RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am considering offering a Rovacom lite for hire to forum members and wanted to gauge if there would be any interest and get input from you.

I have not worked out any details but it would probably be for a few days at a time either collected from me or sent out via courier.

It runs on a Toughbook laptop and is currently set up for P38 and Disco 2 with some L322 modules but Classic would probably be added and L322 could also be added in future.

As I have said I would welcome input from members regarding interest and possible pricing.

I don't think this breaches the forum rules but please let me know if there is an issue. If I were to go ahead with this, I would certainly contact the moderators.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
P38 - not had any issues I couldn't deal with yet or local garage who replaced rear suspn airbags and reset/calibrated 7 days after purchase - Ouch! but still got them bought and fitted for not very much more than I could have bought the parts (thank goodness for a good independent who appeared to pass on his trade discount) BUT I am confused at the myriad of BBS options so with no immediate (touching wood!!) a short term loan just to see what's what / 'playing' might be interesting - main issue I suspect is insurance/liability ~ "it worked when I sent it out but now it doesn't so you need to pay me £XXXX"

R

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Insurance would certainly be a problem and probably a prohibitively expensive one at that but beyond loss in transit which could be covered I figure that the Toughbook should be OK and the vehicle server is robust enough unless dropped and if it was damaged could be repaired or replaced at not huge expense, the real worth is in the activated software modules.

I have had a brief look at postage costs and properly insured it looks like being over £30 which may well just make it too expensive.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hiya Nomad
First let me state that I have no problem at all in supporting such a entreprenurial venture, however i can. In fact if i were still in the Uk, it's an avenue i might like to have explored myself.
The problem of course is the respectively large value in the software, especially if you add several models to the same system, but i think i might have an idea that would at least help some in a few ways.

Although not present on a Lite or on our current MSV-2 equipment, it's predecessor, the MSV and MV servers had the benefit of a separate removable License module. If i could sort you out one of these, which is already going to provide you with more robust hardware, we could set you up with a number of license modules on which we could split the licences by model, then you would only need to send the applicable module thus significantly reducing the value of the hired equipment should the unthinkable happen.

Anyway, just some food for thought that might well be of some help :thumb:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Colin

Thanks for your post and good wishes for the venture but in fact I have decided not to go ahead, rather a long story but a unit that I bought did not have all the modules active that I believed it did and the cost of adding these would push the overall cost way too high for me.

My primary goal was for servicing my P38 and my Classic, then for use with the P38 on expedition and also for servicing my fathers L322 (and mine when I eventually get one), I had thought that the unit I bought was set up to cover all these but it if fact does not. I have also been considering converting the P38 from manual to auto box and believe that the Rovacom would have enabled this. I thought about hiring it to the forum to try and offset some of the costs and also to make it available to forum members as a useful tool without these expense of buying one outright. Unfortunately without the L322 and Classic functionality I struggle to justify the cost and I could not afford to add the modules.

Thanks also for your offer of help with systems and modules, it looks like it would have been a good solution.

Kind regards
Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts