RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
80,000 miles ago, I overhauled my 3.9 litre RRover, but knowing next to nothing about the hydraulic valve lifters, I did nothing to them, thinking that little could be done to them, since they hydraulically are self adjusting---WRONG, they are noisy, tap, tap, tap! I think that I heard somewhere sometime that there is, indeed a way, or ways, to add a kit or something to adjust them so they are no longer noisy. Please, you experienced engine rebuilders, how can I make the Rover hydraulic lifters quite?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
149 Posts
Did you replace the lifters when you rebuilt the engine?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I overhauled mine, similar to yours and replaced the cam and lifters. The stock cam was badly worn in mine.

Even with the new hydraulics it taps surprisingly loudly at idle. I'm thinking it's just the nature of the beast??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I didn't replace any of the lifters, because inspection showed them to be in good, unworn condition, with no scoring at all anywhere. Think I will put in new ones now, though. For ones that don't come out easily, do you think I can pull them out with a strong cow magnet, pulling them upward?

·
Registered
280 Posts
What "weight" of engine oil are you running? Are you also using a zinc additive? I'm running 15W40...weather hasn't been
stable here temp wise...it's 50 F one day and 18 F the next. On the colder days I have lifter tap on start up, just
briefly that is. Some of it has to do with the aluminum engine too. Usually bad lifter(s) will be accompanied by
backfiring...not always though. I've found there's no two issues with Rovers the same let alone resolved
by the same methods. I've pulled lifters with magnets before, used to use trans fluid on the stuck ones...
If temps are staying a constant 30 F or below I run 10W40.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been using straight 30 W oil, no zinc additive. This summer I think that I will pull the lifters and install new ones.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh and using the correct lube oil filter from a reputable supplier is a good
idea too...this is just MY experience with filters, so take it for whats worth:
I'm a Ford guy at heart and am fond of the 351W...if you take an older engine
that's not designed to run high lube oil pressure but run at high volume, install
one of these new style more restrictive filters, the lifters will knock like crazy.
After installing new lifters, use appropriate filter, lube oil and a little zinc and
you shouldn't have any more issues. Have you checked the valve train yet to
see if any rocker arm assemblies might need to be retorqued?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I overhauled mine, similar to yours and replaced the cam and lifters. The stock cam was badly worn in mine.

Even with the new hydraulics it taps surprisingly loudly at idle. I'm thinking it's just the nature of the beast??
The engine should idle quietly if all is in good order. What brand lifters did you use? Aftermarket ones like crower, etc work fine but are louder. Genuine Land Rover ones will be quiet.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Actually mine is a Crower cam and lifters. Nailed it in one! ;-))
The engine should idle quietly if all is in good order. What brand lifters did you use? Aftermarket ones like crower, etc work fine but are louder. Genuine Land Rover ones will be quiet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you checked the valve train yet to
see if any rocker arm assemblies might need to be retorqued?

YES, I DID.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Another consideration is that if you replace the lifters, you must replace the camshaft at the same time, or you will kill it quickly.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Another consideration is that if you replace the lifters, you must replace the camshaft at the same time, or you will kill it quickly.
Most accurate post in ages. late Classic and P38 cams are soft. Their lobes camber and slant after about 60K easily. If you are at all serious about a top end job ALWAYS replace the cam shaft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts