Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rpm going up and down at idle and less power & engine noise

hi I'm new here and I drive a 2007 Range Rover sport hse, I have been starting the truck and been realizing that the rpm are going up and down in idle+park also the fan is making a lot of noise and power has definitely decreased please anything helps, oh btw my trucks rear suspension died so the truck won't lift back up

· Registered
192 Posts
Re: rpm going up and down at idle and less power & engine no

So it seems the truck is undrivable if the rear suspension is on the bump-stops. Therefore, how are you diagnosing decreased power? The first task I would undertake is to fix the rear suspension and proceed from there.

What kind of noise is the fan making? Squeal? Ticking? Loud rush of air? Is the fan spinning? Perhaps a vacuum leak somewhere is causing your idling issues. Is the check engine light illuminated? How many miles are on your truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

the truck is drivable but is pretty bump and the noise is like a loud rush of air and I have 310,000 miles

· Premium Member
2,471 Posts

The erratic idle is likely the throttle body being carbon fouled, a cleaning should take care of that. Do a search on here for lots of good information on that. You may want to change your oil and toss on a new PCV valve while you're at it.

The fan clutch is electrically controlled for lock up, so you have two possibilities there. It is either failed and fully locked up, or it is being commanded to lock up for additional cooling. You can temporarily disconnect it electrically to see if it is mechanical(do this with the key off) If it quiets down when disconnected, you need to look into the cooling system and sensors to see why the fan is being forced on fully. However, the fan could be electrically failed and not 'understand' its commanded state, so it defaults to full lock as well.

Fix the rear suspension before continuing to drive or you may cause far more severe damage to the suspension/driveline, not to mention that without proper spring pressure on the wheels, overall stability of the vehicle is reduced, making it somewhat unsafe to drive normally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.