RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
VC went on my 1994 4.2 LWB County. (Blew a hole in the rear diff, but's another story.) I'm having a heck of a time getting the right transfer case replacement. One RR breaker sent me the wrong one, then the second one sent did match the one in my truck, but it was defective.

Another RR breaker sent me a transfer case slightly different from the one in my truck and swears that there's only model available for a 94 Classic.

Is there any significant difference if my truck has interlock? (I believe that it does; you have to press the brake to engage Park.)

My truck is a low mileage stock LWB and I can't imagine that the transfer case could have been switched out before I bought it.....

Any ideas? Anybody rebuild these for an affordable price?

Any suppliers of used ones you can point me to?

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
330 Posts
Which breakers have you been using?
If you haven't, I would contact Paul Grant who is in CT. If he can't help you try Will Tillery or Drillbit. Both are down south.
If you can not find their contacts here, try over on discoweb.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
I was under the impression LT230's and Borg Warner units are interchangeable, is this not true?

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I was under the impression LT230's and Borg Warner units are interchangeable, is this not true?
LT230s lock, BWs have viscous coupling, but if you are wondering can they be swapped, then yes they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
first of all, your truck comes equipped from factory with a borg warner transfer case, it was fitted to all classics from 89 to 95, as stated above it can be retrofitted to use an lt230 with minor mods.

you need to identify which style of t case was in your vehicle at time of failure and if that is what you want to refit.

the bw is chain driven and has a sealed look to it, the lt230 is gear driven and it has an oil pan, it has all kinds of parts that can be unbolted, they are very different.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have two classics one has the disco version lt230
Just go to the disco version and be done with it no more dried up binding VC s

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
You will also need to replace the front axle as the BW is left side drive and the LT is right side.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You will also need to replace the front axle as the BW is left side drive and the LT is right side.
bw comes in two versions, right hand output for the classic and left hand output for the p38. also the p38 version has electronic control selectors, the classic version is manual control.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
I stand corrected.
Live and learn, thank you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A question about LT230s ; are there different versions for vehicles with electrical and mechanical speedometers?
I might need one to convert my '92 , but I'm not sure any LT230 will work. I need a working speedo.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
A question about LT230s ; are there different versions for vehicles with electrical and mechanical speedometers?
I might need one to convert my '92 , but I'm not sure any LT230 will work. I need a working speedo.
if you're using the t case out of a d2, you will have to install the tail shaft housing as the d2 shaft does not have the provision for speed sensor. the d1 came with a direct bolt on the housing speed sensor, it can be removed and your existing transducer pigtail can be retrofitted as direct install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts