Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RoverParts.com Brake Rebuild Kit Front & Rear (03'-05' HSE)

Hi Guys,

I am going to replace all rotors and pads on my 2003 HSE 4.4.

This package seems like a great deal: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8825GA Has anyone ordered it before?

I have searched this forum and I see mixed reviews on Disk Italia Rotors & Pads, as well as negatives on EBC Rotors and positive reviews for Porterfield & Ferodo pads.

I like the appearance of the cross drilled rotors however right now budget is important (in addition I will not be going to the track at all, just using it for a daily commute of 40 miles round trip (mostly highway). I realize if I am going to upgrade, now is the time to do it and I do not want to kick myself later. However, if the performance gain is negligible, its hard for me to justify paying 3X just for appearance. But then again, I could justify doing it if I would get 2X or 3X the life out of it plus virtually no brake dust versus a lot of brake dust.

I'd really like to pull the trigger this week so I can work on it this weekend, but right now I am a bit torn.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Re: RoverParts.com Brake Rebuild Kit Front & Rear (03'-05' H

Have used them for years. Parts descriptions are lacking so may need to correspond. A recent purchase and it took 1.91 cdn $s to purchase pound sterling. Shipping will likely add 30 to 40 pounds to the cost. Your exchange rate is likely 1.5 Us per pound or better so it adds up. We are always at a disadvantage buying from the US as suppliers often will not ship or charge a lot to ship across the border and then we have to ante up for duty and Hst (tax). Once you order it may take a bit of time to get a shipping quote which you add to your bill on checkout. We have received in a week (when payment processed) but now I am waiting from june 26 for my new ebox fan to arrive from Island 4x4. Consider to get rotors that are coated with zinc or similar to slow rusting of the visible hub. Always looked after properly by them.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
206 Posts

No, never heard of them. How is it possible they have a pair of front drilled rotors for only 63.33 pounds? Seems too good to be true. Anybody use these before?

http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/front-brake-disc-drilled-grooved-l322-0205-da4609-p-3173.html
Island are one of the biggest suppliers in the UK. I use them whenever needed and the service has been first class every time.
What you have to remember is that the dealers and parts industry in the US takes the piss out of you all. It is a closed market as you are at their mercy for parts unless you have the knowhow to use UK suppliers. They can charge you what they like as a majority of US owners just pay up.
But more and more of your fellow US owners are realising that there is another market out there and even on this site, a lot of you now use the UK for parts as it is so much cheaper. As you can see, diff is in Canada and he recommends them.
As an aside, those discs (rotors) you have linked to are Britpart. A lot of us in the UK avoid Britpart as they are not as good as others. The Terrafirmas I linked to are fine and only £29.99 (about $40) .......... the exchange in your favour is very good at the moment.
Island have realised the situation and are now acting accordingly and supplying the US with a good service.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Good to know Diff & Shep! Thanks for the heads up :thumb:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So I think I am going to get the Terrafirmas for the front. Do you know if they are zinc coated (to slow the rusting on the outside)? Or will they look as brown/rusted as my stock ones in a few months?

Also, I do not see Terrafirmas for the rear. Just Britt Part (drilled & grooved) or OEM. Since it is the back, would Britt Part be sufficient? Or should I just go with the OEMs?

Lastly, what pads do you recommend I go with? Delphi or EBC?

I appreciate it...

·
Registered
386 Posts

For the most part, they are way overpriced and at times misleading about the manufacturer of parts.

They do price match, but they make you jump through hoops, that it's just not worth it.

I try to avoid them, if I can.

PartsGeek.com usually has the best price.

·
Registered
133 Posts

I purchased that very package several months ago. I like having to only order one package instead of putting a package together. All installed with no problems except the front brake pad sensor did not fit. I just tucked it away in that I do the maintenance and running the pads down to the sensor are not an issue. Still produces lots of dust though.
I have also bought parts from these guys with good pricing and service: https://landrovermerriamparts.com/index.cfm

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks Wayne.

Thanks Ethosb, I never heard of that site either. Nice diagrams on there :thumb:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
206 Posts

So what did you purchase in the end and what kind of service did you get?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I went with used Brembo calipers for the front from a 2006 and ordered new Brembo pads & Britpart front drilled & slotted rotors as well as new Britpart rear calipers, pads, & rotors.

I ordered from Island 4x4. So far customer service has been very good. I ordered everything on Thursday and some items required 2-3 days for them to receive and they will be shipping tomorrow which seems reasonable to me. :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts