RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to do away with the typical P38 issues and do a complete swap to a mechanical set up.
Either 5.3/6.0 Chevy or a 302/351 ford with there usual 4x4 transmissions.
I know they will not work with the factory front and back rearends so those will have to be swapped as well.

Questions...
Do I have room to make the swap under the RR? Swapping drivetrains as stated would move the shafts and transfer case to the other side of the vehicle.

When I make the swap to a carb. Set up with all manual pumps and gauges how hard is it going to be to go ahead and remove all the factory computer and wiring set up? Ie..
In other words what can I remove and still have working windows, lights, and so on? Or is it all connected to the computer?
I'm guessing I will most likely need to rewire the windows, lights, and so on to a direct contact bypassing all computer controls?

Brakes?
Is there a kit or a way to change out the current brake set up for a booster type set up that still jave good braking ability?

Weight reduction?
Removing all the RR items that I will no longer need like most of the heavy suspension, computers and wiring, air ride, brake set up, and so on is there other items I'm not thinking about that I could remove to save weight?

I will be doing manual gauges (kinda like the florda 5.0 done in mustang's if you know what that is) factory cluster removed and mechanical round gauges installed with a custom panel.

Any info for this build would be great if it has been done before. I just can find much other than a few videos on YouTube of motor only swaps.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
You don't need to swap everything, the BECM will do its job of controlling windows and lights regardless of engine control. You will have to add an engine running system for things like A/C and heated screen, but otherwise it should work. Most items can be operated without the engine running anyway.
If you do insist on replacing everything, the best way will be to completely strip the Range Rover and start from a bare shell. Not sure what would be the point though...

Filip

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
while not innovative as it has been done before with discovery 2, (mongos on discoweb. com) where he went diesel, manual, ford hd axles 38 inch tires and last he had planned on leaf spring conversion and by numerous specialty shops on defenders, (granted defender is all manual thus no electronics to delete on contend), the p38 has been somewhat of a blank canvas.

Left lane trucking has installed an LS motor and matching trans, a recent added member suggests his rear axle is a ford 9 inch and in the past 2 yrs someone suggested the idea of replacing the BECM functions with a relay bank.
it is unknown how may other p38 owners, have embarked on similar projects but never divulged outcomes.

anything can be done and you are the only one who can reason transforming your p38, but if planning on going thru and investing all that effort, time and money to end with what it may basically be a domestic american vehicle, why not just procure the domestic suv of your choosing and modify to your specs and liking.
it would take less engineering and modifying effort as aftermarket parts are readily available as bolt on and tested. because aftermarket custom parts are geared towards domestic vehicles, your outcome would not need the possibility of constant re-engineering and adjustment.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
To each his own I guess. But to me, you are losing the good points of the RR and gaining not much. Maybe more power and questionable improvements to reliability. Have you driven a P38? You will be adding weight since those things you mention are relatively light and the engine and running gear replacements will be heavier. P38's have an uncanny ability to find traction where vehicles like Ford and Chevy can't due to the traction control and viscous coupling 4x4 system. Likewise, the LR braking system is better and changing that system out only avoid replacement of the expensive pump seems like a bad idea. You will build a less capable vehicle with little resale and likely niggling problems due to retrofits and mods.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
353 Posts
P38's have an uncanny ability to find traction where vehicles like Ford and Chevy can't due to the traction control and viscous coupling 4x4 system.
yea no. everybody in the classic world knows manual CDL > VC. Ally 5.3 + 4L60E weighs no more than the Buick V8 + 4HP24. Regardless the P38's drivetrain isn't really all that temperamental, decent reliability upgrades are almost always offset by the build cost. Capability + smiles per gallon are priceless though.

OP have you pinned your cylinder liners yet? Do it if you haven't, usually will permanently stop your engine from tapping.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
I am not sure I understand your goal. If you want a better transmission and more torque, just buy a manual model. My p38 had the bog standard r380 and it was very good to the 340k when I sold it.
The engine is never the 'issue' in my opinion. Corrosion in cables and the central locking can be, suspension is nice on air but you can go for coil if you prefer a harder ride.
Most that come into our workshop have electronic problems or sometimes a bad gearbox if they are automatic. We had one that overheated, due to bad maintenance and skimping on coolant.

All other problems usually originate in dodgy modifications.

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Annette, Phillip is in North Carolina. That's about as NAS as you can get. The NAS market has never had manual transmissions in any Range Rover.

Martin's project was just to see if he could do it and to be able to buy new toys for his shop. "All other problems usually originate in dodgy modifications."There was nothing "dodgy" about Martin's Ls conversion. In fact every original accessory and option works just as it did with Rover running gear.

We have a lot of extremely
knowledgeable and creative members that do top quality work on their rigs. I would prefer they be encouraged instead of being dismissed.

Folks enjoy tinkering with their p38s. Scotty was the best at adding options to his milk wagon. Since he was parting out P38s several years ago he had the ability to do factory installs with proper parts and harnesses to create a one of kind P38 just the way he wanted it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts