RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with diagnostics.I came home last week and parked the Range Rover and a half hour later it would not start.All the lights in dash come on,but when I turn the key nothing but the click of the starter relay (also the display for the heater goes out).I have a new battery and a new fuse box.I jumped the starter solenoid and got it to crank over but it wont start.At the moment the only fault it gives is key in ignition after I remove the key.I tried to start it in neutral but its the same.I have ran out of ideas(and beer) so if there is :pray: Anyone near or around Orange County,NY with some type of portable diagnostics equipment that would be willing to travel to Middletown NY and Help me out,Im willing to pay for your services.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
865 Posts
Try another relay, even though you can here it click dont mean its making contact.
Also the security feature is if you try and start it via the solenoid on starter then it cuts ignition, it senses this via the crank sensor.

Have you checked the main maxi fuses, I forget which one is the starter solenoid fuse but check it out on cover
A test light comes in handy with problems like this but not on all circuits, starter circuit ok to use test light
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,820 Posts
Sounds more like dirty cables or a weak battery. Just because the battery is new doesn't mean it is getting charged properly. Clean up your contacts, especially grounds, and test your battery voltage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK,I did try a different relay but it was a used relay not a new one,still "nothing'.I had already checked all the maxi fuses(they were fine)but the fuse box did not look healthy so I put a new one in,(which didn't change anything).And I guess the next step is go through each ground contact and repair and replace whatever I find!Thank's for all the input :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Nelson as regards ignition key just get some electrical contact cleaner and spray the ignition barrel.
As you insert the key it forces back a swith plate which tells the BECM the key is inserted,but after time crap builds up and somtimes stops the swich returning after you have removed the key.

The arrow indicates the swithplate that can stick.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Try replacing the cable that runs from the starter to the battery positive terminal. I had a very similar issue and that fixed it. The cable looked fine but was heavily corroded inside. You can get 2 gauge wire and terminal connectors from a local parts store for about $15. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Sounds like the engine ecu has lost contact with the becm.

Get some diagnostics on there & resync it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Rick-the-Pick said:
Sounds like the engine ecu has lost contact with the becm.

Get some diagnostics on there & resync it in.
Rick,
Just to settle my curiosity,if the problem is as above,would there be/not be a message on the message centre " engine disabled" or such like :?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,820 Posts
Disabled due to alarm and loosing synch are two different things. Rick is saying it sounds more like a case of Rangie Alzheimers than a case of someone triggering an alarm issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Blackbox-Solutions BeCM Sync-Mate is giving me a single RED flash after the initial BLUE light.Going by the Sync-Mate user guide,this means "EMS did not respont to wakeup".I think it could be as simple as a wire being dead/broken/not grounded,or an ECU gone bad!?..I already checked all the ground points(RAVE).I will keep at it,any sugestions I'll be listening(I'll replace that starter wire today)Thanks everyone for all your input,Nelson. :think:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm under the impression that if the BeCM lost sync with the ECU/ECM the engine would still turn over,it just wouldnt fire.Am I correct? :?:
 

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
Joined
·
85 Posts
nelson845 said:
I'm under the impression that if the BeCM lost sync with the ECU/ECM the engine would still turn over,it just wouldnt fire.Am I correct? :?:
This is exactly what I was thinking. Most cars the starter is wired direct from the ignition switch, and the engine will crank independent of the ECU. Since his is not cranking it seems like something else could be the issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
nelson845 said:
My Blackbox-Solutions BeCM Sync-Mate is giving me a single RED flash after the initial BLUE light.Going by the Sync-Mate user guide,this means "EMS did not respont to wakeup".I think it could be as simple as a wire being dead/broken/not grounded,or an ECU gone bad!?..I already checked all the ground points(RAVE).I will keep at it,any sugestions I'll be listening(I'll replace that starter wire today)Thanks everyone for all your input,Nelson. :think:
Is your engine management system the GEMs or the Bosch.I was under the impression the BBS sync mate only works for the Bosch(motronic) enigine management system :think:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
E36 Phantom said:
nelson845 said:
I'm under the impression that if the BeCM lost sync with the ECU/ECM the engine would still turn over,it just wouldnt fire.Am I correct? :?:
This is exactly what I was thinking. Most cars the starter is wired direct from the ignition switch, and the engine will crank independent of the ECU. Since his is not cranking it seems like something else could be the issue.
When my GEMs system BECM went into an alarmed state and the BECM had to be reset by Rick ,the engine would not turn over at all when trying to start the engine.The message centre said " Engine disabled".Also entering the EKA code would not disarm the system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
hi just had a problem locking mine on the remote would unlock but not lock after reading this post sorted the problem if the display say ignition key in the flap on the ignition has stayed in as per photoin previous post just got a small screw drive and flipped it out no message now and car locks and unlocks as it should do on remote .

neil :dance:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John W said:
nelson845 said:
My Blackbox-Solutions BeCM Sync-Mate is giving me a single RED flash after the initial BLUE light.Going by the Sync-Mate user guide,this means "EMS did not respont to wakeup".I think it could be as simple as a wire being dead/broken/not grounded,or an ECU gone bad!?..I already checked all the ground points(RAVE).I will keep at it,any sugestions I'll be listening(I'll replace that starter wire today)Thanks everyone for all your input,Nelson. :think:
Is your engine management system the GEMs or the Bosch.I was under the impression the BBS sync mate only works for the Bosch(motronic) enigine management system :think:
You have a point there,My truck has the GEMs system. :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
If I understand correctly,when you turn key to position 3, you hear RL16(starter relay engage) but the starter solenoid does not engage,so the starter motor does not tturn.You have jumped the solenoid terminals ie shorted them together and then starter motor turns.

Have you tried applying 12V direct to the solenoid coil terminal to see if the solenoid then engages and starter motor turns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Another thought is the shift interlock switch.If this switch that prevents the vehicle being started in any position other than P or N then I think it will give the same symptoms you are experiencing :think:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes,I jumped the starter solenoid with the key in position III,it cranked over but would not fire.I tried to start it in neutral and it did the same.I decided to try to crank it in gear and it's the same in park,reverse and any other gear! :think:How can I check the shift interlock switch. :?:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top