10 min the car the gauge start going up and down It sounds like lights going dimer until it dies. when you tried to start the car againg nothing happens, no a single sound of starting after 20 min to leave them if you tried to start the car, the car start again without problems but after a 10 min the same problem. I took it with my mechanic and he check the gasoline pump and he said its fine, the pressure of the engine its good, he change the pump relays but still have the same sintom, have no idea whats going on and I don't know if it is a electricalm problem or what, alternator is good and it has a new battery any sugestion please!!!!!!! the car has been there since i did buy it

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi its me again, i just check in this forum something thats similar what i having, i just read about the CRANK POSITION SENSOR 8-0= and they describe something similar that i have about the car when its warm died... could it be the problem? if so i just check some autoparts and i found one on 51.00 with shipping please help me to figure out this car has almost 2 months park

·
Registered
701 Posts
purplereptile, Could be a number of things. Have you pulled any codes off of it? I might suspect the throttle position sensor, but idk. Mine has done this before with the idle acting strange. It was power related, if i started it on a low battery (REALLY LOW) the idle would act very strange until i restarted it. Did you do anything to the vehicle that might have caused this? I.e. changed the ground and didn't hook it up properly? There really are a ton of things that can cause this.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Isn't vaporlock virtually eliminated with fuel injection? I haven't had my plane out in a while, so can't say for sure... `)
We had a Cessna 414 at one point that was fuel injected. It was notorious for vapor locking the moment you shut those crappy continental's down. I remember having the in-laws in the back and sat there cranking the engines for 10 min. The look on their face was hysterical. I've had carburated 172s fire right up after you shut them down for a couple of min in mid summer. It just depends on the engine. It seems that the lycomings tend to be a bit more eager to start based on my experiences.

·
Registered
5 Posts
lrscott said:
purplereptile, Could be a number of things. Have you pulled any codes off of it? I might suspect the throttle position sensor, but idk. Mine has done this before with the idle acting strange. It was power related, if i started it on a low battery (REALLY LOW) the idle would act very strange until i restarted it. Did you do anything to the vehicle that might have caused this? I.e. changed the ground and didn't hook it up properly? There really are a ton of things that can cause this.

thanks for your respond, here is the thing, I purchase this RR from a guy on craiglist, we drove the car from hollywood to Santa ana CA aprox 45miles, there was no problem, until we get home I turn off the car, when I tried to turn on the RR to put it in the garage, the RR didn't start, first it sound like the battery was complety dead, but the battery its brand new, after 30min tried to start the car and it works, and I park the RR, days after I took the RR to the mecanic and he read no codes at all, and the check engine light turns off, and he told me that everything was fine, my wife when to pick up the car and she said after driving like 10 min the car was acting weird, and it died, when she tried to turn on the RR nothing happend, after 2 hrs I went to take the car back to the mecanic ...( like 10 min driving) and after 10min the card died and i have to wait like 20min for the RR start again, I realize that the car start only in neutral after it died. the mecanic doesn't really know what's the problem and I don't really know to much about cars Never touch anything

·
Registered
701 Posts
When does it die exactly? Does it only die at stops or does it do it under load, etc.? You might want to consider getting an OBD scanner of your own. I got one for 12 bucks on ebay. It can read engine codes and live data and has kept me away from the mechanic and saved me tons of money. If you do get the scanner on it again, read what the live data is, specifically from the O2 sensors and MAF sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
lrscott said:
When does it die exactly? Does it only die at stops or does it do it under load, etc.? You might want to consider getting an OBD scanner of your own. I got one for 12 bucks on ebay. It can read engine codes and live data and has kept me away from the mechanic and saved me tons of money. If you do get the scanner on it again, read what the live data is, specifically from the O2 sensors and MAF sensor.

It just die, while running, gauge goes up and down and start loosing power until it dies.. when you tried to start the car again no luck you have to wait at least 30 min to start it again and after 10 min same problem, i just talk with the mecanic and he said that is has to be an electric problem becouse for no reason the car shut off while driving, alternator ok battery ok relays ok fuel pump ok, man this is crazy!!! :( thanks for taking your time answering my questions sorry I can't give you more details. to be honest I don't know anything about mecanic... but if you have a question about computers or cellphones I will be glad to help you :D

·
Registered
701 Posts
Another thing that you might try, mainly because its cheap (and I should have recommended it in the first place)... The relay or fuse for the fuel pump, EFI etc. might have a hairline crack in it. The contacts heat up and cause the metal to expand and then cause a break in the connection. You have to let it cool for them to regain contact. This isn't a common problem, but I've seen it happen before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
lrscott said:
Another thing that you might try, mainly because its cheap (and I should have recommended it in the first place)... The relay or fuse for the fuel pump, EFI etc. might have a hairline crack in it. The contacts heat up and cause the metal to expand and then cause a break in the connection. You have to let it cool for them to regain contact. This isn't a common problem, but I've seen it happen before.

thanks Im going to check and I will inform you... thanks in advance for all your time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts