Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've bought an engine from a 2002 Range Rover with 3500 miles, with information it had sat for 2 years before being sold. Now, I know that the Rover V8s are finicky with self priming, so what precautions should I take before dropping it in? All gaskets will be replaced besides head gaskets, so while I'm near the oil pump, shall I pack it with vaseline or assembly grease? What other ways are there?

Let me know, thanks in advance. Just now starting to order any parts so let me know if I need anything specific for an engine that's been sitting.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
772 Posts
As you’ve said, these engines are self priming, if your worried give it a crank over by hand, I’ve rebuilt quite a lot of these engines with just a smear of oil in the new pump, they suck the oil up with no problem. What’s more important is don’t use cheap oil filters, if your doing an oil change, fill the filter before fitting.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,118 Posts
The book says to pack the oil pump with vaseline.

Sorry belay that, the 4.6 overhaul manual says to lubricate all the bits with engine oil and bung it back together, the newer pumps must be self priming.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
P38 front covers are self priming. I have rebuilt dozens with no packing etc like dizzy driven pumps. Within half a dozen revolutions you have oil flow. Your assembly grease and oils used on all parts will eliminate costly friction for the first moments of start up testing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts